1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V 32" widescreen VS 42" rear projection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by severedhead, 22 Mar 2005.

1. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I've been shopping around for a new TV with a budget of £600 max and was originally planning on getting a 32" 100hz CRT widescreen, (not sure of which one yet though so any recommendations will be gratefully recieved!) when this 42" rear projection TV caught my eye in the local shop for not too much more.

Having never used one of these before I was wondering if they are any good? Something has to be wrong for them to have 10" more screen area and be the same price. I have read that the lamps in them can go after a while and are very costly to replace, if this is the case how long do they last?

Thanks.

2. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

The lamps will burn out after some time, the exact life for a bulb depends on the type of bulb. But do note that direct view LCD monitors also have lamps, although they are lower power and usually last a long time.
    From the user's manual:
    It's a LCD projector.
    The power usage is 160w from the user's manual, so I believe that it uses a HID lamp or maybe some very bright fluorescents. That type of bulb tends to last a long time, but turn down the contrast because that usually reduces the bulb power and makes it last longer. Changing the brightness only alters the LCD drive voltages.
    The interesting part is that black actually puts a greater strain on the LCD than white.
    Oh, and the back panel looks like it has the old DFP connectors instead of the modern DVI. But adapters are available from a good electronics store.

3. severedhead

A long time as in 5+ years? Will be used probably a few hours a day, more at weekends.

4. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I have always found the quality of rear projection sets to be rather poor compared to CRT models, the colours are never as vibrant and the picture not as sharp.

That's just my opinion though, and I have not seen the model you menion irl.

5. penski

penski BodMod

I'd initially say get the CRT.

Which one did you have in mind though?

What do you watch mainly?

TV?
    Digital?
    Cable/Satellite?
    DVDs?
    Console..?

*n

6. severedhead

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe CRT now due to potential lamp costs. Can anyone recommend a particular model? I've currently got my eye on 3, the Toshiba 32ZH46, the JVC AV-32X4 or the Loewe Aventos 3781. All go for around £500.
    As for the rear projector, I was looking at the Toshiba 42WH46.

Ideally I'd love a Philips 32PW9509C, I don't suppose anyone knows where I could pick one up uber cheap? Cheapest I've seen is just under £800.

It will mainly be used for DVDs, plus a bit of normal telly when the gf wants to watch eastenders and occasional console use.

7. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

rear projection blows...

what about a real projector? they start at £450 these days. :thumb:

8. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

Always check it out in reality, I've got a rear-projection tv from Toshiba and the bulbs lasted for around 4 odd years and shows no signs of slowing down!
    Quality is very good and nice crisp images but a lot of the rear-projection tv's are rubbish!

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

I personally hate rear-projection TV's...horrid image produced imo. I would say go with the CRT, or go for the real deal projector (like hazza suggested) :)

10. Dmc

Dmc Minimodder

I also have got a 42" rear-projection tv from Toshiba and the bulbs are still going strong 5 odd years later, I've had no problem from day 1 cost me a lot more back then £1,500

11. severedhead

Thanks for your input guys, after looking at numerous sets and shopping around I've decided on the Philips I wanted as I have found it for £700.

12. mushky

mushky gimme snails

13. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Have a look at makro, around 24 Tosh 42" rear projections were put on the floor (by Dodge) less then £600 too around £530 with VAT i think.

'doc

14. severedhead

I will consider it, thanks for the suggestion mushky. Almost at buying time so gotta try and find it in a shop to see it.

Definately gonna haave a look in Makro, I completely forgot about places like that for cheap prices. Thanks Murdoc!