1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AGP is back from the dead. Again.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 4 Sep 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. sunny_man

sunny_man What's a Dremel?

Christ. Now I gotta wait for the price of PCI-E 2 boards to come down to a reasonable level? Can't win.

3. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

So when do we get an 8800 that will fit in an ISA socket? :D

4. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

I can see some people have older motherboards and want better graphics but don't want to upgrade the whole shabang.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Three year+ old motherboards? That's nearly 4 chipset revisions and graphics product cycles out of date.

I see you have a LanParty 925X :blush: twas a nice board!

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I'm keeping the AGP spirit alive!

7. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Me too!

AGP forever .o/

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

still have an AGP board here.... but i wont upgrade the GC, i am planing on a total overhaul.

9. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I think the real reason these are coming out is to increase the penetration of DX10 so that more people can play the games.

With a full 8x bus and an 8800GTS 320 you could probably play Crysis on medium at least.

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Stoneage fools

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

lol. Yeah, I got an AGP board around too...or two....

12. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

My HTPC is AGP. Got a nice like 6200 (or something) in there. Passively cooled stock and s-video out. I see no need to upgrade that.

However, my last PC that I used for gaming was also AGP. Overclocked 7800GS. A real beaut of a card - the most powerful AGP card available in fact. But in order to upgrade the CPU, I had to upgrade the mobo. Which meant PCI-E. And DDR2. Not that I'm complaining of course.

AGP still has its place - there are some great cheap kit available that is fine for workstations/HTPCs/etc.

13. SJH

SJH Minimodder

I'm not quite in agreement with people that say AGP is "out of date". Like capnPedro says above, it still has its uses. "Out of date" implies that it simply can't be used anymore in any situation. I still have a machine that runs on AGP graphics and it works fine for what I use it for.

Sam

14. Lee @ Scan

Lee @ Scan Scan Computers

LOL :clap:

I know what you mean though, people expect to be able to get a all singing and dancing quad core supporting board and then whack their 4 year old AGP graphics card back into the system because it cost them 300 pounds when they bought it and want to squeeze every penny of usage out of it.

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Its a waste of resources... I wish AMD would make some socket A cpu's again instead of am2 :(

16. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

In my opinion, these recent AGP cards are good for those people that consider the GPU the most important part of the PC, and prefer to invest several times on a GPU rather than on a balanced updated system. But I admit that there may be some cases where it makes sense (thinking about expensive AGP based workstations).

In my case I did the exact opposite (which is considered a mistake by many :duh:). I have a core 2 duo 6600 with an Asrock 776dual-VSTA, 1 Gb DDR-400 dual channel and a MSI geforce ti-4200-8x (with video in) :naughty:. As I'm not a gamer and this board was very expensive at the time (I bought the retail box :wallbash:) I decided to update the motherboard and CPU. However, the overal performance of my system on a daily basis isn't very good, so I'm going to update the motherboard and the GPU (finally :blush:).

I said this to point out that Core 2 duo+AGP = to Asrock dual-VSTA series (weak) motherboards.

(It's just my opinion):blush:

I guess I'm one of those..... But wouldn't it make more sense to invest on making good AGP motherboards for state of the art CPUs instead of making state of the art AGP cards for older systems, as far as the squeeze-every-penny users are concerned?

17. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Just what I've been needing. The problem with ragging on people who still have AGP is this; A lot of people built they're computers before pci-e was out. And for people who are broke and in college (like myself), upgrading every time some new hardware tech comes out is quite impossible. And if you built your system with an agp and socket 754, you have to re-buy everything, not just a new cpu and mobo, but memory, psu, and graphics also. That's a whole new system save hdd and case, and you can't do it gradually it's all or nothing if you want a new gpu and cpu.

18. Pimp Daddy

Pimp Daddy Halt! Hammerzeit!

It makes sense to support this in some way because their are a lot of machines out there that only have the AGP socket on the motherboards. They'd be abandoning a sizable section of the customer base if they don't support it for the next few years.

19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I'm surprised, but happy. I have an old P4 northwood board and chip that I loved to death (the old Abit IC7-G), and I still have it sitting around. It's a great system and would be more than enough with a healthy overclock to handle most thing thrown at it, but it doesn't have onboard and my old AGP cards have long since joined the silicon gods. I wouldn't even mind paying a bit for something that could run a little newer stuff.

DX10 is actually a REASON to get more life out of AGP, since the API actually can offload a lot more to the graphics card in an efficient manner, whereas DX9 used to need to push things through the CPU. It would actually extend the life of those boards significantly!

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's the conflict between graphics manufacturers and chipset and CPU producers. One wants more market, the latter wants to drive new ones.

Tags: Add Tags