1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alienware Aurora 7500 with FX-60

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 11 Jan 2006.

1. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Nature, other generic flamebaiters, FFS, STFU please.

This thread is discussion about the review, not about how you hate alienware because they're pricey or mummy and daddy wouldn't buy you one from the start.

The wiring in these systems is a benchmark to us enthusiasts. Hell, it takes a LOT of work to make a system look that good. Sure, you may not like the bezel, or the moulded sides, but this is thick plastic, not the .10c **** on most cases that likes to break off the first time you open the USB door.

As to the price, what do you expect when there's past $3000 tied up before the motherboard and it's cards even hit the case? Or when you've just sunk $700 into the hard drives. Or maybe even the noise damping and ninja cables. Try getting somebody to do that for you, or to do it yourself, not cheap or easy.

So, to re-iterate, this is about the alienware review, not why you hate alienware.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion

2. Nature

Nature Minimodder

I never said I hate Alienware!!! Infact I said: "I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy this if I was rich!"

jeez...

3. solo

solo What's a Dremel?

OC

Hi

What I don't get in review is this.

I have the same CPU and mobo + 2 x 1 GIG sticks Patriot memory. I am using the December BIOS (1009) off the ASUS site and I can change the multipliers up and down. I'm running 14x200 now .....

4. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

This system is hideously overpriced!

/me runs from the bigz :lol:

5. customh

customh conflagration.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell are you thinking to post this??? We have been through this with nature and the last thing we need is another idiot saying this. RTFP and STFU

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I think it was meant in jest...

7. customh

customh conflagration.

God dangit..... I always take the bait..hook line and sinker..........

8. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

CL_Sarcasm "1" :D

9. customh

customh conflagration.

like i said, i take it every time...bah

10. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

lmao, that's a classic :clap: :D :cooldude: :hip:

11. customh

customh conflagration.

yeah.....i know

12. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Nature, you backtrack way too much on what you say. Considering the fact that your first post in the thread was this.
    And then you go to squeeze stuff like "The apeals of buying with Alienware are evident and obvious" inbetween outright bashing of the reviewed system. Now if the reviewed system was just out right a complete piece of ****, then we never would have had such an argument but that's not the case. And after repeated warnings from bigz about trolling, you troll. Honestly, that's just like adding "FLAME ON!" to the end of your post because you're just asking for it.

On a side note, :lol: @ customholle

13. Milz

Milz What's a Dremel?

if only i had the money :(

14. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

In all honesty, I'm a bit dissapointed about how long this 'fight' has been going on already...reading this thread really made my head hurt!

A few things I was wondering after reading the article:

Firstly, the lack of information about which type of X-Fi card the one that's used actually is?
    Checking the Alienware site, it would look like it's the 'xtreme music', correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't have hurt to put that detail in the actual spec. list.

This makes me wonder, why didn't they go all the way...I would've expected nothing less than the platinium (because of the better connection options of the front panel) and surely the Fatal1ty FPS would be even more appropriate and obvious choise for a top of the line gaming rig. I'm even more surprised by the fact that looking at Alienware's site for selecting components, there actually aren't any other X-Fi choises...don't really see why.

The second thing is availability...if I had the money and ordered one today, when would I actually have the system delivered?

I think that's pretty important, because we're already expecting the release of the new gpu's from the red and green corner... I for one would be pretty dissapointed to have ordered and paid - alot - for a system like this (without having the knowledge of the soon-to-come new products), and finding out after I would've gotten my system delivered that - if I had waited for just a while - I could have had the better card(s) for just a little more.

And no, I really don't need anyone telling me that no matter what, it's always going to be like that with computers, as I'm perfectly aware of it. Obviously the delivery time depends alot on what you order. I suppose I could've found this information on the site too...but then again, that wouldn't be much of a discussion now would it? Anyway, it wouldn't have hurt to have some sort of information about it in the actual article.

Not even having a choice for 2x 1gb memory when selecting components is completely and utterly incomprehensible.

And what comes to the cooling...I find air to be a pretty good solution, considering how complicated watercooling can get, especially when it's transported...perhaps there could be some other choises for cpu cooling though.

About the article:
    I have to say I too feel that it was a bit on the short side, but still it was a good read. And indeed it was nice to read of a complete system with FX-60 so soon after the release.

15. poo417

poo417 What's a Dremel?

While that is a vey fast system you can buy OEM with better spec for less, this system is from MESH computers, you can use the system config utility go look. I made up this spec.
    X-treme SLI - BTO
    £2792.34 £2792.34 Configure
    Delete

AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-60 with HyperTransport Technology
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition
    Brushed Aluminium ATX Midi Tower +550W PSU- Silver
    ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX
    4GB DDR 400 Memory (4x 1024MB)
    1000GB (2x 500Gb) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
    SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-Re-Writable +R/-R/RW
    2x 512MB nVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX - DVI - SLI Configuration
    CreativeLabs Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
    Classic Warranty - 3 Years Back-to-Base - Parts & Labour

Now this would be fast and not bad value :hehe:

Subtotal: £2831.34
    vat: £495.48
    Order Total: £3326.82
    Poo

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yo Biggie? What up now? Ban? ^^

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nope. In this context he makes a fair observation (even if I suspect he works for MESH ;) ).

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Because he created the account to post this spec's? ;)

19. poo417

poo417 What's a Dremel?

LOL

Hi, yes I thought it would look like that. I don't but I do own 1 that i bought for my better half a few years ago. She didn't want one that I built LOL. They do tend to be at a competitve price and well spec'd BUT their costomer services sucks so much I would recommend their comps but just hope that everything is ok with the order or you will spend weeks or month trying to sort it out. I have a mate that bought one last year on my recomendation he wanted the best of everything at the time so he coughed up £2500+ for the all sing beast. Then the problems began. They had no FX 55 CPU so order delayed. They then changed the spec on the website to 2 x 6800 ultra Sli (he ordered when it was 6800 gt i think) So he phoned up paid a few quid more (he thought) to upgrade. Then a week later his computer turned up..... nearly. A gorgeous 20" lcd and the top spec sound card and 2 x 6800 non ultra's. No break out box for sound card. After spending an hour or 2 on the phone he was then told they had no record of the upgrade order but they send out the box for the sound. After several more phone calls they agreed to take back the old cards and upgrade him for the difference of £100 i think it was. Then he said he had already paid. After checking his bank realised they had never taken payment, (doh) Then his chipset fan started dieing. It is now a year later and he still has the same spec. It is however nearly resolved. SO be warned, graet comps and price crap service.

p.s. another friend got a 17" crt instead of his 19 tft LOL :jawdrop:

Poo

20. liquid_gen

liquid_gen What's a Dremel?

Wow, that rig is incredible. It might have a huge price tag but for anyone who can afford it, well worth it.

Thinking of buying an Alienware system myself - a cheaper one, but I definitely want one with the X-Fi Fatality. Anyone know why they only offer the Xtreme Music version?

Tags: Add Tags