1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards AMD miniITX boards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Booti, 15 Feb 2013.

1. Booti

Booti Minimodder

I am after some advice on a miniITX board for my file / print /media server.
    At the moment i have an old ATOM board installed in a Fractal R2 mini NAS case (so i am limited to a 350W PSU, without upgrading the that as well)
    I am running 4 hard drives

I have been considering upgrading to something like an AMD A4 5300 FM2 chip to give the box a little more poke (doing file conversions etc), but i cannot find a miniITX FM2 board for sale anywhere (everywhere is out of stock)

My other alternative was a i3 chip, but the boards and chips make that solution way more expensive.

Any recommendation to companies selling AMD boards please, or a different solution?
    (I have also considered a HP microserver, but i cannot find any reviews that tell me how much faster the N40L (or the newer N52) chip is over my current ATOM)

Thanks in advance.

2. Booti

Booti Minimodder

Another question i have just thought of.
    I am currently running Vista on the server as i had spare copy.
    Would i see any improvement if i switched to Microsoft HomeServer?

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You could go for a Celeron or Pentium CPU and save quite a bit of money there. Performance is just as good in most purposes as an i3. I have H67 with a G620 for my server. It does what I need it to.

If you want to keep your current set up and get more performance, have you considered using linux or bsd instead of Windows? Using a much lighter os would certainly be of a benefit.

4. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

MSI do a fm2 mini itx board, its called a msi-fm2-a75-is e53, can't link on my phone. It is available in the UK at scan and there is also a fm2 mini itx board by Asrock.

5. Booti

Booti Minimodder

Thanks for the input.
    Im not good with Linux and too be honest just need it to work (i have a Raspberry Pi to play with Linux when i get 10 minutes)
    Ill certainly look at the Celeron / Pentium. Forgot about those

I have searched for the MSI board and the AS Rock, but they appear to be out of stock, which is the issue i have.

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder