1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 24 Oct 2013.

1. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Passing +70C is already dangerous!

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Depends on the IC design to be honest. Most mobile chips are OK up to 100 and regularly sit in the 80s to 90s.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't temperature in IC's directly related to the expected life of the IC ?
    Or at least that's what i always thought.

4. Panos

Panos Minimodder

For any CPU 70C+ is dangerous (especiall Intel ones).

However the majority of the GPUs from Nvidia & AMD are happy at 90C. They give standard 3y warranty on those R9 290X either way.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Can you provide a source for that claim, because I sincerely doubt it?

I've been pushing Intel CPUs to their limit for years. 70c+ load temps are nothing to be feared.

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The Core 2 Duo T5500 in my 2007 laptop begs to differ! It still regularly reaches 90°C under load, and idles between 60 to 70°C. Still going strong after six and a half years of regular thrashing.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Again, depends on the design.

CPUs have a higher frequency than mobile GPUs, although mobile CPUs have a higher temperature threshold generally. For example tCase of Intel's desktop CPUs sits at ~72C, but tJunction (because BGA) of their equivalent mobile ones is 100C. Since GPUs are BGA, their junction temp will be around the same, although because the die size is far more massive the specific temp of any particular area can vary.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea i knew IC's varied greatly in what is claimed to be the safe working temperature although i have never understood why exactly, so just guessed it was to do with the design. After all isn't the silicon they are made from all the same ?

10. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i really wanted to upgrade from my 7970 to something cooler/quieter, my wallet is safe ;) :D

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The actual element is the same but the process technology and IC design can differ greatly to limit electromigration or current leakage at high temperatures. Mobile phone can ICs throttle at 90C, but most are capped lower to prevent your hand melting. There's a whole variety of manufacturing designs for all industries.

Tags: Add Tags