1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Radeon VII revealed as AMD’s 7nm flagship gaming GPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 9 Jan 2019.

1. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's been known for years that cost/transistor reached a minima with the move to 28nm and has been rising ever since. Perf/transistor also plateaued around the same time (if not a little earlier) when gate oxide thickness hit the .3nm minimum practical limit (which is why everyone is hitting the same clock rate headroom).
    The upshot being that if you want more performance, you need more transistors, which means more cost. And that's not going to change without radical changes to how ICs are made, and "new process, now with some EUV!" is not even close to radical enough.

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Funny you should mention that, I looked up the specs of a few of the so called supported monitors (using the presentation slides as source) - it transpires one is actually listed as a Gsync monitor, personally until independent testing proves it's validity I'll take Nvidia's PR with a large dose of salt.

3. DbD

DbD Minimodder

I bet its a monitor with both gsync and freesync variants and someones got confused over the exact model number. I'm guessing most of the monitors that pass are like that because they already had to do all the work to make the monitor good enough for gsync, so it's not surprising the freesync variant can pass the same suite of tests.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2019
  4. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

To be fair I wasn't really expecting any GPU news until Navi.

Vega 2, well it is what it is and the price was always going to suffer having to work with the existing architecture - but there really was no point spending a shed load altering that when the next gen is due out later this year.

It's something. I just hope they pull a Ryzen with their next gpus.

Edit: i'll check gsync on my freesync when the drivers are out. Not holding out huge hopes but you never know.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yes but we all know Navi is an annoying little bint!

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

HEY! LISTEN!

The certified list is for monitors that will have VRR turned on by default, but it will be a manual settings toggle for everything else.

mi1ez and The_Crapman like this.
  8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Only they're not, from what i can tell the BenQ XL2740 doesn't list either G-Sync, FreeSync, or VRR and the same goes for the Asus XG248, and then the Agon AG241QG4 only lists G-Sync.

Something seems odd with either what they consider 'certified' or the way they've implemented FreeSync/VRR.

Guest-56605 likes this.
  9. adidan

When the drivers come out in about a week the gsync toggle will be in the control panel for everybody to test out with their nvidia/freesync combos.

If and how well it will work we'll see.

According to the AMD Freesync site all 3 of those do support Freesync.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Some are, some are not, i couldn't find the Agon AG241QG4, the Asus XG248 doesn't even seem to exist as there's a "Q" and "QE" version but i can't find a XG248 without any suffices, and the BenQ XL2740 is listed but from what i can tell the product page makes no mention of any VRR tech.

Guest-56605 likes this.
  11. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I'm sorry if I offended your child like sensibilities and I shall treat THAT ^^^ with the contempt it deserves.

I stand by my original statement "Personally until independent testing proves it's validity I'll take Nvidia's PR with a large dose of salt".

And sorry, I'm also one of those individuals that doesn't believe Nvidia's RTX technology is the next best thing since the birth of Jesus Christ.

12. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

That was exactly my point :thumb:

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The 'hey listen' was in response to my Navi joke, ref: Navi from ocarina of time.

edzieba and adidan like this.
  14. adidan

Code:
    Manufacturer: Asus

Model: MG248/MG248QR
    Size: 24"
    LCD Type: TN
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    Range: 40-144 via DisplayPort
    I read that as listing MG248 and MG248QR Edit: MY BAD! I misread that as MG not XG

Edit:
    Code:
    Manufacturer: Agon
    Model: AG241QG4/AG241QX
    Size: 24"
    LCD Type: TN
    Resolution: 2560x1440
    Range: 30-144 via DisplayPort 30-144 via HDMI
    Edit: Edit: Yeah the Asus only seems to list the Q variant. Whatever that means. I do wish they'd sort out monitor naming :)

Edit: Edit: Edit: After having a scoot around it looks like the 'Q' just stands for Displayport (of course it does... of course... I mean what else would it mean :confused:)

After doing a bit more trawling it looks like with other models Asus have sometimes shipped in boxes without the letter after the model number but that it is the same monitor, nor does the letter appear in the OSD of some monitors. The letter after the number just denotes the display port type so I take that to mean the XG248 is the XG248Q, I guess.

Yeah, clear as mud.

15. adidan

Don't apologise for that mate, I have both of those firmly in my box of 'couldn't care less until it's proven with evidence'. :)

Edit: As for this nvidia move, i'm only interested upontil the point I find out it doesn't work on my monitor in a week or so :)

Guest-56605 likes this.
  16. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

From what I've read, the Nvidia certification process needs a monitor that's able to push refresh times lower than Freesync's spec. Some monitors do this, some don't. Those that aren't certified will still support it but not in a manner that Nvidia are happy with, hence their certification process. It's a smart move to say you support freesync but only certify a few monitors!

Corky42 likes this.
  17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

700 USD will likely be 750-800 EUR. I could grab a 2080 for 650 EUR in Germany right now. Sorry, but what's the point of this card?

I know, I know. Stop gap until Navi.

18. adidan

Unless it turns out to be a fantastic miner and gets gobbled up like the original V64s which will help bankroll Navi.

Edit: TBH if I was in the market now i'd probably be tempted by a Vega 64 now they're at 400 quid (it'd definitely work with my freesync too :))

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

GPU mining is dead at the moment. And there is no indication I know if that this will change anytime soon.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Glad it wasn't just me, i ended up hugging myself. ;)
    Does FreeSync specify a minimum refresh time then, i didn't even know there were specs, i seem to remember something about FreeSync working within a certain range and that you could choose what the GPU should do when operating outside of that range.

If Nvidia are trying to push refresh times to low maybe they should increase whatever that lower limit is, it comes back to if it works with AMD why isn't it working with Nvidia, i guess when it's made public we'll be able to do some side by side testing.

Tags: Add Tags