1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 4 Aug 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Beautiful little chip, properly re-writes the definition of value-for-money after years of hobbled i3's.

The gaming results speak for themselves, how much extra GPU budget can you get for a purely gaming machine with one of these and a B350 over an unlocked i5 and Z270?? More than enough to counter the CPU performance difference, that's for sure.

I expect these to pop up in entry level pre-built systems (especially VR-capable ones) everywhere.

Though I have to jump on the "it's only £30 more" line when comparing it to the 1300X. £30 difference is fine when you're buying a £200-300 CPU, but it's a HUGE difference when the chip in question costs less than £100...

3. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Might want to edit the power consumption charts. The load chart says load is on win 10 desktop and idle chart says prime 95.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, I know which way I'd go. I wonder if this might prompt price drops on Z270 boards, or unlocked features on lower tier chipsets.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The ironic thing is that Intel had the answer to cheap Ryzen quad cores but threw it in the bin...

Remember when AsRock and co offered "special" bios versions that allowed oc'ing the affordable Intel chips? But of course Intel had to throw a tantrum until those bios versions where withdrawn.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It wasn't just ASRock that offered that. It was every vendor and Intel were displeased to say the least. It was a bug in the microcode which was exploited.

7. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Another example of the arrogance and price gouging mindset of Intel, take take take from the consumer...

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I only went Intel because AMD weren't delivering the goods.

I so wish I was in the position to upgrade right now so I could go back to my pc roots.

9. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I can't say as I'm the least bit disappointed with Ryzen, absolutely no regrets with going back to AMD :thumb:

The last really worthwhile Intel CPU I owned was a 2600K, my 1600 is on par with that if not better in terms of the enjoyment I derive from it :grin:

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I have a 2600 non K, cost me £30 so pretty happy for now :p

Guest-56605 likes this.
  11. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Nice, great chip, K or non K flavour :D

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Wasn't a VCore of 1.4v not advised for 24/7 use by AMD?

Also, it's a shame you didn't do any tests with the stock cooler, overclocked too.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That chip has the unlocked turbo bins. If you have the correct board you can overclock it by x4 on the multi in the turbo settings.

Any way back to the 1200. What can I say? fanny tastic move by AMD tbh. You could get this CPU and a decent board (decent, not ground breaking) for about the same as a half decent Intel board with no CPU. Mental really !

I heard the next I3 was going to be quad core. Apparently there's even rumours going around that one will have HT too.

It's the calm before the storm now. Next up - all out core war ! bring it on !

14. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

AMD stated 1.45V and over isn't recommended for long term overclocking. 1.425V should be considered a reasonably high but safe 24/7 overclock.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Whats a modest cpu cooler? As the cooler in the review is more expensive than the cpu is (£106 on ebuyer). As the Temps when overclocked which you do not supply when using such a powerful cooler would be intresting to see. Basically what I am getting at is if no sub £30 cooler can do the job your proposed overclock would require a more expensive one. In which case the R3 1300 is £30 more at most. ( £26 on ebuyer) and would represent a better purchase than overclocking this would.

16. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The lower models are always the better buy. They all overclock more or less the same.

I would imagine that a cooler in the £30 region would handle this chip without issue. The 8 cores really do run warm, though. A decent cooler for those is almost a must.

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well played AMD!

While I'm very sceptical about the upcoming Vega releases, Ryzen is upsetting Intel, which has been badly needed since the launch of the Core 2 family (launched in 2006 no less).

Half tempted to enter into the world of AMD rig building. If Vega does manage to deliver a GPU equivalent of the 1200, I might partake...

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It may end up with a price in the stratosphere just like the 580s,

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ru...-be-insanely-good-crypto-currency-miners.html

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I wish crypto currency mining would die a fiery death. I know it's bad to wish ill on people, but I really do hope that it suddenly crashes overnight and all those tossers suddenly find themselves back at square one with a shedload of overused GPUs that can't be sold for anything other than scrap prices.

20. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Very contradictory reviews on this CPU & Cooler, some say they're great, like this one, others saying both are poor to average.

Tags: Add Tags