1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD to Ditch the ATI Brand

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 30 Aug 2010.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

*sigh*

I wish we could go back to the Canadian days of ATI

2. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Gonna miss typing "ATi is the best" in heated fanboy flaimbait GPU threads.

AMD should change logo to ATi red and white. Fusion is the future so this move makes sense.

AMD HD 6890 is OK but ATi HD 6890 is better. Either way just keep making them better, cheaper, cooler, quiter, and more efficient than Nvidia. AMD/ATi Forever!! (until Intel lowers core i7 950 price)

P.S. if you have ATi or AMD driver issues then go buy a Mac because real PC users know to clean their registries to avoid these issues.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2010
  3. SBS

SBS What's a Dremel?

AMD CPU + AMD graphics > Intel CPU + Intel Graphics. Might not matter much to us but in the mainstream, prebuilt marketplace that's a vital consideration.

Will be interested to watch how this (eventually) effects nVidia.

4. douglatins

douglatins What's a Dremel?

can make a better logo than that!

5. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

Dont care what its called, as long as it works, although I would avoid rebranding the drivers as Common.Radeon.Application.Performance. (CRAP for short) files!! :D

6. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

This is actually a very good move by AMD. The brand AMD is at the moment only know for their cheap CPUs (and in someway underperfoming) now the brand will also be known for very good and for the most part affordable graphics.

Also when someone buys a full new system and wants the new Radeon graphics they will also want an AMD processor because.. hey.. having both an AMD GPU and CPU makes more sense than have an Intel CPU and AMD GPU in the same system, at least for the more mainstream user.

7. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

This makes perfect sense to me.

Given how successful the ATi 5000 series has been and how late NVidia got to the party with some decent competition, I imagine AMD is now sitting on some incredible GPUs soon to be known as the 6000 series.

In their shoes, I'd do the same thing. By releasing the 6000 series as AMD products they are pretty much guaranteed some great publicity for the AMD name. They're in a very strong position to release some great GPUs and I think making sure everybody knows which company is behind them is a sensible thing to do.

To all those who consider AMD CPUs to be awful, please think of the market they are aiming for; the low end up as far as dedicated gaming machines. I think they succeed in their purpose. They're cheap, upgrade friendly and for gaming are on par with more expensive chips from Intel. I know you all love benchmark results, but for most people they're not important at all. Take a look at the top 5 best selling cars of the last sixty years. They're all budget models that are good enough for 90% of the driving public. AMD processors do the same thing; they're good enough for most people and they're very cheap. In a properly balanced gaming PC (with no other CPU intensive uses) there is no reason to buy anything else, unless you just like throwing your money away.

I'm glad to see AMD making this bold move, and I hope it pays off for them. Competition is always a good thing, and Intel has been running away with the ball for the last couple of years.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Surprised it took so long.

Care factor: 0

I'll still buy their products regardless of name. Even with their driver issues.

9. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

It makes sense for AMD to retire the ATI brand, though it will be a shame to see it go, though perhaps not completely since AMD seem to be keeping the red on their new logo's, guess we can't have 2 green teams.

I can't help but wonder if AMD will ever go on to release their own version of ATI's original All-In-Wonder series of graphics cards that incorporated a TV card on board which meant no display lag unlike standalone TV cards I have used in the past.

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

I make amd systems (£300) they work very well asus m4a3200 / athlon ii x2 250, if they need some gpu power gts250 or gts240

but for gaming system can't consider amd higher end cpus due to heat issues and gpus is below

problem I have is the drivers can't trust them to work out of the box consistently

I had two ATI cards and I know of 3 other friends with 4800 systems CF new games come out issues happen

I would not use current 58xx cards unless they have fixed the buzzing issues

11. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

sad to see it happen, but it had to happen. At least it wasn't as immediate as say... Voodoo, and AMD/ATI would just get more and more confusing as graphics chipsets got integrated into the die. Its good to see that they've put a decent amount of thought into this, even if those polls seem a bit... off. I never associated AMD with graphics, even well after they bought ATI. I always went to ati.com and still do when I want new drivers, even though I know it redirects to ati.amd.com.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

hahaha yup, same here I still go to ati.com too. Lets hope for our sake that they still keep that redirection, at least for a few years.

13. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

I like turtles

javaman likes this.
  14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I think it's a bad move since most people know ATI for there GPUs and AMD for there processors

15. dispie

dispie What's a Dremel?

this was about time

I mean ATI did not have a very good name in the first place so i was supriced they kept it around for so long

16. Avanthor

Avanthor What's a Dremel?

Intel inside oops also AMD inside lol i find it hilarious.. Intel must have a raised eyebrow

17. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

+ 1

The best comment in the topic so far!

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

so your an nvidia fanboy then?

i dont think either side are perfect, nvidia, or ati/amd, i prefer ati over nvidia, but use both

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

This thread definitely attracts trolls. I don't know why but they enjoy it.

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Nvidia fan boys finally get to rejoice, ATI is no more!

And Intel/ATI-but-not-AMD fan boys get to all try and by witty by making same quip about keeping ATI and dropping AMD!

Tags: Add Tags