1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD to launch netbook platform

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Good to see someone using the term " 'til "!

3. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Hmmm, I got the wife an Acer Ferrari One for Christmas, it's definitely net-book rather than CULV. Battery life's not bad but it only gets ~1k 3DMark06's. The Onboard 3200 is enough for flash games, non-HD iplayer and YouTube and most importantly Galcon Fusion.

4. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Isn't Athlon Neo already for netbooks? I say this because I have an Asus eeePC 1201T and it's fantastic. Good performance with Radeon 3200 and has a better battery life than 1201N (ION netbook).

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

What about VIA's Nano 3000's?

6. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

LOL... Atom already has alot of the market, and AMD is only now coming to the fight? And announce that they will have a netbook platorm but in 2011? C'mon we just started 2010... :p

And the Neo lies between a netbook (Atom) and a notebook, he's in the middle, the problem is that the price of the Neo puts him in Intel's CULV territory, the only advantage is the use of the HD3200.

7. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Typical AMD/ATi hot air machine claiming all but producing nothing of substance as usual.

This is a no news topic!

8. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

What exactly are AMD doing with there time these days?

9. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Netbooks leave me cold, they don't seem to serve any particular purpose that couldn't be done with either a smartphone or a cheap ultra-portable laptop.

10. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

netbook is out, ultra protable is in

11. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Well, I must say that in my case is quite the contrary. I use my netbook for nearly everything: When I'm at home I simply connect it to a 19'' LCD monitor. Therefore, I rarely fire up my Core 2 rig these days (at least when I'm not on holidays). I only use it if I need to work with large images or large presentations.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

if it does what it claims, I will buy one to replace my ASUS 1000he. Hope it has HDMI out.

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Isn't a netbook ultra portable anyway? And have you honestly tried browsing on a smart phone for any lengh of time? One tab even smaller screen, its no where near as practical. I also spend a vast majority of my time using my netbook over main machine simply because it has my uni notes on it. Why fire up a dual core to surf anyway? Also means I can sit with the family with surfing rather than some cornor of the house.

14. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Yet again CrazyCEO shows us how anti-AMD he is.

15. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

and this is why AMD is hurting in the electronics market, they are way to slow to react to competitors. Only product line they have that is good atm is anything out of ATI.

16. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

You probably means NVIDIA :p

17. Chocobollz

You beat me to it :p

That's bulldang, they aren't slow to react, they simply don't have a lot of cash to burn for the development of a new product. They even have to give all they got to survive, and you simply blame them? I bet you'll miss them if they went to bankrupt (and leaving Intel alone in the x86 CPU market). NVIDIA in other case is... (hint: they got billions in the bank :)

18. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Yet again the AMD fangirls stand up for the sinking ship. "they simply don't have a lot of cash to burn" or "I bet you'll miss them if they went to bankrupt" or "I'm telling my mommy if you call them names again!" are all the usual standard bollocks you can expect to hear from the cheerleaders.

This is a nothing news topic about more hot air from AMD because they have been caught completely off guard with the success of Netbooks. "We're bringing one out really! and ....and...and it's gonna be better and bigger than yours!" total sh!te

19. Chocobollz

So, what do you want them to do, exactly? Every tech companies are doing this thing (eg. an announcement) and yet when AMD do this, you simply blame them without any merits? Blaming someone/something surely is easy, but you won't get any respect from that. Oh and if they really are slow to react to competitors, then why is that they're the 2nd biggest x86 CPU manufacturers in the world? Because they have no substansial products? Really? Don't you think you blame the wrong company? LOL

20. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

ITT: Intel Fanboys

I have an atom-based netbook and its crap. AMD's Neo platform is pretty good, would definetly look forward to a netbook platform from them.

Tags: Add Tags