1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD unveils 14nm GCN 4.0 'Polaris' GPU architecture

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Jan 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

GCN 4.0? Isn't it 1.4?

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

From what I've read, the 1.X names were used by the media much to the dislike of AMD as they never came up with those names themselves. At the end of the day, it's neither here nor there tbh though.

I'm actually excited about the new hardware that's coming out, I think these days I actually prefer reading more about how things have changed and see the way things are going/ideas they come up with than actually using my graphics card for games!

4. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Still on a 7970 GE here which i have had for over 3 years. It has done me proud even at 1440p. But depending who gets the next gen nailed ( right mix of price performance and features) will get my money.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

This could, at last, be what AMD needs to take the fight to Nvidia. I've been using Nvidia cards for around 8 years but, if AMD can live up to their claims, that might change.

6. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

To be fair i have enjoyed cards from both camps over the years. The main obstacle to graphics card performance increasing isn't a die shrink, these days it's getting it passed the missus.

7. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

ok the gpu side is looking great. honestly all i was hoping for was a decent performance buff, this kind of power draw decrease is a nice bonus.

only 2 points remain. whether zen will be as impressive, and whether samsung can produce these with quality. if all those come through, i will definitely be trying to do an all amd build.