1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Antec Neowin is about to debut!!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Phire, 24 Jul 2004.

1. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

Finally......one of the best brands out there jumps on the cable-less PSU bandwagon :D

http://www.antec.com/us/pro_details_powerSupply.php?ProdID=24480#

Manual here:

http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/Neopower_EN_Manual.pdf

Coupla cool new features:

- Universal input automatically accepts line voltages from 100V to 240V AC
    - Includes special power connector for PCI Express graphic cards
    - *Optional Aux Power Connector w/cables (48 cm long) is available through
    Antec customer service. Call for availability.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^They dropped the AUX connector FINALLY :)
    - Extra Right Angle IDC Molex and SATA power connections (2 of each kind)
    - 24pin ATX connector (wouldn't say this is "cool" since many boards dont take 24pin yet...they include a standard 24-20pin adaptor though)

This is one of the few PSU's out there right now that supports ATX12v 2.0 too

I thought it would take FOREVER, and it did. Good to see Antec step up once again and provide users with functionality and stability.

On a side note, as of right now there are only 2 totally cable-less PSUs out right now, and this is the only one that supports PCI Express. Antec may have not been the first but compared to the the other offering, this beats the pants off it!
    (Hah Ultra didn't even include SATA power cables with theirs!)

Can't wait till I get my hand up this PSU's skirt :naughty:

Last edited: 24 Jul 2004
  2. Abadon

Abadon What's a Dremel?

so in essence it is like the redudant psus used in high end servers

i must say it looks very promising for the home user

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

:eyebrow:
    redundant PSUs = more than one PSU

it just means that the only cables coming out of the psu are the ones that you are using, so if you only have a hard drive and a cd drive, then you only need to use that cable. reduces clutter from masses of wires inside the pootar

4. Abadon

Abadon What's a Dremel?

redundant psus are also set with modular power cable addons

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow:
    not neccesarily...

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well often times they're hot-swappable so there's a semi-modular aspect to them. But not in this way.

Honestly, I could care less. I'm going to do mine myself and I've never liked antec products. The 24pin support is nice though. I'd think that since you can use a 20pin cable in a 24pin socket and not have all of the holes filled, you would be able to use the 24pin without an adapter and have it overhang the socket.

7. Phire

nope. you can pull the GND, 3.3v, 12v and 5v off the connector and move the rest to a 20pin though. Pretty simple mod.....

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Is that just because of where the clip goes? I would think that if the 20 is forwards compatible than the 24 would be backwards compatible. Then again I don't have any 24pin PSUs to test it with.

If you work for PPCs... any idea if/when you'll get connectx in 24-pin? Rewiring my PSU doesn't bother me at all, but buying a new one for the connector is rediculous. Same for the PCIE plugs.

My question about that PSU is that if everything connects to a 6pin as it looks in the picture, how does it get wired up right? My plan was to color-code the connectors (ie black for molex, yellow for p4, red for sata, green for relayed AC in my case, or something to that extent anyways) and as the PCIE is 3 12v and 3 ground, a molex is 1 12x, 1 5v and two grounds and a sata is 1 of each and two grounds, it wouldn't let all of the connectors be compatible with each other. How is it going to get around this?

edit: Just found this thing at newegg. $150 base, $30 instant rebate. I'd have to see it in person to answer my own questions though. No word on noise but it's 1 120mm fan on top of antec-ness so betting it's quiet is fairly safe. Hopefully other online stores will stock it soon if they haven't already.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-103-924&DEPA=0

Last edited: 25 Jul 2004
  9. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

The other being made by Enermax (who I like even more than Antec). Too bad my Dual-CPU system requires ATX-GES...so hopefully Enermax will follow suite with this modular-cable PSU style...

10. Phire

they won't......the companies are so far from each other in goals and design it's crazy