1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Anyone re-played Dragon Age: Origins or Awakenings?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by gcwebbyuk, 22 May 2010.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I have played each of the origins in the first game, up to the part where they all meet. I just can't seem to get into the game enough again to get much further than that. I completed it with my Dalish Elf in the end.

I have tried the various add-ons and found they were tooo easy to complete, although they were cheapish I suppose.

Awakenings I found too quick to. Completed in a weekend.

I keep thinking of trying to re-do the whole game on the hard setting, from start to end - and then porting character to awakenings and complete that too, but just know that I will get bored by the time I get to the same point!

I have seen there is an add-on due soon where you play a DarkSpawn, but I bet that will be a quick to complete campaign too :wallbash:

Where are games like "Eye of the Beholder" which I spent aaagggges on, mapping it out as I went.

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I've played through DA twice quite happily and Awakenings once. Just leave the game for 6 months if you're not feeling it right now.

3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I got bored of Dragon Age halfway in, nevermind returning to it after completion.
    Extremely disappointing for me, considering I rate the Baldur's Gate series, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1&2 and many other 'hardcore' RPGs amongst my favourite games of all time.
    I was hoping for more of the same from Dragon Age and just found it lacking.

I plan to go back and play it again sometime, but I find myself more inclined to start a new game in Baldur's Gate than play DAO again. :(

4. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

I have just under 140 hours total on DA and the DLC. Took me just under 50 hours to complete it 1st time as Dalish Elf assassin/duelist doing minimal side-quests and i'm quite close to the end of my 2nd playthrough as a mage doing every quest I can find so I can go into Awakening fully loaded and ready to rock and roll.

Best singleplayer RPG i've played since Fallout 2, purely for the interaction between the party characters.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I'm not one for fantasy fiction RPG's and tbh im not very good at them either, but DA has a quality that you just dont really get in games anymore,

I think its the games pacing as well as its characters, listening to alistair and morigan moaning at each other made me genuingly laugh.

im pretty crap at it but im enjoying struggling onwards learning as I go.

6. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I love playing through dragon age origins the first time, definitely one of my favorite games in recent times and I was really looking forward to playing awakening but I inadvertently deleted my original save game doing a clean install and I couldn't face playing through it again at the time.

I've been saving myself though, as soon as my exams are finished I'm hitting it again, along with Fallout 3 and Morrowind, both of which I've never played even though I'm a huge RPG fan, this summer is gonna kick ass : P

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I loved them both. I usually played them before bed, wasn't too taxing on the old noggin and had some great quests.

8. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Playing it through for the third time now. I did sort of cheat and give myself god daggers for ostagar though, as i god so bored of doing that bit (started about 4 characters then decided i didn't like them). Then deleted them afterwards.

First character was a Duel wielding Reaver/beserker city elf warrior (berserk + two saw swords + Momentum = win)

Made a mage, but got seriously put off by arcane warriors STILL needing to put non-staff weapons away when casting most spells (haven't found a mod for stopping this that actually works yet) which seems to destroy the points of arcane warriors to me.

Now playing a stealthy (most likely assassin) dwarf commoner

9. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

My fave character to play is a rogue. Have tried each character class and each race.

Tried pushing a bit further yesteday, started killing the bandits just outside the first town you come to (forgotten name already!).

I find myself escaping through the cut scenes, as I remember most of them.

If there were more DLCs I would buy them, but there aren't :(

Anyone tried any of ths add-ons from Nexus?

Morrigans loose robes is interesting, but I removed it as staring at her boobs got a bit distracting!

10. Chaos_Engine

Chaos_Engine What's a Dremel?

Still havent played yet is it really that good? How long to complete the game?

11. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Yes, it is VERY good. Can't remember how long it took to complete, but the add-on DA: Awakenings took me a weekend, so probably 10-15 hours on normal difficulty.

12. Leman

Leman What's a Dremel?

I played Origins to death, it was all I played for the better part of a week, I did everything and saw as much as I could. I also sexed everyone that was sexable in my party but then finally settled down with Alistair.

Then Awakening was announced and I began to get hyped over the series all over again, remembering my time with the first game and looking forward to returning. Then it actually came out and I have played less than 2 hours. I just don't understand what has changed, maybe it was what happened to me at the end of the first game. There was no way that my Warden would be acting like she was at the start of Awakening. Its just odd.

13. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I was also cross with awakenings how you couldn't take certain weapons that you had obtained in the first game across with you. I ended up starting it with a brand new character, especially as I had chosen an option at the end of the first game that would make it impossible for me to be playing the second!

14. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

It took me 54 hours first time. And yes its a very good game, very addictive. I played it till 5am on one occasion :blush:

15. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Make sure you mod the bejesus out of morrowind, it can end up looking great.

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Especially on a good rig, modding morrowind is a cinch.

Texture packs are plentiful now and there's always MGE.

17. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I got bored when i got to the Dwarven Caverns at the start of the year, haven't been back since. It was no Oblivion :(

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Morrowind's combat is admittedly paltry, but on the other hand, it has a hell of a lot more interesting things.

The lack of fast travel makes it a bit more difficult imo.

19. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I bought it today on a "whim" and started playing through it.

The camera sort of annoys me, the 3rd Person View isn't as good as KoTORs (can't move the mouse to the edge of the screen to turn it - yes, i know A and D do the same, as in KoTOR, but i still found the feature useful). And the Over-The-Top camera just isn't at the right angle, like it's too overhead and doesn't seem isometric (imo).

Anyhow, with regards to the actual game, i'm definitely enjoying it and have just left Lothering... however i was "disappointed" to find what appears to be the game essentially limiting where you're allowed to go afterwards. I thought it would be similar to Mass Effect of Fallout whereby the game scales to your level (which i know many people complain about) but I tried going to the Dwarven place first and the Bounty Hunters you meet on the path before the caverns just completely destroy me and after trying various different tactics i gave up and trudged all the way back to Lothering.