1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple addresses MacBook SATA issue

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

If the hard drive itself doesn't saturate the SATA bus then why would it need SATA II, though I believe they come with an SSD option so the chipset thing is dumb. I'm glad they fixed the problem for the SSD benchmark nerds...

3. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

if there is no normal hard drive right now that saturates SATA, there is absolutely no use for SATAII drivers. i do not really understand where the fuzz is about. on the other hand, why did they not code for SATAII in the first place (as futureproofing), as the chipset supports it anyway? is it more expensive/difficult?

4. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

A 5400RPM laptop HD is not going to need to be a SATA 3Gb's speed rated drive, as it could never saturate the connection to speak, so of course Apple would ship 'older' HD's as its irrelevant whether its SATA I / II etc.

So its just PR then in the PC world if someone sell's you an uber fast SATA II 3Gb's '5400 RPM laptop drive', which will never (ever) get near that speed. SSD's yes, normal HD's (especially laptop drives.. no)

This whole story appears to be fluff !

5. fodder

fodder Minimodder

From the last story on this here:-
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/06/15/new-macbooks-have-sata-downgrade/1#reply

Like I said, usual Apple shinanigans. No realworld performance impact at the moment, but there will be.

6. Htr-Labs

Htr-Labs What's a Dremel?

-

Last edited: 8 May 2015
  7. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

It is, I laughed through pretty much all of your post.

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

unless your using SSD and even then you not notice it as its the Access times that make it fast not just the data rate

9. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Pay premium for shoddy hardware, go on forums exclaiming how paying more for less is a good thing. It's the Apple way!

10. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Woah, apple fanboy rage out Cheesecake!

PS: Apple blows! :p

11. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

lol I'm just pissed at all these anti apple **** that know **** all.

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Jun 2009
  12. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I just dont know where to start with this post.. Its either the funniest post ever, or if you were being serious, then its the most retarded post Ive ever read. So from all the ranting I guess you never really were considering the Macbook Pro 13" then considering you think its 40% over priced and offers 50% less performance than a PC laptop! Or did you forget that when you were "saving up for one" !!

And if you believe what you wrote, then please go see a Doctor. When he asks you what your symptoms are please state 'Delusional' , 'I know bugger all about computers but still post on IT tech websites' , and finally 'Troll'.

:wallbash:
    The internet astounds me sometimes when I see people posting stuff like that.

Jamie likes this.
  13. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

For all of you that hate apple so much, why even bother reading a story about the company? Seems like a waste of your time.

14. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

I've given up on this site, you only see posts like Htr-Labs on here and no where else on other tech sites.

EVERY Apple thread so far has been hijacked by idiots. Seems like Bit Tech is not moderated and full of wannabe techs with fk all knowledge of what the subject matter is.

15. Matticus

Matticus ...

While I agree that Htr-labs post was a good read. I do not agree that Bit-Tech is not moderated, it is very well moderated by quite a few active mods. I think what you are referring to is "free-speech" and "debate". A lot of other tech sites have ridiculously strict moderating, that do not allow people to express their opinion and in many cases put a damper on any views that would go against their interests. Htr-Labs while misinformed was not being offensive or rude, so what is there to moderate? Unless I missed it, he did not resort to swearing either, unfortunately you did.

Krikkit likes this.
  16. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Righty ho, enjoy your comfy kiddy website.

As for the moderation, it also helps to stop idiots jumping into every fking apple thread and filling it with uninformed nubile chatter - not restricting it, just keeping it in check.

Anyway, enjoy. seriously.

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'm not a fanboi of Apple and actually never bothered to buy an Apple-Desktop-PC, but their Notebooks/Laptops are allways the better choice, when it's about productivity and battery-life.
    So who cares if it's SATA II or SATA I?

The funny thing is actually, that even with the limitation to 1,5 Gb/s they deliver the same power and speed compared to Windows-machines.

Just saying... I'm still using a very old Powerbook G4 (400MHz, 256MB RAM) I got as a gift some 6 years back in time, which is running Photoshop 7 absolutely fine. Try doing this with a Windows-Laptop and similar hardware.
    Actually I don't even think that a Windows-machine would even have a liefespan of 10+ years, without changing the batteries, HDD or whatever.

But it doesn't matter really. Aslong as it's branded with a fruit on the shell, the Windows-crowd will tear it apart.

18. Matticus

Matticus ...

I am by no means a windows fanboy, most the machines in my house are running windows though, we have 1 mac, 1 linux based server and my my main machine which dual boots windows 7 and ubuntu. I know certain people on here are windows fanboys, what you have to understand is that this site is open to quite a lot of younger people. The consequence of this is this is that you will sometimes get misinformed and immature responses, but if you are not adult enough to take these with a pinch of salt then why are you even here.

This is an open forum, open for debate, if you can't take the high ground then why waste your time here. Just go somewhere where debate means like minded people all agreeing with each other and having a jolly good time.

19. Htr-Labs

Htr-Labs What's a Dremel?

-

Last edited: 8 May 2015
Tags: Add Tags