1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple drops dongle pricing amid consumer backlash

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Nov 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I'm actually quite torn by this whole thing.

I'd be so bloody annoyed if I actually wanted a Macbook Pro for any serious use and needed loads of adapters. Thing is, I'm not in that position, and actually I'm rather happy that Apple is pushing the standard so heavily. I means that there will simply be more devices on the market using it, as there's now a market who'd probably prefer it over using dongles and whatnot.

Breaking a few eggs and all that.

3. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I think Apple could have safe face if they had one magsafe port, one USB-A port, on SD card slot and one lightning port (instead of the headphones). It would not be something appealing to me, but at least it would make things consistent for their costumers.

4. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

"We reduced the profit margin on a twenty-cent dongle from 900 percent to 400 percent, because we have COURAGE. Oh, unless you wanted to charge an iPhone, then we only reduced it to 800 percent because who needs courage when we already own you?"

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I don't think this would be so bad if Apple just had an old-school style docking system. Just snap your Macbook into the dock and suddenly you get everything you really need or care about. Knowing how much Apples loves to use proprietary interfaces, they could do pretty cool stuff with it, such as external GPUs, battery life extenders, Blu-Ray support, and maybe even a place to dock your iPhone.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Cynic mode on -

Apple: Just sit back wait, the orders will come flooding in, they always do...
    *internet backlash*
    Apple: What? People aren't falling over themselves to order it? Impossible!
    Apple lackey: T-t-they're saying the dongle's make it.... t-t-too expensive.... and... i-i-i-impractical...
    Apple: WHAT?! Do these peons not know this is the future!? How dare they question us!
    Apple lackey: W-w-we could bundle an adaptor like with the iPhone...
    Apple: NEVER!
    Apple Lackey: Maybe r-r-reduce the prices?
    Apple: BLASPHEMY!
    Apple Lackey: W-w-w-we could say it's t-t-to 'help our loyal customers to ease their transition'
    Apple: Oh alright... But only until Christmas... or else they'll be thinking we actually care about them...

7. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Apple fanboy: This is an outrage! It would never have happened when Jobs was alive! We had mini-DisplayPort connectors because they were BETTER! Did the cat just bite my Lightning cable again? Those things cost thirty bucks!!! Screw wireless headphones, why doesn't the new iPhone have wireless CHARGING? I can't wait until I can buy an iPhone 8!

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I... uh,. oh I can't be bothered - it's only another Apple fail - I'll catch the next one. It's not like it's a rare thing these days.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Don't worry, we've got this one :thumb: You can have the inevitable Patch Tuesday screw-ups tomorrow...

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Thank you for being so far up our a** with fanboyism that you bought more than one of our products, to reward your loyalty you get a smaller discount:wallbash:

11. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Pretty funny