1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple prepares far more powerful processors for 2021

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 8 Dec 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'll admit I'm interested in Apple's new silicon, but it would just be a curiosity toy. A 32-core one, with 64GB of RAM would be fun to play with I think.

3. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Does Apple finally have the hardware know how to better Intel, AMD and Nvidia?

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Except Intel, AMD and Nvidia could all scale up existing ARM designs as well if they wanted to.

Just because they haven't (yet) chosen to do so doesn't mean much (I'm not counting the aborted effort by AMD).
    Plus Apple is 100% reliant on the manufacturing capabilities of Tsmc and Samsung just like AMD and Nvidia are... so they have the same hard limit on capability anyway.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They have the developer and user ecosystem lock-in such that it probably doesn't actually matter either way.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Considering unless you buy a Mac you will never see the cpu or gpu, so would guess it matters little

If the performance of the m1 scales with 32 cores then Apple would have a huge net performance gain, would surpass anything Intel has made, even AMD would be battling hard if the scaling is there

gpu wise the onboard gpu is about a 1050ti equivalent in most reviews, it’s not super strong but it’s faster than any onboard gpu cpu combo which is all that matters

if they can scale that up to 1070 levels it would be enough for 99% of there user base.

Tags: Add Tags