1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Aqua computer cooling loop - your opinions please

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xarig, 7 Jan 2005.

1. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

I've been reading the forums for months and have been inspired to begin a new project, with end of year bonus in pocket and 18 months saving I'm up for some serious shopping, but first I'd appreciate your expert advice.

I'm planning to water cool my next rig using the aquacomputer gear (some of which I already have). I'll be using the ASUS A8N SLi MBoard, with a FX-55 and potentially a couple of 6800GT cards, SLI :jawdrop: . I plan to use the Aquastream rev 3.0 pump, with and aquatube res, and a evo120 radiator with a Papst 4412 F/2GL 3-Pin fan, all controlled by an aquaero 3.07. I'd like to use the small bore 6/8 mm tubing (coz I think it looks cleaner). I know the 240 radiator would be a better option but I'm limited by space and want to keep everything internal.

I've started the case build inspired by Gnome, Nexxo, Modsquad etc. :clap: it's really time to get your thoughts now. Would this setup be able to cope with the cpu, chipset, and potentially two GPUs and what order do you think I should create my loop? . Anybody had experience or watercooling and SLI rig?

Ideas for a name would be good too.

2. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I think maybe after the cpu there should be another rad for the 2 gpu's

3. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply keir. I figured that too, only thing is I'm not sure I could fit it in, depite having an Akasa Eclipse 62 case. I have mounted an evo 120 rad in the toplate and the aquatube, allowing for the PSU and aesthetics it's pretty tight up there. So that really leaves a rear mounted radiator - which looks like it would obstruct the graphics cards or a rfont mounted rad, which leaves me the problem of where to put the hard disks. I want to use 1 WD raptor which will need to be near the fan to keep it cool. Is it something peculiar to the aqua rads that they are so huge?

Is there an alternative smaller rad I could use rear mounted? And where would I get the correct fittings to keep it compatible?

4. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

looking on the aqua computer site they seem to do a 80mm rad you could put when an exaust fan could go. but I cant seem to get an info on it :blah:

5. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Ive not used the case and have only just checked a review out so take this with a pinch of salt...

You have a 120 in front and back, i would be tempted to put a BIX or BIP in each space (you can get BIX with g1/4" thread which is good for AC plug and cool iirc) then you have an extra HD cage that fastnes by the CPU socket, You could fix that to the floor so that its in direct airflow.

BTW, there is an extreme cooling forum slightly further down the main page

6. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Hey fivecheebs, nice solution :duh: I'll need to sort something out to account for the embossed bottom of the case to fix the HD cage securely.

My greed for speed is wrestling with my fiscally aware side regarding the idea of SLI, has anybody watercooled an SLI - I can't find anything so far.

I guess I'll get moved to the appropriate place, sorry about that :worried: