1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus P5Q Deluxe: Intel P45 has arrived

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 May 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i thought you said the new EPU now have a better fan controlling feature....... still just 3 options, no where close to Abit's uGuru. hope Maximus 2 is different

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

how was the overclocking? sounds a nightmare even with knowing what voltages to use....

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Ok and here is my question to Asus. (and any other brand delivering high end enthusiast motherboards) Why do you still put on a FDD controller chip and FDD connector, taking up useless space, which you could have used to put more 90degree sata connectors. You make future rich motherboards with oozes weird components like pcm mosfets, solid state caps, heatpipes, e-sata and such. And yet, you put a 35 year old useless peace of FDD crap on the boards. You stopped using printerports so why dont you ditch this useless crap too.

Please stop putting Floppy Disc Drive connectors on the beautifully peaces of engineering. We don't use it anymore since like 6 years ago. In fact i don't even know where to buy a floppy anymore...

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

because windows xp doesnt allow you to add drivers during its installation from any other source than floppy.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I still use a FDD regularly, but I admit that I'm probably in the minority there. ;) It seems a nice board... but I really hate the way they've put those SATA connectors... :(

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Win XP is also getting old anyway, and why do you need to install drivers when installing? Maybe for raid or sata, well then read this

And while you are building it, also include all the service packs and security updates, and other drivers you need. Another plus, it takes less time then you ever have spend on installing xp.

8. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

"Why not build boards with features and (low) prices that customers want, not just to have engineering e-peen swinging contests across Taipei?"

well said that man!
    lean, mean fighting machines :)

9. naokaji

naokaji whatever

been there done that, plus I've managed to get xp down to about 350mb with sp2 integrated and unatended installation, but I could only do that because I planned ahead and knew about it. I heavily doubt avg joe knows about it, and once the old install is gone he wont be able to use nlite and also wont be able to find out what it is on the internet because he wont have access without a working pc.

10. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Maybe they could start providing a floppy drive connector on a pci card then you could slot the card in if need be!

Now i know this motherboard doesn't have wi-fi on but if another board has wi-fi and ExpressGate will you be able to use the wi-fi? Has Asus developed drivers to work with the linux distro or have they gone and done a half assed job and decided not to develop one.

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

huh I think thats the highest rating I have seen on Bit-Tech so far when it comes to motherboards that I have read.

12. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Since the majority of boards now support USB FDDs, I really think this entire argument for internal, horrid ribbon cables and controllers is a silly one.

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

^^^ agreed

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Even with the P35/ICH9 chipset it appears the mobo makers are rarely implementing the full potential of the chipset for fan control. No reason why ICH10 should change the penny-pinching attitude, or maybe they need to leave lots of features in reserve for the most expensive and future "new improved" models.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You know what, I thought it did and I swear I was shown it but I can't for the life of me find the option in the 6-engine.

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

just a sign of not buy P5Q then.

got Maximus 2 yet? will there be a review of it soon?

17. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Agreed, A USB FDD is useful, to a point(loading drivers-Yes; flashing the Bios-No), An internal one just wastes space now, I've got both, Yet I can't say I've used the internal port for the last 3 years at all, The drive & cable(still like new) isn't even worth selling on ebay for that matter.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope :(

19. Max Spain

Max Spain What's a Dremel?

It is also important to note that the Intel has built a TPM into the ICH10R even though they aren't exactly advertising that. Hopefully they will change their minds once they realize that not all consumers want DRM built into their hardware :nono:

20. rollo

rollo Modder

Still have a floppy drive in most work computers. Also sata on xp without a floppy is a pain in the backside to get going. You cant use nlite if you dont have a pc to use it with before hand (some people dont really think ).

Tags: Add Tags