1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ATI releases Catalyst 10.6

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 18 Jun 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Time to check this out.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

still gets shutter with low bit-rate compressed MKV or MP4 files. somehow high bit-rate HD files are fine.

4. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Will give it a go now...

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

TBH I haven't noticed any difference. Testing it using an HD4650 unless it only applies to 5-series cards.

6. bw67958

bw67958 What's a Dremel?

Apparently only some of it applies to 5 - series. I'm going to give them a whirl this avo

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

[swear words]

8. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Bit of an improvement, better than nowt I suppose.

9. Queelis

Queelis What's a Dremel?

Ruined Powerplay on my Sapphire 4830 (idle clocks were 500/900 instead of 160/250), so reverted to 10.3 :|

10. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I'll wait for the 10.6 hotfix.

11. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

What he said

12. bicutz

bicutz What's a Dremel?

From the release notes ( http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/Catalyst_106_release_notes.pdf )

"Adobe Flash Player 10.1 can be accelerated on notebook and desktop platforms
    featuring AMD graphics including:
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5000 and ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series
    ATI Mobility ATI Radeon™ HD 400 series (and higher)
    ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 series integrated graphics (and higher)"

So where's Radeon HD3000 series? They support the integrated chip but not the Radeon cards? If it's a marketing move, I'd say it's a ridiculously stupid one...

And by the way, the hotfix is already there (if this is what you were referring to):

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx

13. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

CrossFireX performance with these new drivers has taken a big hit here in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 with two HD 5870s as I was getting 90-120 fps before with the 10.5a drivers and now I'm getting just 40-70 fps. I've double-checked by reinstalling the 10.5a hotfix drivers again and I got the higher framerate back. Back to 10.6 and I'm back to almost half-framerates. It's not so noticeable if you force v-sync on as I usually do but it's a loss of performance regardless. Apparently ATI are aware of it and no doubt we'll get another hotfix next week, as seems to be the case of late, to fix this.

Improvements include fixes for Red Faction Guerrilla's CrossFireX flickering issue (large areas of grass in Oasis still cause the framerate to plummet though) and Just Cause 2 no longers refuses to start full screen, something which has been bugging me since ATI broke it in the 10.5 drivers.

Sadly, Blur and Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands still run like crap with these drivers and CrossFireX as I get major framerate hits in both games which are only fixed by Alt-Tabbing to the desktop and back. The former slows down when driving through any water (plus hitches constantly even with a single card) and the latter drops to 15 fps when the prince dies or rewinds time but otherwise runs silky-smooth at 60 fps with v-sync on otherwise.

An OK release I guess but I wish ATI were more on the ball as regards new game releases and CrossFireX support. I thought the whole idea of having Application Profiles as a separate download was so they could be updated more regularly and easily than when they were included with the drivers? So far they've been released at the same time as the monthly drivers, which begs the question really of why they're even a separate install!!!

14. Teh C

Teh C Arg

My friend who has crossfired 5770s is reporting the same thing, he's lost about 30 fps with these drivers.

15. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

Another thing I thought I'd mention just in case anyone else has the same issue me is that forcing triple buffering via RivaTuner's D3DOverrider or ATI Tray Tools in some DX10 games causes CrossFireX to only run on one card. I had this issue with Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. which would work on both GPUs but only with the DX9 version; the DX10 version stubbornly refused to run on anything other than GPU2 despite the CrossFireX icon showing it was active. Disabling triple buffering fixed it. World in Conflict, another DX10 game, also has the same issue.

All those games worked fine with CrossFireX with the 10.5 drivers so I've reported it to ATI through their Catalyst Feedback Form.

16. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

17. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

I'm still running 10.3, time to update :)

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

wont be touching until the BC2 issue is fixed

19. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

The slow down jerking in vehicles is still present in RFG, and strobing/flashing could be fixed in 10.4 by turning off AI in CCC.

[/QUOTE]An OK release I guess but I wish ATI were more on the ball as regards new game releases and CrossFireX support. I thought the whole idea of having Application Profiles as a separate download was so they could be updated more regularly and easily than when they were included with the drivers? So far they've been released at the same time as the monthly drivers, which begs the question really of why they're even a separate install!!![/QUOTE]

I would say why can't we make our own profiles or at least have access to make changes like I did when I had nvidia cards in SLI?

20. Simnol

Simnol What's a Dremel?

:D Woo, I don't get this excited over Nvidia drivers :p

Tags: Add Tags