1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Battlefield 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 15 Mar 2013.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Last edited: 3 Oct 2013
  2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah just read on this, looking forward to some sort of teasers

Have my money :D

3. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

4. October

October Mariachi Style

Batllefield 4, the predecessor of Battlefield 3.

Derp.

I'm not totally sure what I'm looking for in a Battlefield 4... I guess 3 wasn't a massive revolution from BC2 and I've definitely appreciated it all the same but still, I feel like doing something other than what I've spent lots of hours doing in BC2 and 3 so far. It's like when all anybody made was WW2 games, then CoD4 was so incredible because it was different. I blame whoever said something about how cool it would be if they did something along the lines of a 2142 for 4...

Slightly related, I've heard lots of horror stories of how hard it is to actually get 2142 installed and patched and running, is it still bad or do people still play?

5. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Eurgh. Another BF, after the premium nonsense and simcity?

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Maybe......I will be avoiding any kind of hype between now and its beta etc

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yup. I'd like to see better patching and hacker banning above anything else.

Splitting the recon role up may be a good idea, sniper specific and roaming proper recons with no ballistic scopes who can do a proper recon/beacon placement role. Buffing those up may be an idea to encourage recon and subterfuge attacks.

A greater reward fot teamwork would be an idea.

One thing i don't want to see - payment options for individual weapons/vehicles that give an unfair advantage.

I must say though, this is my first BF in the franchise and i've been addicted.

8. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Nothing still tops BF2 in my mind! Ahhhh the memories..

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Sounds great for recon role. I have been aggressive recon with sks for awhile now.

Payment options for kit unlocks etc where around in BC2.

Shortcuts for the lazy or those lacking time to play to unlock.

10. adidan

I must admit i paid for the coop pack on offer as i didn't have the time or inclination to do them to earn enough points for the unlocks. It would have been different if it was in game activity.

Got premium late on, using the l96 for the assigment in an aggressive role, same with the others when i do those. Sniper camping is too dull for me although i did do it in the beginning while i got used to the BF experience. That said it was better experience when i realised you could team up :duh:

That's a result of a purely cod background before that though.

I do think recon has to be addressed though, seriously underpowered in comparison to the other kits and i can only see that changing if it's split up into distinct roles.

11. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Ghost town will forever be ingrained in my memory, so much fun. Would be so cool if they redid the BF2: SF maps!

12. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I do love the battlefield series but I can just tell with EA behind it and a yearly release cycle it will just become another COD clone. The one feature I really want however is some dedicated EA severs where you can go for a hacker free 'normal' game.

13. October

October Mariachi Style

It's not even close to being a yearly release cycle :duh:

Which actually shows the genius of the BF3 Premium/DLC I guess, it still feels like a new game. from a marketing point of view anyway.

14. adidan

Indeed, about 18 months and the next game is only just getting announced. The dlc has certainly kept it fresh.

Fdbh96, i agree, dedicated servers would be a good idea although i can see there being a long queue to get on them. A specific place where you can get dice employee tags would be good :)

Speaking of which i may go on a hunt...

15. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Exactly, releasing BF4 this early is a mistake, would be better to go sideways with BF3142.

BF4 should be reserved for when PC hardware has evolved to a point where the code engine need to be re-written ..BF4 will be nothing more than new maps & skins ....see latter stages of cod series for more details.

Agreed, but don't hold your breath.

16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I'd say that already exists with the PDWs and suppressor/holo sight options for the Sniper Rifles. The M98 with a suppressor is almost a perfect sneak attack weapon.

Recon could do with having the C4 back though, perhaps C4 becoming a gadget available to all classes? It really stinks to be playing aggressively with Recon (or assault) and being confronted with a vehicle. If you've ended up alone it's either wait for squad to spawn back in, or retreat and that's just not an option for me.

17. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Classes and Awesome

My vision for BF4 class system:

Gear: There are 4 classes, each class has 2 gear slots, 1 for kit specific and 1 for all kit gear. However Engineer and Recon can select SMG/PDW main weapon to have the ability to carry 2 kit specific gear items in addition to 1 all kit gear.

All Kit:
    Weapons - Carbine
    Gear - Med kit, C4, ammo

Assault:
    Weapons - Assault Rifle or Shotgun
    Gear - Noob tube/Pro Pipe, XM25

Engineer:
    Weapons - Assault Rifle or SMG/PDW
    Gear - AT Rockets/Equipment, Repair tool

Support:
    Weapons - DMR or LMG
    Gear - Defibrillator, Mortar, Claymore

Recon:
    Weapons - EMR or SMG/PDW
    Gear - SOFLAM/Infantry spotting camera, beacon, Sniper Rifle

Weapon Classes:
    Assault Rifle - Will be as is from BF3.
    Carbine - Will be as is from BF3.
    SMG/PDW - Will be as is from BF3.
    LMG - Not sure, I'd like a bit better stationary aimed accuracy, and less hip fire accuracy.
    Sniper Rifle - Same characteristics as before (Bolt-actions only)
    DMR - Is competitive with Assault rifles, but is more accurate over range and more powerful, worse in hipfire. G3, SCAR-H, L86, SKS & M417 weapons fit this class (removed from where they were in BF3)
    EMR - Is the middle ground between DMR and Sniper Rifle, Semi-auto snipers, M39, SVD etc.
    Shotgun - ?

and I can hope:

Last edited: 19 Mar 2013
  18. adidan

Recon had c4 before? That would be good, they had nothing until the xbow and would fit with an advanced recon role setting up for team mates to spawn and mounting sneak attacks woth some power. The soflam and mav are too passive on their own, recon needs another backup option.

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Having only played BC2 previously to BF3 yes recon had C4 and mortar strikes.

Which rained do death from above as apposed to the mortar in BF3.

There needs to be a class balance. Currently Assault is OP. Well most Assault Rifles are anyway.

20. adidan

Indeed.

Interesting. I could see c4 being good in the role for advance strikes or mortar to lay groundwork for troops. I've rarely used mortar in support. Being a ranged weapon i've found it out of place when you have to be closer to provide good suppressing fire and ammo drops.

Tbh only eng and supp feel balanced to me at the mo.