1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Battlefield: Bad Company 2 DRM explained

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 Jan 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Oh look, DRM rears it's ugly head again, they should rename it to: Being Penalised For Buying And Not Pirating....Thanks

3. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

27 years?

Are they targeting the next XBox refresh?
    <couldn't resist>

Their drm sounds quite civil to me.

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That's fine by me.

But what if your HDD dies and you can't uninstall the game? Although, if that happens 10 times in a row then losing a game would probably be the least of your concerns.

5. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

thing is, as unlikely as it will be in 27 years, what if somebody wanted to play the game in the future? you know, i'd be mighty peeved if my copy of Elite wouldn't work, because they invented some online authentication system that isn't supported 27 years from now. Bit of a stupid timelimit to put on it. Other than that though, it sounds fairly ok. DRM sucks, but its going to stay for at least a while.

6. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Cracked in 27 days :)

7. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

exactly!

8. labr@t

labr@t What's a Dremel?

no biggie really

9. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

It's a hard lesson to learn but always uninstall your game before reinstalling Windows. I learnt that with Dead Space and Far Cry 2.

10. clx

clx What's a Dremel?

Wonder if they are using Securecrap on Steam installs...

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Seems quite civilized, i'm pleasantly surprised.

A point to clarify, It may only recheck with the authentication servers ever 27 years but will the servers still be there in 5/10 years if one were to try a fresh install?

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They'll no doubt release a patch to de-DRM it in a couple of years.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Crysis Warhead was de-DRM'd after about 5 months.

14. veato

veato I should be working

I just dont see the point in DRM. As the game will be cracked anyway then the only people it affects are the buying public.

15. Loot3r

Loot3r What's a Dremel?

i see a fine point, it just makes it that much more difficult for a pirate to use the software! There is almost no effort for the buying public and the negative created by the DRM is small! Its nice to know i can play when i want online with minimal hassle....

16. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

How about I just boycott this game too and guess what NO stupid DRM!

17. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

These whiny DRM comments are getting as tired and hackneyed as the DRM itself. The comment about DRM only penalising paying customers is complete facile bunk. That's like saying electronic tags and security gates penalises people buying from Debenhams, or immobilisers and trackers penalise car drivers. What do you suggest publishers do? Release their games protection-free, so that anybody and everybody can copy, hack and share the game to their heart's content? If you want to get mad, get mad at the people who STILL cannot be bothered to pay for games.

18. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

No it isn't, it's a FACT
    pirated versions don't have DRM, legal copies do.

Going with your Debenhams example, it'd be similar if they added the security tag when you brought it and the only way to get the version without the security tag was to steal it...

It's going to be pirated with or without DRM. It's not a nice situation, but adding DRM does not help. Also the DRM is getting to the level where it's actually driving away customers now.

Give people incentives to buy the game (support, online extras and so on), don't give people incentives to pirate it instead (DRM)

19. Comet

Comet What's a Dremel?

I see nothing wrong with DRM if it remains civil. Besides they allow up to 10 instalations with the online option. And better than consoles with that you don't need a CD. You can just install the game on your laptop or whatever and you're free to go. Much better than the old days. Seams good to me.
    AS for people being able to crack it. Probably. Nothing is hack free. But DICE is beign smart on this.
    The fun on this games has a lot to do with online playing. Bad Company 2 dedicated servers software won't be freely available. Those interested will have to rent the server from DICE partners worldwide (same system as used in Americas Army). What this means is that you'll have more official branded(ranked) servers. And the private servers are servers bought by legit owners of the game but as people won't have access to server files it will be alot harder if not impossible to find hacked servers that don't do any server side authentication. Remember most online games do both a client and server side authentication. So yes you'll probably find the authentication hacked on the client side, but not on the server side. Thus no online gameplay in Bad Company 2. One of the main reasons to get this game afterall.
    This is in my opinion the way to go. We'll have to wait and see but I think they may have solved a big chunk of the piracy problem.
    If the game is actually as good as it seams it may show alot of potential on the PC with people actually buying the game. And hopefully will give developers the confidence to keep supporting PC gaming.

20. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

i normally bitch about this stuff but honestly that seems fair enough. online authication to play without cd or local disk check. i have no problems with this. oh and when was warhead D-Drm'ed? last time i checked it still had install limit. shame, i want it

Tags: Add Tags