1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Beginner build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JJC, 19 Sep 2019.

1. JJC

JJC What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

I’m currently looking to start building a PC but not to sure on the right parts. I was looking at Ryzen 5 or 7 for CPU unless Intel is better?? I will be doing a lot of gaming and then further down the line steaming and editing. I have a budget around £2000.
    Any help is much appreciated.

Thank You

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

If you're thinking of Ryzen, there's not really a 'bad' choice, just maybe one that's a bit too powerful for your needs.
    I'm not the expert here, but the biggest question you need to ask yourself is really what GPU and monitor will you use? Are you using existing hardware for those, or would they need to be included in the overall budget?
    The resolution you want to game at or edit files at will have a big impact on price and choice of other components.

3. JJC

JJC What's a Dremel?

Monitor isn’t in the budget. Hopefully looking to get a good one. GPU something that will offer good quality and workload. All hardware will be new.

Thank You

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If you're streaming the things you'll want to keep in mind are encoder accellerators. Nvidia's NVEC is regarded to be the best currently, but most Intel mainstream CPU's with an iGPU allow you to use the iGPU for encoding accelleration. AMD doesn't really have annything that compares. So you can go for a big, multicore Ryzen and just brute force enncode things, or add a beefy Nvidia GPU and use that, or just go intel and have some fun fiddling with settings. My suggestion would be Ryzen and Nvidia, best of both worlds then.

9900k build

3700x build

Both of those you can change the case inn, as that is personal preference, but everything else is solid. And under budget, so you can swap out for a better GPU, enhanced cooling, or pop that towards camera, mic, etc for streaming :)

N17 dizzi and JJC like this.
  5. JJC

JJC What's a Dremel?

Much appreciate the help. Will look into it. Thank You

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

There's £250 left on the 3700x spec there, so could maybe stretch to a 2080 for even more grunt.

Always spend more on the GPU if gaming is front and centre of your needs.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Being bored on a Saturday morning i thought I'd do a Ryzen build, unfortunately I've gone over the £2k budget by £143 but i have included a monitor and a M+K, obviously like Bloody_Pete said you can swap the case for something more to your own liking and that goes for the M+K as well, if you wanted to spend a bit less you could remove the CPU cooler as Ryzen come with their own, all be it slightly inferior coolers, and you could also go with a smaller HDD if you needed to save a few more bucks

There are some explanatory notes that should come with my build though. Firstly i went with a 3600X as IMO the extra money for 2 more cores just isn't worth it currently and I'm expecting the next gen of Ryzen to improve due to the fabrication process having had time to mature (7nm+) in addition if the OP isn't intending to do steaming and editing until latter down the line the decision to go with more cores can be made then.

I've also gone with a small 250GB PCIe 3.0 NVME drive with a view of upgrading it to a larger PCIe 4.0 drive later as current PCIe 4.0 drives are not much of an improvement over their 3.0 brethren, that will probably change when more players enter the field like Samsung.

I've also gone with 16GB of Crucial 3600Mhz RAM (Micron e-die) with a view of adding another two sticks later on down the line if 32GB is something the OP want's to go with once (s)he starts steaming and editing.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

On these builds you can save a fair bit of dough dropping x570 for x470,

I would also choose your monitor first and then build around that with the right GPU and then figuring out how much you have left over and compromise elsewhere

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea the PSU is one of those interchangeable things, i only went for the one i did because (IMO) the one Bloody_Pete chose was a bit of overkill, 650-750W should be more than enough.

How come you went with a 960 EVO instead of the 970 when it's £30 more?

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm of the opinion that you spend it now and you won't have to later with PSU's, I go for ones which will late around a decade, and the one I picked is regarded as the best of the best currently :) When you're looking at a £2k build thats basically where you should be aiming. Now I never understand why people skimp on SSD's, go for a 1TB one, rejoice, and live a better life with faster loadinng games! Plus yoiu'll be able to use it for encoding. IMO, those Samsung drives just aren't worth the money these days, that Corsair onne is one of the need breed which destroys them for price/performance/reliability/capacity!!! The one I selected it the one I use as it has one of the highest writes before failure of any drive in its class! Same going for the CPU, no point in worrying about what the market may do inn the future, buy wehat you need now. And personally I wouldn't bother with faster RAM, the additional performance won't be enough to offset the £60 difference.

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Whilst the majority of X570 boards (and X370/X470 top end models) do have dual 12v CPU connectors (either 8/4 or 8/8), the second connector is not required for anything short of extreme overclocking.

Buildziod went on multiple rants on this when doing his PCB teardowns of all of the X570 boards. It was actually quite funny to watch him devote many minutes going off on this singular point. :D

For reference I don't have the second 4 pin connected on my X570 Aorus Pro and the 3900X is boosting all the way to 4.6ghz even on the F4 bios.