1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Benq FP241W

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Nov 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

When are these beauties out?

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

My question as well. None on eBay

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I found one place which has an ETA on stock of 2 weeks, and a price of £610 :D

5. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Nice piece of kit, but just to far out of my price class. I think 20" is the way to go for me.

6. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Doh! I only just bought a dell 24" 2nd gen for £530 last month.

now if I can just fine one of my friends who needs a larger monitor!!

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Where is that??? I seen it on Overclockers for £669.74 which is the cheapest ive seen it.

It looks nice. But abit pricey when 19" can be had now under £150 :(

Last edited: 7 Nov 2006
  8. mikeuk2004

Is that true???? so this wont be any good for a 360 plugged into the HDMI as it will be stretched. Can you confirm that Tim.

9. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

you'll be doing well to plug the xbox into any hdmi ports

10. mikeuk2004

Does the 360 not connect into HDMI socket??. I thought the HDMI socket is the socket you plug High Def stuff in????

But any how, which ever way you connect the stuff up, will DVD's and the 360 picture be streched if plugged up directly to this monitor.

As I may consider it and a 360 but not if the picture is going to be distorted.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope, the 360 doesnt have HDMI or digital out of any kind. You're limited to VGA, Composite and component. Over VGA the 360 will do as many display modes as a PC.

12. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

I see no reason to upgrade over my Dell though, I mean for one - that amount of money surely they could have spent longer than 2 minutes designing its Bezel and stand.

Anyways more the merrier on the 24" ship :)

Oh and regarding the homepage comment :hehe:, any chance of making it a little better for larger screens?

Last edited: 7 Nov 2006
  13. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Hmmm this is better than the viewsonic then? I think that was the one Tim said was better than the dell last time round but I didn't see that reffered to...maybe i've had too much fizzy water.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Do the new Dells adjust farther down than the 2405 models? Because just like this Benq, my 2405 only goes down to about three inches above the desk, but you knock it on that.

Still, seems like a decent choice if I were to need something with an HDMI port (which I do hope to avoid). But is there no pass-through digital audio port so that you can have some sound along with your HD video? Seems like a problem, seeing that they're both in the same cable. Minor oversight there?

15. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Why avoid HDMI? It's a neat connector and carries uncompressed HD digital video and digital audio in one cable. Sounds great to me. Now HDCP on the other hand, there's something I'd want to avoid.
    Not really - just use one of the other audio outputs on whatever source. Saves having more cables hanging off your screen, which is by definition visible.

16. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Looks like a very nice monitor. Did you (or anyone else here) have a chance to test how the picture looks on a device connected to the Component Video?

17. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I must admit as the owner of a 24" screen I'm more interested in their upcoming 30" model :D

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

HDMI is the same as DVI plus digital coax audio, but it only comes on overpriced equipment. As I already have a DVI+optical setup (and optical is theoretically better, as it's not subject to crosstalk or other interference), there's no reason for me to switch. I'm not so much avoiding the connector as the stuff it comes on. I gave up on TV quite a while ago (on a rare occasion I'll bittorrent a show, but that's it) including HDTV, and I've got no plans to invest in any of the HD optical stuff until long after a winner has been decided and the format's been cracked. Though you're right - the real thing to avoid is HDCP, though more out of principle than anything else, seeing that it should be transparent if all goes well (then again so should other DRM, but that's worked SO well...).

That, and ALL of the related gear is insanely overpriced. I picked up an optical switch for ten bucks, and most of my other cabling equally cheaply. A single 6' HDMI cable would cost me twice that from a discount reseller, and switchboxes are often in the triple digits. More than anything else, what I have works and works well, and 'upgrading' so I can deal with one more form of copy protection really doesn't interest me.

19. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

So on top of this all what are the best 24" monitors then?

20. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

I'm still going for the Dell 2406WFP as it's about a hundred pounds cheaper and I'm on a tight budget, and there doesn't seem to be any significant distinction in terms of picture quality.

Tags: Add Tags