1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Best 9800pro for NOT overclocking / modding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mord, 14 Jan 2005.

1. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Recently I had a 9800pro die on me, still pissed at it. So im going to buy myself a new one and not make any alterations to it what so ever, so if it does die i can RMA it.

Question is, whats the best make of 9800pro to use as stock? I meant the
    HIS ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR IceQ Seems to have the best stock cooling (since i dont want to change stock heatsinks) would that be a good buy? Bareig in mind I dont want to spend more then £150.

(link) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html

Thanks once again,

Mord.

2. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

ALso on a side note, no where seems to have any currently in stock, ive tried,

Ebuyer / TekHeds / OCuk / Komplette

Any other suggestions?

3. malfunction

malfunction What's a Dremel?

For the same kind of money you could get a 6600GT. Not a huge difference in performance but you might as well. FWIW I've just had a 9800 Pro die - and as I'd added an arctic cooler and flashed it to an XT I can't RMA it either... Seemed like the arctic cooler (V4 - 'ATI 1') unscrewed itself and the core burnt out. Though I doubt I'll be able to convince arctic cooling so that's £125 down the drain. Talking of which (£125) if you're set on a 9800 Pro www.lowestonweb.com have them... As for the 6600GT www.dabs.com and www.tekheads.co.uk had the best prices on AGP versions last time I looked.

4. Hobnob

Hobnob What's a Dremel?

People keep asking this question. Only the bundles vary, all 9800 Pro's are clocked the same.

5. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

But the HIS Exlaibur comes with a VGA sliencer fitted as stock.

Also I thought the 6600GT was aful for drivers?

6. malfunction

malfunction What's a Dremel?

I have heard that nvidia have had some issues but nothing major - and you can only assume they'll be sorted with time. Of course the other option is to get a cheap placeholder card and wait until mid year before buying a socket 939 / PCI express rig (x800 XLs ought to be around 9800 Pro money around then I reckon)...

7. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Done a bit of research into both cards, may take the plung and buy my first ever Nvidia :D

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

did you know there's a graphics card forum? :worried:

Tags: