1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows BF3 noob questions thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by YEHBABY, 5 Nov 2011.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Having not played it, is it the same as BC2 where you hold the fire button after shooting to see where the bullet went?

If so, there is the tip - I was playing BC2 for weeks before my friend told me about that!

2. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

I was afraid this would be the answer. Sometimes I can't see the bullet drop which makes it tricky. I managed to shoot out a pilot in a chopper last night. I screamed so loud with excitement I woke my fiancee up.

Still only have the standard rifles - SVD and MOD. Looking forward to unlocking more.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

you get 50 points for suppression :thumb:

don't forget to mash Q button when you try to snipe an enemy. that's the whole point of being a recon.

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I tried mashing the Q button last night to spot a few enemies I had seen running towards one of our bases, I instead mashed W and ran out of cover.... :duh:

I think I need to remap "Q" onto one of my mouse side buttons (No doubt I will end up firing instead giving away my position).

5. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

I sometimes think Q is my most used button on this keyboard!

6. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

This is someone I would play with! :thumb:

7. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I actually have the same question as the OP, and I don't understand the answer that was given (although I don't have the game in front of me). What is this "deploy" screen? Is this in game or in battlelog? If it's in game, I have my class selection on the bottom left of my screen, idk what's on the right ._.'''.

I'm mostly in jets anyway (I'm trying to master flying and unlock everything for jets first) so this hasn't affected me too much, but once I get bored of air vehicles I'll probably be like a level 15 with 0 mods :p. The Q key is awesome in jets since I can't see anything on the ground until I press it, then boom! 30 little red dots appear in front of me and I can pwn ^^.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The "Deploy" screen is the screen you see when you're dead, suppose you could call it the spawn screen. It's the screen where you can see your squad mates, a map, and a list of places to spawn at.

At the top of the screen, above your list of squad mates, you should see some tabs. One is named "Deploy", it's the tab you're currently on hence why this is the "Deploy screen", and there should be some other tabs, one of which is "Customize". This tab takes you to the Customization screen screen where you can change the weapons for each class (by hitting customize on the class you want), change the camo used for each class (by clicking appearance on the class you want), change the unlocks attached to each weapon (by hitting the customize button on the weapon), and change the unlocks used for each vehicle available on the current map (get to vehicles with the "Land" and "Air" tabs on the customization screen). Once you've got everything sorted hit "Back" until you're at the main Customization screen again, then hit the "Deploy" tab to get back to the Deploy screen and spawn.

Also note that from the Deploy screen you can make minor adjustments as well. Select a class from the menu in the bottom left and use the list of weapons and gadgets to the right to select a primary weapon, secondary weapon, and gadgets for the selected class. Note that you can't change your appearance or the attachments for each weapon from this screen.

Hope that helps, I tried to make it as detailed as possible at the risk of being too hand-holding. Don't have the game open in front of me so allow for some slight naming or positioning inaccuracies.

9. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

This is the screen I normally see, so I'll go look for that deploy screen you're talking about. I really need to find that screen since I think some of my later jet upgrades aren't triggering because the jet doesn't have enough upgrade slots to handle them all xD. I was wondering why my belt upgrade and automatic radar didn't seem to be working when I got flairs and heat seekers automatically xD.

10. wyx087

the larger air radar + fire extinguishers + rocket pads are the ones to get.

vs air targets, just use the minigun.
    vs ground targets, rocket pad makes supporting ground much easier.
    fire extinguishers mean you don't need to worry about rocket locks, just use it when you get disabled and fly low and on the edge wait for auto repair.

can't wait to unlock TV missiles for for fire and forget tank kills :D

11. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Ok, a noob question here that has been bugging me. What's the deal with the chat box? I barely ever see the thing, occasionally it'll pop up and I'll see some text but by the time I've noticed it it's gone again. Is there a button to bring it up? Or can it be configured to display how you want it?

Also I'm yet to find the perfect button layout for flying with an xbox 360 controller, both jets and heli's. I'd be interested to know what other people have gone for, I'm sure I saw it posted before in one of the 2 threads but I can't find it. The initial layout is a bit retarded.

12. wyx087

what's your layout Sketchee? i've posted mine a while ago, may be you were referring to my layout. but i only use it for jet, i use keyboard for chopper, so interested to know your chopper layout.

don't think there is a toggle chatbox key, if there is, i'd love to know it! it's way too small all the way hidden top right with small text, i always miss it.

13. Sketchee

I think it was yours I remember seeing. To be honest I've not settled on anything so far. At the moment it's something like:

Triggers : Throttle up/down
    LB : Shoot
    Left stick : Pitch / Yaw
    Right stick : Bank
    Push in right stick : 3rd person

And a random smattering of other buttons for the rest of the commands, d-pad select weapons etc.

And yea I've found keyboard easy enough for heli so I think I'm gonna sack off gamepad for that.

Another noob question I just remembered! The heli mission in co-op, can you select who's the pilot and who's the gunner?? It just seems random at the moment.

Completed it on hard with a friend who was the pilot after a couple of go's. The other 2 heli's had extracted the troops and were flying off... mate was dicking about and got in the way of the 2nd heli's flight path... crash... dead... mission failed! Literally must've been 2 seconds away from completing the thing. Stupid AI. Even more stupid friend. I let him know it too :)

14. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

Do you have to activate the fire extinguishers?! I didn't know that, thought they automatically started...

Ended up taking them off as I believed they didn't work in HC (which I only play)

Thanks!

15. wyx087

mine 360 scheme is:
    -left stick behaves like flight stick in a plane: bank/pitch
    -right stick i'd like to be rotate view, not happening :(
    -ABXY: boost, third person, shoot, bail
    -Bumper buttons: yaw.
    -triggers: throttle

for co-op mission. no way unfortunately. i found the host is usually the gunner while the invitee is usually the pilot.

press the same button for flares to activate fire extinguishers. takes you back to 53% health, just fly away from action for a bit to have it auto repair to 100%.

16. Sketchee

This makes sense, I haven't tried it yet with my limited flying time so far. Don't you have to hold down a 'free look' button or something first? I think it might be defaulted as down on the d-pad then wiggle the analogue stick.

17. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately no regen in HC but useful to stop the slow depletion of health in aircraft until you can find a decent place to land.

Worth having in the Combat Heli for a pilot as gunner can have flares to compliment your extinguishers (if you're working together that is)

18. wyx087

i've been tempted to assign mouse movement to right stick + a key press on Xpadder to enable the look-around thing.

problem with D-pad while using right stick is that you will be flying in straight line. very bad. you want to be banking slightly while looking sideways onto the ground to find and spot enemy tanks for your next rocketpod strafing run.

also, sensitivity of right stick for looking around is almost 0 for me, holding it for 5 seconds only turning 45deg. :wallbash: 5 seconds in the air is pretty much half of the map in a jet.

defo worth using fire extinguishers for combat heli. shame can't use it as gunner though, because rocket goes wherever you deploy flare. if heli isn't moving much, you'll still get most of the blast. so i feel heli pilot using flares might be more efficient at dodging missiles, while gunner use it when vehicle get disabled.

19. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Question!

I'm a bit miffed that I got to play against a person who could shoot me down in 3 seconds flat. I know that he was using the machine gun, but I'm not sure how he managed to do so much damage so quickly :eek:. Is this the result of the belt upgrade+good aiming skill or what? I wanna learn this trick ^^. It usually takes me at least 5 seconds to shoot down a jet if I manage to get a spray going for that long, but this guy tailed and in 1 semi-quick spray got me to <60% hp consistently (played on an instant jet spawn server). I'm used to being tailed and getting sprayed for maybe 15% hp, but not 40%+ hp so I'd like to learn what this is. He was wicked good at tailing me so I recognize that he's got some skill involved with this too, but with my mg the way it is even if I did a perfect tail, I couldn't shoot someone down that quickly ._.

20. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Simple question, that I hope has an extremely simple answer that makes me look foolish.
    Is there any way to see what has been said in the chat box in multiplayer without actually sending another message?