1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Botls - I need some help.......please

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xarig, 9 Nov 2004.

1. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

I'm about to embark on my first serious mod, inspired by the genius I've seen on these forums :clap: . One thing I've learnt is the importance of preparation :naughty:

SO I 'm trying to find out what the bolts sizes are that are used in contructing a PC e.g standard case bolt sizes, hard drive mounting etc. I have :search: but to no avail. Can anyone help me here :blush:
    Thanks

2. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

I did of course mean BOLTS...... Fisrt post and I mess up :sigh:

3. the harlequin

the harlequin What's a Dremel?

4. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

I have never seen anything but 6-32 and M3. All my CD/DVD-ROM and floppy drives use M3. All my hard drives use 6-32. Maximum allowed penetration of the screws into the hole is usually 0.15" (3.8mm) max., sometimes 0.25in (6mm). Minimum required penetration seems to be 0.125" (3.2mm), but that's just a guess.

Seagate has drawings for HD in their documentation for download and Sony has drawings for CDs. The best documentation I found for a floppy was from YE-Data (never heard about them before), google for FDAA-520037 to find the document.

The studs for mounting the motherboard must stick out 0.088" (2.235mm) above the lower edge of the ATX-I/O cutout and have at most 0.4" (10mm) diameter (ATX Rev. 2.1.). They can either be M3 or 6-32.

5. MarkLP

MarkLP What's a Dremel?

Hi, please could you tell me what you mean by 6-32? i understand the m3 etc... bu not the 6-32
    thanks
    mark

6. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

6-32 is the US equivalent of M3. It is a #6 wire gauge diameter screw with 32 turns per inch. Confused :confused: ? Don't, worry :worried: you are not alone. For larger screws (then called bolts) the diameter is given in fractional inches, such as 1/4-20 for 0.25 inch diameter with 20 turns per inch. Check link for exact dimensions.

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~masermri/screws/screw1.html

7. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

I used 6-32 through-out my case, but found that the CDR, DVD and HD mount holes were some size slightly smaller...no problem I just tapped them out. Bottom line, the mounting screws for HD's and such may be a smaller size than 6-32.

8. MarkLP

MarkLP What's a Dremel?

Thankyou :D :clap:

9. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Thanks folks, it's appreciated - on with the planning! :clap:

10. tk421

tk421 Idiot.