1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Build not powering on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolicus, 7 Jul 2011.

1. coolicus

coolicus What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys

I've tentatively plugged in my build but unfortunately it isn't powering on I'm not sure I've hooked up the front panel stuff (LED's etc) in the right place but that isn't important I wouldn't think.

Anyway the only sign of any power getting to the board from the PSU is when I press the power button on the motherboard (MSI P67 G65) and nothing else - no fans spin up or anything.

I was having some problems before with the 20+4 pin power cable not fitting securely but it seems that got sorted :/?

Do you guys have any ideas about what this might be in regards to trouble shooting this little blighter! - Is it just that mobo might be damaged - but in that case why is a light coming on at all? Unless its a battery but it doesn't work when it's unplugged from the wall.

Blah I'm overtired but i appreciate any answers you guys will give

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The CPU power is connected yes?

Just calmly check over all the connections is the best first step, it's usually something very simple! Also is it just me or do we seem to be getting increasing posts about this exact same problem with MSI boards recently?

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

2nd mobo power plugged in?

4. coolicus

Thank you for the reply :).

I've definitely made sure the CPU power is plugged in :/.

Is there any way I can check if the PSU is working or not? Also not to sound like a dolt but how does the power switch on the front of the HAF X case connect to the mobo 0.o.

Ugh I'm so tired - off to bed but I really appreciate yours and everyone else's help. I've got scanscure on most things so that's something although it's still pretty gutting for it to feel like I've pissed £1600 up the wall :|.

Would it be an idea to check if my RAM is correctly seated too tomorrow? Would that stop the pc even turning on/powering the fans etc?

:(

5. longweight

Mobo manual should cover which ports are for the power switch and the cables in the case should have power switch or some such markings.

I just built £1400 of PC for the first time and I know the scary feeling!

6. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

The first time I built a computer it wouldn't turn on, I gave it a kick and it suddenly started working, never did find out what was wrong. As others have said just make sure all connections are secure and in the right place, best to do double checks with a clear mind. At the worst you might have a defective part, which can easily be replaced.

7. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

May sound like an obvious point, but are all your motherboard standoffs in position properly?
    You don't want a stray standoff sitting under the motherboard creating a potential electrical connection to the case.

What exactly happens when you press the power button on the motherboard? Have you tried just manually starting the pc up by touching a screwdriver to the power jumpers on the front panel header?

Lastly, did you try to power on before you put the mobo in the case (if you installed it that way), to check it was running then?

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

To the OP:

Disconnect EVERYTHING from the motherboard except the CPU and cooler. Plug the 24pin and the necessary 4/8 pin connectors. See if you can turn it on (you should get beep codes for missing pieces). Plug in the RAM. Repeat. Plug in the GPU. Repeat. Plug in drives one at a time.

Sometimes, after doing this, the system may just work!

All computers seem to briefly turn on then off, then after a pause switch on again when powered up for the first time. You probably happened to kick it during the pause period!

9. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

The part I've bolded is not good. I had this happen to me a few years ago. The PSU had a 20+4 pin motherboard power connector and I noticed that the +4 pin connector was a little loose. I thought that it would be fine so I just plugged it in and switched on my PC. Like you, I got no power and no fans spinning. It turned out that when I returned the tower to an upright position the +4 pin slipped out, thus creating an open circuit. When I turned on the switch on the PSU, this shorted out my motherboard. I was able to salvage the hard drives and my PCI cards, but the board, cpu and ram were shot.

I hope that the same thing hasn't happened to you.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2011
  10. trig

trig god's little mistake

yeah, i'm curious about what you mean by problems with it fitting securely...
    but follow the steps pete j advised to the letter...and you will figure out the problem...let us know

11. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

Yes, it's very important. The power/reset switch is usually bundled with that clump of wires going to the front panel. They all connect to the motherboard in a specific way. You're not plugging in a keyboard/mouse here, it pays to read your manual. How much did you pay for this gear that you don't want to read how to use it before messing up something vital. While you're reading your manual make sure you did other critical things like inserting the CPU/heatsink correctly.

12. jeff1155

jeff1155 What's a Dremel?

You have to be careful with the +4 bit, it probably needs to be securely connected to the 20 pin bit before you insert it with your other pair of hands (!) on the motherboard connector, which in itself can take some force. This can be difficult if the socket is located alongside the drive cages - as someone has mentioned its best to get everything going before you cram it all inside the case.

Hopefully it's just a rogue panel plug or something - I managed to plug my front panel USB ports into the BIOS plug in my motherboard after I changed a graphics card recently, fortunately with no long term effects. Have some sleep, run through the motherboard manual, and check all the connectors!

13. coolicus

Okay the CPU fan and case fans are coming on with everything else removed :D :D :D :D :D!!!!

I've read the manual but Im still not sure where the case speaker and the LED's go to though :|.

14. longweight

Ok so I downloaded the manual and you are looking for this section:

[​IMG]

Just run through it, the case and mobo labels probably won't be the same :p but they should both mention PWR LED + and PWR LED - or some such labelling.

Hope this helps.

15. coolicus

You my friend are a hero!

I think the whole problem was a power cable not properly connected to the mobo :O!!!!

LOL :p

colour me in relieved!

Thank you everyone :)!!!

16. longweight

Haha no worries! Took me an hour or so to work it out at the weekend as it was my first build!

Hope the rest goes well!

Long

17. coolicus

Hey again :p

Right everything is back in at it is powering up fine however pressing the power button on the front of my case does nothing whilst pressing reset seems to turn it on fine - would this indicate that I got one of the front cables the wrong way round?

18. alph4a

alph4a What's a Dremel?

Sounds that way. Just double check the case connections with the motherboard connections.

19. longweight

Does the power button reset the system once powered on? I would say its the wrong way round :D

20. coolicus

Blah life just got harder as the little helpful pin thing that you can put all the cables onto has broken :| one of the gold connecters has came lose :(.

So I guess I will have to manually fit them to the board now which is helpful as there are no markings on the board :p

Argh!!!

Any advice fellas