1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cable Management

Discussion in 'Modding' started by popotheflyingpanda, 3 Dec 2008.

1. popotheflyingpanda

popotheflyingpanda What IS a Dremel?

Hello all,
    This is my first thread (and post) and i just wanted to show off a little something I did with the cable management in my very first computer build!:lol:
    So any way ... the main thing that was modded was the PSU which I didn't acually intend to change at the beginning, but once i started, I didn't stop!:D
    The PSU is an Ultra X infinity something w/e i got from ebay for $40 :lol:
    [​IMG]
    -this is the PSU, the cables are all shiny and messy, and the spool of cable management POWER:rock:
    [​IMG]
    this is what i used to wrap the cables with, it was meant for cable management, but i picked it up a while ago and just happened to use it :)
    [​IMG]
    I tried it once and decided i liked the look of it:lol:
    [​IMG]
    so this is how it works, you just wrap it around and go
    [​IMG]
    things started to look good :naughty::lol:
    [​IMG]
    this is what the cables would look like before, they were flat, but could be pulled apart then stacked on top of each other and wrapped
    [​IMG]
    this is one of my 6 pin cables and as you can see the wrapping makes it very stiff
    I stopped here because my parts had arrived, and after putting the computer mostly together I went back to work:lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so this is the PSU almost finished, all I had left to do was the main power cable which was thick
    [​IMG]
    I pulled the mains power cable apart in bunches of 4 little wires
    [​IMG]
    the mains didn't look too bad, i split them up into 6 different cables to be wrapped
    [​IMG]

all in all I thought it looked pretty good for my first try, i think it looks like dredlocks :rock:

[​IMG]
    down to the case, the power, reset and usb were wrapped all nice and neat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The front audio cables got a little wrapping too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the two top fan cables wrapped nicely down the side
    [​IMG]
    wrapped
    [​IMG]
    I would also like to point out that it is easy to add or take out cables from the wrapping
    the little black boxes are the 3 speed fan controllers that came with the case, the end boxes were left sticking out for easy access
    [​IMG]
    Then I just tucked it under the lip of the case to hide it
    [​IMG]
    I now had all the parts in and just need to put all the cables in :D:D:D
    [​IMG]
    here is the preliminary fixing the cables that were not used were put up the side and tucked away. The two 6 pin power cables looped around and the mains went around the 260 gtx. The fan power (molex) turned around and went up the left side to connect with the fans and the hdd power was coiled behind the hdd cage and connected
    [​IMG]
    here's another look, the two cables going up the right side are an extra hdd power and a molex for the CD drive (i accidentally ordered one that used the old ribbon cables :( )
    [​IMG]
    here you can see the mains power coming out and the way the CD is connected (i messed around with it for a while and didn't get a position i liked so i just left it)
    [​IMG]
    here you can the molex that goes to the fans and the 8 pin power, both of which i don't like, the fan power comes off at a funny angle and doesn't lay flat, i will probably change it some time :rolleyes: and the 8 pin is too short and wont go around my mother board, so it had to go over my 260 gtx :duh:

In the end i was pretty happy with the way it turned out, a few fixes and it will look better.
    I am also in the process of making a fan controller, for the 4 fans i have, in electronics class. hopefully it wont be too hard to add in with all the cables.:lol::dremel:
    I am very proud of the work i have done and would a appreciate comments, questions or ideas!
    Thanks a bunch and happy modding!
    PS: If you were wondering the case is an unmodified antec 300 (we're going to have to change that soon :naughty: :dremel: :lol: )

2. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on taking the first step to modding! My first mod was cable management as well. I look forward to seeing more modding on that case in the future!

I like the uniformity of the cable wrapping, and how you split the 24pin wire into 6. I did notice a few things that stuck out, especially since you had all the others done. That ide cable (flat cable for the cd) needs to be wrapped. It's easy to carefully slice and fold and wrap them, like you did with the psu cables. Also, there's the sata cable, and what looks like audio or usb header cables that are just black, and not wrapped or partially wrapped in the case of the audio.
    My thinking is that you've used so much of it, and its pretty visible, you should make it a theme. I do need to say that I'm not a huge fan of the spiral wrap look. I always associate that type of wrap with boring work stuff. It is indeed very useful, and has the great feature of being easily removable. You've used it well, though I'd want to hide more.

I have seen some cool spring like things that are a bit flashier and scream MODDED to me, which might work, except that you would then see all the different colored wires through them.

Good luck on the fan controller!

oh yeah, and get black zip ties/ cable mounting clips. The white ones stand out. (unless you paint the interior white, which is a look I like.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2008
    cpemma likes this.