1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Can someone educate me on PCB Headers and ribbon connectors?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jacampb2, 10 Sep 2007.

1. jacampb2

jacampb2 What's a Dremel?

I would like to clean up some of my multiple board electronics projects, and use headers and ribbon cables to connect the PCBs, instead of hard wired together. I have been through most of 3M's data sheets on ribbon cable connectors, and PCB headers. I have looked at the selection at digikey and mouser, but I am finding it nearly impossible to figure out what headers and what connectors mate. They are fairly expensive, so I would rather not use the trial and error route.

What I am looking for is hopefully a tool less ribbon cable connector and solder on headers. Preferably in a variety of pin counts for different projects. Can anyone point me in a direction where the types and sizes of connectors are outlined, and what mates with what?

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Snipes0990

Snipes0990 What's a Dremel?

Well I am not sure if I am understanding what you are asking because there are many variations of ribbon cables. You could for example use something like this http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CON-88/189/2_8-PIN_CONNECTORS_W__HEADERS_.html
    I have used them before and they work great. Someone also commented that a similar cable head can be glued back to back with a matching header and used for a flexible IC socket. Here is a link for the whole page of multi pin connectors http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?query=&type=store&category=189&orderby=INVENTORY%2Estore%5Fquantity%2CORGANIZATION%2Ecategory%2CINVENTORY%2Ebrand%2CINVENTORY%2Emodel&start=16&limitcategory=&template=Connectors%5F%28Multi%5FPin%29%2Ehtml&searchfields=&match=&searchtype=

3. jacampb2

jacampb2 What's a Dremel?

That helps a lot. That is the first I have seen the header and cable sold together. The ones I have been trying to figure out have headers that look pretty much identical to an IDE hard drive connector, but they are available in nearly unlimited pin counts. The problem is, I find a header that has the correct pin count and foot print for my application, and then go looking for the ribbon end, and I can't find anything that says, this series connector works with this series header. Here is a link to the 3M headers I was looking at. clicky. This is their "2500" series. The problem is, there is no 2500 series ribbon end connector. I found 3M ribbon connectors that the same pin pitch and count, however, the data sheets say they can be keyed for polarization a multitude of different ways, and don't really explain how to determine what matches what. Also, when I try to find the ribbon connectors on digikey, they don't stock any of them, so obviously I am missing something, as they have the headers...

Does that make any more sense? Sorry for confusing you all, but I am just as confused.

Thanks,
    Jason