1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone reccomend me a Socket A motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JB, 13 Oct 2005.

1. JB

JB What's a Dremel?

Hi, my MSI KT3 Ultra has finally given up - the last PCI slot has died.

I need to get a new motherboard, for the set up (socket A barton 2800+) and 2700DDR memory.

I'm not interested in overclocking, i just want something thats rock solid - and if poss has a decent soundcard on board. I've had a look, but it seems socket A boards are getting very thin on the ground now, so its hard to make a choice.

I do not want to upgrade my processor etc, i just want to replace the board.

Whats a good board?

Thanks

JB

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I've found the MSI K7N2 to be a stable board, and the reviews on Ebuyer seem to agree.

The only problem is that the nForce2 chipset will not support off-board gameports. If that's a problem, then don't buy.

3. JB

JB What's a Dremel?

Sorry for being dumb but what dyou mean by off board gameports?

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Older soundcards came with a port on them that used to be used for joysticks and the like, but is also used for MIDI interfacing etc. It's mainly been superseded by USB but if you have any legacy hardware, such as an old MIDI adapter or whatever, then it would be a problem for you.

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Actually im gonna sell my Asus A7n8x Delux Rev.2 soon so if ur interested LMK...also its prob the best Skt A board apart from the Abit NF7-S
    also many many people can vouch for how good and stable it is...and also it does have a midi port but you dont have to actvate it if u dont want also its on a PCI back plate so you dont need to install it if you dont want.

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

The A7N would actually be my second choice, it would be a wise buy :)

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Both are good builds, have used both in recentish builds :)
    And Atanum - what don't you sell? :p

8. atanum141

im getting rid of some items i dont really need...and me mum + dad are on my case so...with the project log and stuff , i need to get some more space to do my work and project :hehe:

9. JB

JB What's a Dremel?

The Abit NF7-S 2 was the one i have been recommended elsewhere. It does seem to have all the options i want. I may end up getting that.

10. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Either would be great and both are great for overclocking, very stable too :D

11. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

i have both an Abit NF7-s rev 2 and an Asus a7n8x-e delux and have to say at stock clocks there isnt much to choose between them. The onboards sound on the NF7 is excellent as it is soundstorm approaved, im not sure if the asus is or not but its still not poor by any means. The asus seems a little better in the bios (for stock speed stuff) as if you accidentally alter a setting that results in a failure to boot, it will re-boot on the lowest settings meaning you can get back into the bios to correct your error withough having to clear the cmos (like you have to with the NF7). I recently picked up my asus a7n8x-e delux for the paltry sum of £18 as a used board from ebuyer (it came with nothing but the board) and its now happily residing in my media pc without any issues. My NF7 is in my main rig and again has been working perfectly since i got it just over a year ago. You wouldnt be disappointed with either choice.

12. atanum141

na mate u got the wrong idea...theres 2 versions.
    abit nf7-s rev.2 and nf7-s2...u will want the nf7-s rev.2 not the "s2". the"s2" is a crap version of the Rev.2 and its performance is pants compared to the proper rev.2 board.

if ur confused which one to get they buy my board off me as it has the exact features of the abit nf7-s rev.2 :D

13. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

I recently asked the same question when my soyo died. I bought the NF7 Version 2. I did not buy the -s version because i will not need SATA for some time. I have had no problems for the past few months, seems to be a rather stable board.

14. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

I had a nf7-s rev.2 and can safely say that its not only the best Socket A board but also the best overclocker.

Miss that ole' board (sniff).

15. JB

JB What's a Dremel?

Ok so is this the good one?

Clicky

JB

16. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Thats the beauty!

17. atanum141

18. JB

JB What's a Dremel?

19. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Another vote for Abit NF7-s here. Got mine around a year ago, and love it. Haven't had a single problem, and has all the features I need.

20. JB

JB What's a Dremel?

Have just put an order in for an abit board - thanks very much to all who posted their recommendations!

Jon B