1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Capcom: "PSN downtime costing us hundreds of thousands"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 May 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

Wait, what?
    I thought the main issue here was not ongoing attacks, but the fact that Sony found gaping security holes in their service which they are now having to fix?
    If so, the blame should lie just as heavily on Sony for their poor system design/testing.

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

An explanation would be nice. How the hell could it be costing Capcom possibly more than it is costing Sony? I don't know how much Sony are losing through the PSN being down (ignoring costs of getting it back up again, talking purely lost revenue etc), but I would be surprised if it was in the millions.

4. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

sony are probably saving loads on bandwith costs :p

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ge-may-not-be-fully-remedied-until-may-31.ars

Scary figures.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Who said it was costing Capcom more than Sony? Nobody.

7. alf-

alf- Minimodder

i'd imagine the lost income is from lost sales, i can't really see PS3 games being high at the moment with all the publicity going around.

also i would imagine capcom is missing out on a lot of sold DLC.

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Sounds like, 'you fine us, you get nothing'.

9. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

In other words.
    "Hi, we're Capcom, remember us? we're just after a free name check here while we kiss Sony's big ass and say how evil those pesky hackers are".

10. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

"Hi, we're Capcom, we've put always online DRM into our games and no-one can play them while PSN is down. When PSN does come back no-ones going to touch our **** with a barge-pole"

11. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

oh look, another "blame the hackers" statement. Its getting quite amusing how much effort is being made to shift the blame off Sony

12. alf-

alf- Minimodder

who else is to blame?

sure Sony has a lot of fault towards this in regards to lack of security and their messed up handling of the affair, but you can't really blame them for it happening.

13. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

****! Fair enough, I didn't realise that it could cause that much damage. I'm still selling PS3 games like usual at work, and one guy even bought £40 qorth of PSN credit, ready for when it comes back on. I hadn't realised the outtage could have done so much damage.

I used the word possibly because I didn't imagine Sony could possibly be hit so hard by the outtage, and I even explicitly said I have no idea what the figures were. Thankfully, at least Zurechial was kind enough to post some details for me.

14. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Last edited: 10 May 2011
  15. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

This guy really thinks the hackers care about consumers who only contribute to Sony being a d-bag?

16. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

This. I find it a little amusing that Capcom are complaining because they're losing revenue after (and due to) implementing a system that many people find intolerable. At least, it's amusing until I remember that they're not the only ones using that kind of system :/

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

well security is somewhat a joke.. I can imagine sony maybe had a breach internally in the worst case scenario, or it could be they are just incompetent running old software with known security issues as reported (the lamest scenario)

I was at stanford yesterday and ran a scan of the wireless network on campus.. the public network used by students was wep but what was really shocking was the private wireless network the doctors in the medical wings use was also running wep (even if it was running radius.. having wireless access with peoples medical records possibly being exposed is ballsy imo.. but it was wep!)

granted it was as secure as wep could be.. but that doesn't matter when the protocol itself is a total joke.. this was actually the first time I brought my equipment to stanford

I was curious since all these breaches are happening, even took a look at folding at home

but see, I'm just one guy with a white hat with no malicious intent (I didn't even go into the networks, as that would be illegal).. I'm sure there are plenty on that campus who do the same.. but the difference is just because you can do it, doesn't mean you open a can of whoopass and go poking around

the guys who took down sony, could be totally unrelated to what's being reported.. if sony was given advanced warning of security issues and did nothing about it, just screams stupid

maybe it's as simple as a group of criminals looking to steal identities.. security is only as good as the guys you have maintaining the network.. company that big there is no excuse (other than being cheap- and then you have to ask.. why)

and sony took over a week to tell anyone anything.. you want to hire console gamers to take care of your network.. save a few bucks then you get what you get.. all they'd need is one guy to oversee security.. there really is no excuse with a company that big

maybe it's related to the earthquake!

18. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

i'd imagined single player focused back library games have been selling well as people get round to playing them

19. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags