1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Conflict: Denied Ops - Hands-On

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Jan 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/01/19/conflict_denied_ops_hands-on/1

The Conflict series has gone from strength to strength in the last few years, shipping more than six million copies over five games. Now, we go hands-on with the latest instalment in the series, Denied Ops. Billed as the ultimate casual FPS, Denied Ops could be a slice of co-op greatness.

:brrr:

2. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

pity about how the series has fallen.

I remember picking up the first one for gamecube a while ago because it looked interesting, and had hours of fun playing through it with a friend, same goes for C:DSII

Conflict: Vietnam was where the series started to slip a bit in my opinion, the level design was a bit too linear unlike the originals (where there was always at least two approaches, or methods, not just shoot and survive) and the newer objective and rankings system (for skill upgrades) killed the simplicity of it.

Conflict: Global Terror was bad in the sense that the difficulty even on easy was probably the equal of medium or hard on the first three, and while some of the new ideas were great, they were very poorly implemented.

if they can take some lessons from the last three games in the series and take it back to its roots with these lessons and a good game engine they might be able to create something that could be one of the best games of all time, but I quite frankly don't see that happening this millennium.

3. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

well this is an absolute no brainer for me this just seems to be another turd in the conflict chain o truds. I wouldnt waste time on this game even if it was for free. Theres just to many incredibly good FPS games out there and this aint gonna be one of them.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

i'm sorry, but i love this series. granted conflict vietnam was a pile of poo, but global terror still gave us more of what we enjoyed. so what there was a barely-there story line? the only thing that stopped me enjoying it so much was the fact that foley (the character i always played) was replaced by gender balancing characterless female. it's arcade team based fun. very good fun. i'm just very sad to see that the new one isn't 4 player.

oh, and global terror was pretty easy tbh. (except for that level where the team is split in the snowy mountains and one squad is permenantly underfire from tanks and mortars, only level we didnt complete on hard) it was always hard but never impossible.

5. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I just went back and looked at my save files

seems I had been playing on hard the entire time :worried:

and the killing off of foley was a big issue; I always played him, even soloing with him in some of the earlier games (try getting one character to colonel :hehe: )

and tbh, global terror also sucked in that the weapons carrying system made 0 sense. pocketing everything into 1 slot categories made it so that all the characters had weapons, (no more dumping on one character and using him exclusively) but it also killed one of the more fun things about the game, weapon swapping for customized kits.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I just finished the game today, and I find it to be a great game. I's pretty simple to understand, and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Unlimited ammo is great as well. Opens up for lots of heavy action. The last standoff in particular is pretty awesome IMO.

I wish it was a bit longer and had a bit more open terrain, though.

Tags: Add Tags