1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Cooler Master "Mastercase Racing" 5 / Pro Custom PC, FINAL Update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 10 Mar 2016.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I cut and bent the final piece of SS tubing yesterday. I really liked the challenge in using something different. I also like it's bright metallic finish. It doesn't absorb smudges, fingerprints, so maintenance it easy. The biggest advantage to using stainless for PC water cooling is it's corrosion resistant properties. It does require specialized tools that include a hacksaw with bi-metal cutting blade, hand files and deburr tool. You must deburr the edges of the tubing to avoid slicing into rubber o-rings for your compression fittings. It also requires a specialty bending tool, like a hand pipe or mandrel bender. I recommend the 600 series bender by Rigid Tool or Imperial brand tube benders, these are the lowest cost. Type of stainless tubing I used for my loop is T-304/304L, Seamless Tube in 0.5" x 0.035" x 0.43"

Mnpctech Stainless Steel 1/2" OD Compression Hardline Fitting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tools & Supplies Used:

*RIGID 600 Series Tubing Bender
    *Table Vise with Terry Cloth towel, to avoid scratching tubing.
    *Micro Hand File
    *Hacksaw with Bi-Metal Cutting Blade
    *Table top grinder
    *50 grit sand paper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Aug 2016
  2. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

I've wanted to do metal tubing for a while now. This will be great to follow. I guess choice of metal would be something to be aware of.

3. mnpctech

hey Todd, I'm using T-304/304L, Seamless Tube in 0.5" x 0.035" x 0.43" with distilled water

I also changed my mind about the UV Orange front grill, applied primer coat while debate about leaving it matte black? or painting it the GULF blue to match the case body?

[​IMG]

Remember Mnpctech 120mm blow hole fan grill kit?....looks evocative a fuel filler cap ring, and will be mounted in the top window of the mastercase, http://mnpctech.com/cooler-master-mastercase/mastercase-top-window/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. eucalyptus

eucalyptus I am 19 and Swedish!

I am speechless :jawdrop:

Or I am not, because Owen are in the top 3 best modder in the world...................

5. mnpctech

Thank you for checking out the build and posting eucalyptus :D I hope to have another update posted in the morning :dremel:

6. mnpctech

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Love it. Any possibility of painting the water pipes to match though? never seen that done yet.

8. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

BURN THE HERETIC!!!

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Kinda liked the UV orange, though...:(
    @Vault-tec - You don't just ask someone who spent WAY too much money on stainless pipes to paint them, dude!

-Although you could sneak a little paint in the groove of the compression fitting nuts to see how it looks.

10. mnpctech

I can see how matching tubing would look nice, too. I chose this type of tubing because it's evocative of the fuel and brake lines used in street performance and racing cars. I really like the look and challenge of using something different than mainstream tubing like flexible or PETG etc.

Advantages of Stainless Steel Hard Line:

Bright metallic finish is aesthetically pleasing. SS doesn't absorb dirt, smudges, fingerprints or scuffs, making maintenance very easy. The biggest advantage to using 316 Marine Grade stainless for PC water cooling is it's corrosion resistant properties, so you can use distilled water in your loop.

Disadvantages of Stainless Steel Hard Line:

Costs more than traditional flexible tubing, acrylic petg etc. Stainless steel requires more time and specialized tools that include a hacksaw with bi-metal cutting blade, hand files and deburr tool. You must deburr the edges of the tubing to avoid slicing into rubber o-rings for your compression fittings. It also requires a specialty bending tool like the Rigid I used or mandrel pipe/ tubing bender. Tightest radius bend you can get with 1/2" OD in 0.035" wall thickness is 1-1/2" which makes it very challenging when used in a PC chassis, so you have to get inventive with your bends or use 90 degree fittings.

11. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Corrosion is entirely dependent on the surface potential of the material,SS wont suffer but thats not to say other metals in the loop wont be stripped. All kind of moot as Watercool have used slabs of SS for years as covers but its still something to consider. Pretty much any SS grade would be ok for our use tbh,IIRC low carbon grades are best for bending....I could have that wrong tho.

Im surprised,seeing as you were aiming for the motorsport look,that you didnt use braided and banjo bolts?

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I'd just pee on your fire :D

13. mnpctech

Last edited: 22 Aug 2016
  14. mnpctech

Last edited: 6 Sep 2016
  15. Quantum-192

Quantum-192 What's a Dremel?

Those combs look amazing Bill.

Ever thought of doing some that are totally enclosed (so the cables thread through them) and then engraving MNPCTECH across the flat face.....they would look so cool on builds. You could even have anodised colours.....and brass ones for steampunk builds :thumb:

Last edited: 5 Sep 2016
  16. neSSa

neSSa Multimodder

Beautiful combs, will fit perfectly with pipes :thumb:

17. mnpctech

@neSSa, Agreed, I really like that look!

@Quantum-192, Yes, different styles would be cool! Are you using 4mm sleeving? I'm getting sample of 4mm MDPC-X sleeve to test. Overview of billet comb with 3mm OD sleeve

18. Quantum-192

Yes mate. 4mm sleeving for me.

I have now resleeved all of Evie's cables completely with MDPC-X sleeving.

Just watched your video on the combs and can see your rationale of making them 'clip in' for users that don't want to take their cables apart.....how about making a clip on plate with MNPCTECH engraved or milled on it that could be added after the comb had been clipped in to the cable? That would would be a great addition?

Last edited: 6 Sep 2016
  19. mnpctech

Yea, lots of manufacturers and small shops offering custom order or pre-sleeved cables, so these give people option to add combs after cables are made. I was thinking of doing that for limited edition series with slightly different design. I need to check out Evie :thumb:

20. Quantum-192

Look forward to seeing the custom combs Bill :thumb:

I must admit I love your MNPCTECH products as they are of the very highest quality and design. You can see from Evie that I have your grills on the front and top of the case and I have another lot of your stuff going in my next build to.

I ordered one of your graphics card supports direct from you a few months ago.....you will be very surprised at how I'm planning to use it in the new build - certainly not how I imagine you thought it would be used when you designed it :D.....

I get most of my MNPCTECH stuff from Graeme at Kustom PC here in the UK but it was a pleasure dealing direct too.

Anyway, enough high jacking of your build log.......when will we see more of this beauty?