1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks guys. :thumb: @ Beast the intakes will be polished to mirror finish. The pads and supports will also be polished. The interior will be mostly anodised but the case will be painted. Colour is still to be decided between a very narrow range of metallic charcoal/silver.

Thanks for the kind words Seba. :) I have high hopes for the final look and do hope it will be at least close to the picture in my head.. :D

Thanks, I'm still wrestling with putting some i/o in between the fins. But I don't really find these important any more as in my case a least, I have four USB ports on my monitors that I use. And if it means choosing between utility or aesthetics, well, the latter always wins. ;) Of course I'm still open to other locations for these so I wont say that they will be absent just yet.

Thanks alain. :thumb:

Thank you, it weighs 7 kilo's. :)

Thanks monkeyfun, I have never modded a case before and I don't feel an compelling desire to. Having said that, I have to mod an old apple PC for my daughter after cl is done. :)

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ah that's nice to know you have been working alu double the time I have :D gives me hope I might eventually be doing sweet work like you do, I'd love to see your first efforts :D but ultimately what your efforts have led up to are just insanely brilliant :rock::jawdrop::clap::dremel:.

3. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Hey, this looks pretty good.... ;) (Read: It's flawless and nothing compares to this)

You used a lathe back in '73? Man... I was born in '73. May I ask how old you are?

4. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

yes yes YES !!!! Somebody understands me !!!

P.S. I am very jealous :lol:

5. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I'm still sitting here trying to figure out what this beast is going to end up looking like. The fins in the lower part of the front look cool.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I got in a little late to tell you how gorgeous that is, so I'll save your desk from more punishment.:lol:
    The search term for the mesh you used there is expanded metal.:D
    -Think of the desks...

7. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I must say the craftwork here is sublime!

When machining parts of fork lifts etc it took a hell of a lot of work and patience and the results were never as refined as this. I hold my hat out to you!

8. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

This build really gives me shivers every update again.

9. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

There is no need for a mod of the year competition. Just send Attila new hardware each year so he can keep cranking out the quality.

Mod of the year -> Other modders need not apply :)

10. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Wow this is one awesome design and the skill and precision of the work is outstanding :rock:

11. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks mate. :thumb:

Thanks, I was 16 in 73. :eeek:

:hehe:

Thanks voigts. :thumb:

Thanks, yeah I knew what the stuff was but the place where I originally bought it doesn't sell it anymore and I really couldn't find anywhere that did. :duh:

Thank you. :)

Haha, thanks again. :thumb:

:blush: Thanks for the kind words mate. :)

Thank you. :thumb:

I have to go to hospital on Monday for some 'modding'. :hehe: So I've decided to update what I have done (not much) because I don't know when I will be able to do more work.

Although I started work on the side panels, and showed the result, some time back, I got distracted and made other things. So to pick up where I left off......

Marked up the two lower frame pieces on some 1.6mm sheet. Cut, filed and curved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to show how the little tabs are bent because some of you were interested in how this was done. First, the bend line is heavily scored to make room for the bend and result in a tighter bend. Then the part is fixed in the vice so the score line is just visible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the bend is started using a big lump of alu (or wood/steel/whatever) to pull the part over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It gets really difficult to pull the bend past a certain point, so, with the help of my trusty nylon mallet the bend is finished with extreme prejudice.

[​IMG]

Here are some detail shots of the bend in place. In this case the bend worked first time, but if it didn't (as with many of the bends in CX1) then the nylon mallet and various lumps of alu are used to get the bend to comply with my wishes. :hehe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking at the part fitted, straight away I can see that I don't like the projection at front, behind the strut. So this will be removed.

[​IMG]

If you remember, some pieces were made to fill the cut outs in the floor. These will come away with the side panels when they are opened upwards, gull wing style. Some mounting blocks were made from 8mm plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Always have to try and stay perpendicular to the edge when tapping on the curve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lower side panel part fitted with socket screws to check the work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I made mention of this when making Na'ir, but I'll go over it again because it's pretty handy. When you need to countersink thin material, in this case 1.6mm sheet. Because the screw head is thicker that the sheet, you need to also countersink the substrate. Here I'm doing both together using a hand drill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this part is ready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mmmmm.....curves. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back when I can. ;)

Waynio likes this.
  12. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

That is amazing again. It's so awesome how you make parts that fit into each other perfectly!

I hope you can get on with the modding as soon as you can!

Will this have wood or perspex?

13. Aniki Stinson

Aniki Stinson In cornichons we trust.

One Attila's update a day leaves illness away.
    Yeah. Wish you some good rest after your next monday's modding session.

Will it run Crysis ? Hu... will it be a "look through" case, like Nai'r al Saif ? And will there be the motherboard on one side of the motherboard tray, and HDDs on the other side ?

[By the way : you're still my hero, even if you disappointed me a lot with your non-drawing skills :hehe: ]

14. Skeese

Skeese What's a Dremel?

Awesome craftsmanship! So many clean lines :jawdrop:

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Been looking at many cars for inspiration, bet you could make a new supercar :) but the pc equivalent is just as good, this is seriously awesome & looking forward to seeing the swinging side panels :thumb: hope you get well soon after your Monday modding too mate :).

ps I agree with Djayness comment earlier :hehe::thumb:. oh & +rep :).

16. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

This reeks of awesome.

Proper edge of your seat stuff :D

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Thanks for the update.
    Hope the modder you meet on Monday is as good as you are! :thumb:

18. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Clean and precise work my friend :)

My Monday's mods go as well :thumb: Best wishes Attila and we'll see you soon. :)

Craig

19. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

You're sure you're not a metal-machining robot?
    Absolutely stunning fit on every single part.

20. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

do you mean can its reflection play crysis