1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Crazy artifacts on 9800 Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 11 Jun 2005.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Just now my games started to artifact like crazy. I Took a Screenshot from UT: http://photobucket.com/albums/v478/Neogumbercules/?action=view&current=Shot00007a.jpg

I have no videocard overclocks, its about 60 degrees F in my room. My case fans are working and theres really no obvious reason why it should be doing this (other than its broken"

My computer is
    Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939
    A64 3000+ at 223mhz
    512 Kingmax 3200 RAM
    9800 Pro

Any tips?

Btw, it does this on all games, UT was on max settings, but City of Heroes was on default settings and it still did it.

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Thats a memory problem, try adding another fan blowing side on over the card. You havent added/removed any hardware latey have you? Or update drivers?

3. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

first bet would be to try drivers for sure like Highland3r stated.

4. Neogumbercules

Ill get the newest drivers and tell you what happens. I've been considering a new card, so maybe I will just get a new one anyways and an extra case fan or something.

5. Neogumbercules

The newer drivers seem to have solved the problem for now. I had the most recent ones up to the latest release which was only a few days ago I thought. Oh well. Maybe I will just get a 6600GT anyway.

6. Neogumbercules

Just as I expected it happened again. It went crazy as I was playing City of Heroes. I blew off the dust and made sure everything was put together right and it hasn't done it withing the last couple of hours, but I don't doubt it will happen again.

I think ill just use this as an excuse to that that 6600GT I've been wanting. :D

7. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

Video card fan failed/failiing? Had an ati fan fail on me. Just suddenly started with artifacts one day, but only under heavy gaming. No problems otherwise. Bought an aftermarket cooler for it and life went on.

8. Neogumbercules

I checked to make sure the fan was spinning and it was. I'm gonna give it once more chance, if it does it again, I'm just gonna order a 6600GT and put this one in a project pc I'm thinking about making.

9. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Could be any number of things really, check the card is seated very well in the AGP port. It may also pay to remove the HSF on the card, carefully remove the gunk and use some AS5 or something, then reseat the HSF.

10. Neogumbercules

thanks for the advice, but im pretty deadset on geting a 6800 and turning it into a GT. I'll order that and a thermaltake 420 watt PSU, plus try to figure out a cooling solution for my case, maybe take it to work and cut some holes in it or something.

11. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Yeah, try each solution one at a time. Maybe then you will find out the source of the problem and report back. I'm sure other people who've had similar problems would like to find out what caused yours.

12. Neogumbercules

After checking everything, it has yet to do it again. The artifacts have yet to return. It is possible it will never happen again, but an upgrade is in order regardless. If anyone else is having the same issues, then try everything said in this thread, as for me, 6800(GT) here I come.

13. striker289

striker289 What's a Dremel?

i would just replace the cooler with ati arctic cooler. and while your at it see if you have a r360 core. if you do you can flash your card to a 9800xt. I did and it rocks!!!!

14. Neogumbercules

Ah, speak of the devil. It just happened, and only about an hour after making my last post lol. I did manage to pinpoint the variable, its my A/C, I turned it off today because its been a bit cooler than normal here (mid nineties last week, 50's-70's this week. Obviously that means I need better cooling on it, but for it to overheat on room temps, that makes me wonder how good of condition it could actually be in. I'm still dead set on the 6800 though, so this post is just to say that I found the problem.

15. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

I had similar issues recently and managed to solve them. I reseated the card, making sure it was firmly in the slot. I then cleared CMOS, booted up the computer, went into BIOS and then changed only the options I needed to (turning off things I don't need SATA etc). Then in windows, under the driver options, I turned AGP to x4 and fastwrites were left on.

That seems to have stopped the artifacts for now. *prays its been sorted for along time* :rolleyes:

16. Neogumbercules

Ah, I'm glad I ordered my new card and PSU. It's starting to arfiact even in windows applications now, with the A/C on full blast and the sidepanel off, with the air from the A/C having a clear shot for my computer.

17. Muzza

Muzza What's a Dremel?

my graphics card has major artifacts on the last level in the generals challenge in zero hour, could be though that the fan and heat sink popped off and I just stuck it back on with some 4 year old cheapo thermal paste.

It probably also doesnt help that it's a Geforce256 DDR :hehe:

Guess it's time for an upgrade! :rolleyes:

18. Neogumbercules

Can't help but no reccomend the 6800. Hasn't gotten here yet, but from all the reviews, it's a damn good card.

19. scaryperson27

scaryperson27 What's a Dremel?

Tags: