1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Cube World

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sloth, 9 Jul 2013.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Anyone else been playing this? Or rather, anyone manage to purchase it through the server problems? And if you haven't heard of it, here's a video from the creator:

Been playing it with a couple friends and am fairly impressed. At first glance most people's first thoughts will likely be "how is it different or better than Minecraft?" but can fairly safely say this is a different game. Beyond the initial visual similarities of the infinitely generated block-based "voxel" world the similarities start fading with the focus of Cube World leaning more strongly towards adventure RPG than sandbox.

There's no construction involved, no building houses and tunnelling around. The focus is on combat, and exploration. Players can choose from four different classes with unique combat abilities, level up, get better equipment, and learn new skills. The world is full of more varied and combat-capable enemies with bosses all over. All items must be looted from enemies, crafted with items found by exploring, or purchased from shops. Different regions have different appearances and enemies. Features like ridable pets, boats, hang gliders and climbing make exploration and travel enjoyable.

As the first release version it's got plenty of room for improvement, but I've really been surprised so far. There are areas where content is lacking but it's apparent that these are areas which will be impoved, such as class skill trees. There are plenty of odd bugs and glitches but again, to be expected. Time will tell just how quickly these things get impoved and taken care of, fairly important when considering buying a game in alpha.

As to be expected with a colorful game that lacks any clear goal or end state, the let's play crowd is already latching on so if you're into having someone laugh and scream endlessly while poorly playing games there are quite a few videos out there with some pre-release closed alpha gameplay and post-release gameplay to learn more.

2. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I have it! :D I managed to get it a few days ago. Sadly none of my friends have been able to yet. Having fun, though I am pretty bad at it XD I had to kill a bumblebee and it made me so sad, they're too cute to kill!

3. Wira

Wira Spoderman

Been playing with a couple of friends. Pretty good fun, but lacking any real gameplay goals (except for exploring ofc) etc. atm. Definitely has potential though, and the combat is damn good.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Having now gotten into the 70s I've still been discovering things. Didn't even know there were teleport stones!

Quests are supposed to be on the books, and already in development but not added into the player available version of the game just yet. Not entirely sure just yet what kind of quests there will be but they won't be replacing the current daily missions. Could be things like "kill 10 lemon beetles", or something like "rescue this NPC from such and such". It'll definitely add some direction.

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Offer links on download page, none of which work. How frustrating. I can deal with offer linked stuff but not when it doesn't smegging work. Not a good way to put your game out there, I'd have happily paid rather than put up with this crap.

6. Hex

Not sure what offers those are, I can't see anything.

Remember though, they have suffered some really vicious DDoS by people trying to stop them selling their game. I really feel for them, they haven't deserved what's been happening to them :(

7. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I bought this over the weekend.

I've only played single player and boy is it tough, witches & wizards that can take you out at range in seconds, even fights against close range enemies are touch and go at Level 1. tbh it all feels like a massive grind in sp :(

But I can see the potential, I like the world from a visual stand point and the way you can transfer over your character to different worlds without losing progress.

I really need to get some mp on the go to see if I get on with it more or if it gets left for a month or so until newer content with more direction gets added.

8. Hex

Single player is really hard. It is easier, though not easy, with friends. Having a pet really helps. I have a mole and he just wrecks people while I stand back using ranged attacks.

Tbh I've ended up mainly using a class that's considered OP, Water Mage, I'm not very good at these kind of games anyway so it balances it out a bit for me. It's also pretty much the only way to go when I'm playing people on the other side of the World with connections even worse than mine. The lag is sooooooooo baaaaaad :(

Levelling took me a while to get used to as well. It seems unlike every other game I've ever played, you level up super slow at first and faster later on. I still have trouble with white bosses though on my own. I avoid red battles like the plague!

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The levelling really is odd. Enemies have a flat experience value, if it gave you 5 XP at level 1 it will give you 5 XP at level 100. The experience required to level also doesn't go up as drastically as one might expect, it might even increase by a flat value per level (can't confirm, seems like about ~30). On the flip side of that, your gains per level get to be less and less. You always get the same two skill points, not sure about the HP gain, but the Power gain drops off. From level 1 to 2 you gain 5 Power. At higher levels (~100)you need 5 levels just to get 1 Power. To reach 100 Power you presently need to reach just shy of level 2000. For reference, you get 99 Power at just shy of level 1000.

At low levels you lack the combat capability to effectively kill enemies so even 50 XP takes ages, but once you get the basics (armor in each slot, pet, few points in basic skills) you become vastly more capable to the point where you're killing enemies so much faster that you level faster even with a higher XP requirement per level.

Class balance is presently pretty poor but since it's not a competitive game yet likely is taking the back seat to the wealth of planned features yet to be added and more necessary bug fixes. Ranger and Mage in general seem quite strong (just like with the NPCs) and each class seems to have one specialization that out classes the other. I've been playing Water Mage as well and it's almost strictly better than Fire. The attack speed boost makes your damage output similar to the insta-cast proc Fire gets, but you also get healing from hitting yourself/allies/pet with your own spells, and a super effective heal. There's almost no need for healing items as Water, potions are only nice if you're really struggling on MP and out of combat healing is made redundant. But my friend and I have been hit by a bug that makes all enemies in multiplayer do double damage, so I justify it!

Last edited: 16 Jul 2013
  10. Hex

Ah... I knew about the Power thing, but thanks for going into more detail on the levelling. It is really weird. Played for hours with 2 friends, made it to level 4. I left them and they played the next day for a few more hours and were level 22! Now I can't catch up, so I'm solo-ing stuff.

I really wish it had some kind of banking system. I want to do a Terraria and throw stuff in chests my other characters can grab. I get so much Rogue stuff when playing as a Mage...

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

If you play with them while they do missions you can catch up fairly quickly. When a mission is completed all players in the server get the XP and loot automatically put into their inventory (typically a single item). At lower levels you can actually get multiple levels from a single mission. You can also follow them around to the tougher areas and just play it safe. In order to get XP from a kill you only have to have damaged (or at least attacked, even if you did 0 damage it seems) the enemy first. The XP isn't split or anything so if they're killing things worth, say, 15 XP all you have to do is poke them and you'll get the full 15 XP as well.

Some way of reclaiming items is what I'd like to see eventually. Like destroying a green staff and having a chance to gain some amount of wood and/or emeralds. Finding enemies that drop high quality (purple/yellow) gear is far easier than actually finding rubies or diamonds so it'd make crafting high quality gear much more useful.

12. TrevDX

Rolled a new mage character last night after the above posts and have found it more enjoyable albeit still running around like benny hill sometimes when I might have antagonised too many enemies. Me and my trusty Collie have managed to kill a few and get levelled up to level 2 :)

One question though my mage is a Fire mage but I couldn't see anyway of determining between a fire and ice mage, am I missing something simple?

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

On your skills window (X) there are two large icons at the top. One's a little flame that should be in color, and the other's a greyed out water droplet. Click on the water droplet and voila! You're now on the water mage skill tree. You'll need to be standing near a class trainer to actually hit "Accept" and change your skills.

And just in case, class trainers can be found in cities. They're in the Adventurer's District in different buildings for each class, and each city will always have them. Ranger's looks like an archery range, Mage's has a big purple gem on the roof and symbols on the floor, Warrior and Rogue have their own as well. Easiest way to tell is if there are test dummies nearby. Be aware that there is a cost associated with switching your skills, and it goes up depending on how many skill points you want to change.

14. TrevDX

Thanks Sloth

15. Ljs

Ljs Modder

So I played this practically all of yesterday and had fun.

Got my ninja to level 30 and I'm thinking "what now?". There are certain 'dungeons' I can farm for better equipment, but what is the point?

The levelling is very weird, and the HP on bosses just increases to ridiculous amounts (spend 5-10 doing the same thing over and over to kill a boss).

Also, there is a bit of a flaw with the rogue class. Most dungeons are pretty much pitch black so you need to use a lantern. I can't stealth with a lantern (well I can but it takes ten times as long and breaks when you sneeze).

I had a ball though while it lasted.