1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress D33P THOUGHT, ..COMPLETE..FINAL PICS+VID

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asouter, 21 Jan 2012.

?

Hoopy or Tart3 handbag

Poll closed 16 Apr 2012.
  1. Hoopy

95.5%
  2. Tarts handbag

4.5%
  1. nagoy

nagoy What's a Dremel?

Hmm...a smooth, frictionless, black surface that even light can't escape from? Sounds like the outside of a spaceship programmed to crash into the sun of Kakrafoon!

Somewhere you will need a black control panel, with black buttons, covered with black text, which light up (in black) when pressed to show you've pressed them! (with the words "Please do not press this button again", although technically that's from a different part of the book).

Nerds ITT!

2. Nightglow

Nightglow What's a Dremel?

Looking awesome so far! Personally, I'd love to see "Don't Panic" make an appearance somewhere in this build, but that's just my opinion. I'll be following this with great interest.

3. Asouter

Asouter --------

Lol, yup there's alot of ideas to play with, the on/off switch and PLED has plans ;)
    Stay Froody

4. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks buddy (oops wrong series) I'm very happy with the progress so far, the Asus rampage 3 has a ROG logo that lights on and off, that also has plans. The whole project has been a joy, there's so much material from the books to play with. There's still a few things I have hidden under my hat.
    Again thanks for the compliment :thumb:

5. Charmy

Charmy What's a Dremel?

"Don't Panic" it's looking fab:clap:
    I think the new rads will look better in the overal design :thumb:

Asouter likes this.
  6. Asouter

Asouter --------

Ahh hello sweet thing, I see you noticed my new rads, It wasn't me, My friends made me do it ......(runs away, hides behind Crappy and Tribble) Heeheehee:worried:

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I plead the 6th!!! :worried:

8. Charmy

Charmy What's a Dremel?

:nono: I find you guilty......... of brilliant ideas :idea::lol:

9. Charmy

Charmy What's a Dremel?

Ahhhh sweetie, nice try :hehe::p:hehe:
    The new rads are awesome so no need to hide...... This time :eyebrow::hehe:

Asouter likes this.
  10. The_Crapman

:blush: My 'brilliant ideas' normally get me into trouble (or a trip to A&E), let alone anyone else! lol

11. Asouter

Asouter --------

Update 8/2/12

The new Rads have turned up , mannnnn are they nice. They're reflecting lots of light and the black hole that was sucking in all the light kicking and screaming has been solved, Thanks Crappy

How nice are these ?
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of one inside a tower, It looks so much better than the old black ones
    [​IMG]

As for progress with the rest of the buld, I've had a delivery of more acrylic and I've spent the last 3 days cutting and drilling, That's the easy bit I still have the large holes for the reservoirs to cut and then...yup you guessed it the sanding job from hell, Check out the piles and piles of finishing left to do.....
    [​IMG]

That's all for now, progress will slow down a little but the project is still very much alive
    STAY FROODIE :cooldude:

Tribble likes this.
  12. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Holy moly! Those are some saweeeeeet rads! Never seen anything like that before! :thumb:

13. Asouter

Asouter --------

:D Saweeeeeeet!!!! Yup that's the word I was looking for. Describes them perfectly

14. The_Crapman

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:
    Mate...... they were made for this build. a tear just came across my eye. :waah:
    i might just have to do my watercooled P180 rig first now instead of the lancool aircooled one now! :naughty:
    on the plus side i found out i got a job in QA for a games developer :D, so will have more money for the build. I'm gonna need it! :worried:

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

Yup a brilliant find indeed, QA for games Saweeeeet. (making use of word for the day, I'll be driving everyone nuts at work)

16. peteski

peteski long live the pc

man that rad looks sweet :jawdrop:
    :rock: :rock: :rock:

17. The_Crapman

Ha ha, love it! i think i have a 2010 word a day calender about somewhere i never used. that would be a good wind-up to confuse someone about what day it is. :naughty:

I'm going a completely different route to what i was going to. but it's gonna be slow! :brrr:

18. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Going strong dude ! I feel a MOTM nomination coming up !
    Those rad's are off the charts indeed !

19. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks Peteski :rock:

Jump in and start, These projects take on a life of their own and apart from the odd problem to solve the rest is just about perseverance

Cheers Asphiax, a MOTM nomination now that would really be something, but I have a long way to go yet. Congrats on your nomination (yes you did get my vote) there's some really cool builds

20. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 11/02/12

UPDATE 11th Feb

Progress has been a little faster than I'd originally expected, I've started using a different acrylic supplier and the acrylic seems a bit easier to work with/ either that or I'm getting easier to work with ??

Anyway lets get on with the update
    The first new pic shows how D33P THOUGHT is slowly rising from the base up, I've slotted in some struts on the front to give me a better idea of where my drive bays are going to be sited

[​IMG]

This view is from the inside looking out, The rear reservoir towers are starting to climb upward and also you get a better idea of how the side panels will be constructed.

[​IMG]

Something odd happened when I was polishing some of the acrylic blocks, I'd started doing them in groups rather than individually. I test fit them before polishing and found that the frosted edges give the whole build a different "feel" (look at the next pic to see what I'm rather clumsily trying to explain)

[​IMG]

The frosted edges are giving the whole shape more definition, some of the polished edges just kinda blend into each other, I'm giving some serious consideration into doing the whole build with frosted edges/ at the very least it will have a combination of both. Your thoughts please ?