1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Diablo 3 director defends always-online DRM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Aug 2011.

1. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

...with rainbows. Don't forget the rainbows :p

2. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

So, the only rights a player has is that of being able to play the game once you've paid for it.

I agree.

Let's say, then, that your Internet connection drops for a few minutes, hours or days - through circumstances beyond your control.

Would you say that you, the consumer, no longer has the "right" to play the game?

Of course not....like you said yourself, above.

</case>

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I guess they dont realize that 56% of americans either have no internet or are stuck on Dial up so an always online is simply not an option for them...

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

The real issue is that everyone who pirates the game will be able to play it no matter what. Just like when the Ubisoft servers went down. All the paying customers got burned. All the freeloaders played on like usual. Or the EA restriction on installs...pirated versions had no limitations.

This sort of DRM will kill the industry. People will always go for choice over restrictions. If they can stick it to the man in the process, so much the better. How stupid are these companys? I'm no bright spark and I can see it plain as day. Are they really this retarded?

5. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

What a dick of a thing to say. I'm sick of the industry telling gamers what they want. Buy and support local people, Indie developers for the win.

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Talk about "lost sales" eh?

7. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I buy a lot of indies on steam ... and I'm always looking for the humble indie bundle (but not get them for free as some people do)

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Didn't read all the comments but here is how I look at it.
    From a business perspective. Support the masses. Can you think of a major city where people don't have access to internet?
    Ok how about some farm or war zone out in the middle of nowhere?
    Now who do I care more about??
    Its simple business. Lose a few customers, fine.
    No in game piracy, cheating, hacking etc will keep the masses happy. and that's what you want in the long run.

9. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Always-online DRM has nothing to do with in game piracy, cheating and hacking.

10. atlas

atlas What's a Dremel?

That is such a first world attitude, Just because the developer lives in the U.S. he believes everyone has fast internet now. Blizzard has fans all over the world. I for one have bought many blizzard games including diablo and diablo 2, but my internet is not very reliable and many people in areas with low coverage use 3G, which is not particularly stable. So having an always on requirement when you could just have offline characters like Diablo 2 is just stupid. It annoys me that blizzard tries to justify it by saying "right thing to do to making a better product" how will offline characters make it a worse product? all it does is give users a choice.

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Unfortunately, the publishers will continue to get away with this for as long as the consumers accept it. The idiots posting on here who selfishly don't care for anybody who doesn't have a perfect internet connection represent the majority of people, since most people in the world are selfish assholes, like them.

All you can do is vote with your wallet, and encourage your friends to do the same.

At least then you know you haven't contributed towards it.

12. Chriscogley

Chriscogley What's a Dremel?

it will effect there sales but it wont be such a big impact to matter as someone has already said people have been waiting years for this game to be released me being one of them but the who concept of there being no offline playabilty is just the most stupid thing ever as it then dismisses the whole crowd of people who just play the game for fun but as it is an online game only now there will be a massive community of people waiting to play it at all times all over the world
    but there is a distinct smell if bulls**t here as they think it is a good idea
    just my thoughts on the situation :)

13. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

If it smells like ******** (which it is)...then don't buy it.

I've been waiting for it for years too...but you know what...my principles are more important to me than a game. I'll put my money behind developers that give a **** about their customers and play games that are just as good, if not better (Torchlight 2 / Grim Dawn).

14. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Ok I might be a bit late on this but I just wanted to apologize for my dumbass comment earlier, I realize it was quite racist and ignorant but it wasn't the intention.

Again, sincere apologies, we don't need any of that and I don't even know what got over me. I guess I'm just excited about it and it blinded me because none of the issues people are complianing about affect me, but it doesn't mean they're not issues and I understand for some it's a game breaker. Won't happen again.

Fizzban likes this.
  15. avddreamr

avddreamr What's a Dremel?

Well there is the obvious thing to do, buy it... wait a week, download crack.
    However, then you probably won't be able to play on battlenet, even though you paid for it.

16. avddreamr

avddreamr What's a Dremel?

Wow, just ordered grim dawn!! thank you.

17. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Welcome!

18. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I knew that I'd forgotten something .... watchinggrim dawn video : )

19. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

20. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

"I think we’re probably unique just in the sense that, while most studios are redesigning their games to be more casual-player friendly, we’re busy making Grim Dawn more complex and probably casual-player hostile."

Hurrah!

Tags: Add Tags