1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DirectX creator defends PC gaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I would have guessed that is exactly what the CEO of Wildtangent looked like. Spyware bitch merchant.
    But he's the slag who created DirectX as well???? .....We are all doomed. :(

I think we all can agree that console gaming and PC gaming are probably going to meet in the middle. At least that's probably what Microsoft are trying to direct things towards.

3. maha_x

maha_x What's a Dremel?

I dont think Sweeney was saying consoles were more powerful. He was saying that the lowest end hardware is ways better on consoles as its all the same. On PCs 70% are sold with intel's integrated chips. So on consoles, 100% of the customers have good hardware where on PC only 30% have anykind of dedicated graphics.

4. Indybird

Indybird Why are you reading this?

No comments on the specifics (Because I could go on for an hour), but Im just hoping and praying that PC gaming always stays on top above the consoles or near the top with the consoles.

-Indybird

5. MicTow

MicTow What's a Dremel?

Hardcore Gamers will always be on the PC.

When you buy a console, your buying into something that will guaranteed be outmoded within 3-5 years. With a PC, your constantly configuring it, changing it, updating it with the newest coolest stuff. Is it costly and time consuming? Sure. But you either love it or give up the title.

Same thing with cars, motorcycles, etc. If your a generic gamer, buy a wii or an xbox. If you have to be cool, buy an expensive car(s) like a WRX or something like that.

Or, you can be really cool, get a decent sports car, and upgrade and mod the hell out of it. Otherwise, go buy a ford or a honda, knowing you'll end up being part of whatever latest fad that you'll end up throwing away in a relatively short period of time.

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

It doesn't matter where the gamers are, it matters where the developers are. They're going to move more and more towards The largest install base. This is not about making games fort the consoles OR the PC, this is about making games you can sell on the consoles AND on PC. The PC market is too small and too difficult to be worth the effort on it's own, and so I think more and more you're going to see games released across all platforms and the limiting factor will be the state of console hardware.

7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I read this guy's column for CPU magazine every month. :-D

I don't really like his comparison.. Most pre-orders that I have seen actually cost less than the actual game, and you usually get a t-shirt or something.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It's not the software, it's the hardware, most people will go into PC world, get sold a PC and the graphics won't play the latest games anywhere near what is advertised, customer gets dissapointed, looks at consoles, where adverts match reality.

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

the best selling game of all time (the sims franchise) and the highest profitable game of all time (World of Warcraft) both started as pc exclusives and I honestly doubt WoW could work on consoles. I don't know why people says Pc gaming is dying when WoW has several million subscribers, more than the user base of some consoles

10. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

As long as MMORPGs continue to rabidly flourish, PC gaming can't die. It might just reshape itself into a highly undesirable online gaming (MMO) alternative to game consoles, but that doesn't signify obsoletion.

And wasn't this St. John guy from ATi Technologies?

11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think the problem is in how we define "PC gaming". In the most general sense of the term, you're right, it isn't going anywhere. The issue comes up as a lot of people here think of PC gaming as AAA, bleeding edge, PC-exclusive titles like Crysis. I believe that thses are an endangered species which will soon become extinct as developers move to a pan-platform model where games are made to play across the PC and le multiplke consoles to maximize revenue. In this situation the hardware requirements are driven by the lowers common denominator, which is still better than integrated graphics!

12. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Beast from the North

I think handhelds definatly have a HUGE future. I don't know about you guys, but I would go crazy with my daily dose of hunting monsters on my PSP while on the bus. With things like the PSP Slim being small enough to fit in a pocket, but with enough power to run pretty decent looking games, I think that's where the market is headed.

13. ezjohny

ezjohny What's a Dremel?

I want to know, when is directX going to hit movie material, why i say that, I like tobe playing a game like i was at the movies, When I'm on my pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    P.S
    That would really be awesome!!!

14. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

2 year old bump....

Tags: Add Tags