1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films District 9

Discussion in 'General' started by will., 5 Sep 2009.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I've just seen it, it's great. Go watch it!

In more detail, no spoilers:

A thought provoking film. It's not particularly original thoughts that are being provoked, but it's being done in a very original way. Once again, I'd only seen a very brief clip of one trailer (all part of my efforts to avoid trailers for films I've heard are looking good) so I wasn't sure what to expect.

The beginning of the film is all done in a documentary style. This does continue through the whole film, but it's most prominent at the start while all the characters and stories are being introduced. The main guy (who has only done one prior bit of acting!) is brilliant. He's obviously meant to get on your nerves and be an insensitive tit, which makes the film so much better as it draws to a close.

For me, this is the first time that aliens have been so up close and personal in a film. I'm sure there are others that have done it before, but for me it was a really refreshing experience to have an alien race not trying to destroy us.

The film starts strongly, there is a bit in the middle where I glanced at my watch - a sign that I'm getting bored - but it quickly redeemed itself! The ending is epic! You know what you want to happen, but there is real battle, it twists and turns several times, I wont spoil it, but it's not quite what I was expecting.

Also, as an added nerd bonus, I swear there were some references to Half Life in there! Watch out for the killer pig!

Well worth £6!

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

two disctrict 9 threads one above the other with no reply... :D

(my post won't make sens once the threads are merged)

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

glad to hear it was so good - going to watch it tonight.

apartheid was the one thing that struck me when i saw the trailer.

4. will.

Yea, it's never said out loud in the film (that I noticed) but that is pretty much the theme in a way.

5. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I saw it last night and was very impressed. I really enjoyed it. I was sceptical about it going in but was just blown away. We'll worth the £4.90 (There are times I do love being a student :p )

6. will.

There are times I love having a student brother who can nab unused student cards :p

7. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I already posted a thread about this but it seems like I have been ignored :(

I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was really entertaining
    but frustrating at times as the lead charector was such a doofus at times

Spoilers:

The main dude was such an idiot and a pansy - I think that was the point of it sure but it was bordering on stupid at times and frustrating. I was screaming at him thinking WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU IDIOT! when he kept trying to phone his wife - of course they will triangulate your signal with your phone, you worked for them you should know that! not once but twice!

Not to mention he wacked christopher johnson just when they had the chance to escape initially - I mean i was like "Why? now what you going to do?" he got his ass shot down thats what....frustrating moments but really really enjoyable.

I liked chris johnson and his cute alien son - he was adorable...for an alien!

8. technologyslice

technologyslice What's a Dremel?

The trailer for it looked pretty good.

9. will.

By the look of the time difference, we were writing our posts at the same time :p

Yea, the guy was a bit of a tit, but he was meant to be, and yea, he was an idiot with the phone, but most normal people don't actually know anything about triangulation. You do because you are a nerd.

10. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Seen it, loved it, will probably see it again and look forward to the DVD/ Blu Ray release.

Yep, I spotted the HL2 nod with the pig carcass.

I think the thing I really ejoyed the most was that it didn't feel like a Hollywood film at all, it was a refreshing change that the lead character was such a **** and that it had a good ending. I thought the prawns were very well done, I seem to recall seeing somewhere that they were all CGI and when you consider how well they interact with the characters and scenery I think the film makers did a terrific job for such a low budget.

If you'd like to see a slightly different take on a sci-fi film I can't recommend this one enough.

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I was impressed by the end. I remember watching the start and wondering if the entire movie was going to be boring.
    But by the end I was totally drawn in.
    Really well done.

12. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

One of the most impressive films I have seen in a long time, especially for the budget it was done on with some of the most natural integration of CGI I have ever seen.

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Just come back from seeing it and I agree, the CGI was well done, I don't usually like it in films too much but they did it well in this.

14. julianmartin

Well that was pretty friggin ace - I was absolutely glued to it at the end. What a brilliant movie.

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Awesome movie.

16. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Has left it completely open for a new film though, which is good I think due to how awesome the film was. The film was totally different from what I thought it was going to be though from the trailers.

17. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Superb Film, with simply jaw dropping special effects. The first film where I totally accepted a CG character as an actor and not a CG construct.

18. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

Sounds good might go see it friday, is it a really manly film (ie lots of shooting and blood)?

19. julianmartin

It's not over the top - there's plenty of substance to the story.

20. Pieface

Pieface Modder

It is very gory though.