1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dragon's Dogma Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 14 Dec 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

describing the character creator in something other than a superhero game is never a good start.
    Also, I can accept a lot of magical BS, but surviving having your heart ripped out does seem a bit too much. (Hell I'd even buy having it removed during magical experiments, but not just ripped out mid-fight)

It's also a terrible, terrible name.

Is this planned on being a full blown, full price release or a download title? As I could see it doing ok as a £10-£15 downloadable game, however at full price it's just going to get compared to skyrim...and fail.

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

This is going to sound harsh but...

With a couple of alterations that sums up the game "previews" the site has been posting lately. They read like your commenting on a youtube video clip.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I can kind of see where you're coming from with that and obviously we'd have liked to have gone hands-on ourselves for a number of hours (well, maybe not liked), but as it was that wasn't possible. I'm also not sure what other previews you're referring to, but I can assure you that it's very rare for us to write previews on such limited amounts of time. On the occasions when it has happened, such as here, we always try to be clear about it.

At the same time, it's important to remember that this was more than a YouTube video - it was a demonstration by a developer given for preview purposes at a closed event hosted by Capcom. It's not a trailer which is being thrown out to baying masses; it is a probably rehearsed demonstration put out by the publisher and developer for the express purpose of having previews written about it.

In showcasing the game in this way, Capcom is showing that it believes the demo to be in some ways representative of the game and believes that initial impressions can be taken from it. Since it's their product, at this point we can only take them at their word.

As commentators on the industry, I feel we're justified in sharing even the earliest of impressions as long as they are fact-checked, entertaining/valuable and as long as we don't mislead you on anything - including the amount of what we've seen and any previous bias.

And don't worry about sounding harsh - I'm more than willing to discuss some of the technical and philosophical points of journalism. If you want to follow this up by email or PM, feel free.

5. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

I thought the preview was fair enough, and nice reply from Joe to the comment above :)

Unfortunately, I have come to expect certain things from Capcom and other Japanese game companies. This seems to continue the trend...

6. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

lol@capcom.jp

I doubt even the moronic console-playing masses are going to lap this s**t up at £50 a pop when Skyrim is already being sold at half-price and, judging by this preview, is a vastly superior game.

Then again....

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The trailers are available to freely download through PSN, one at least from a few weeks ago.

I thought it looked quite good, a bit 'Dark Souls'-ish perhaps but with a more light-hearted palette.

8. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

lol, when did Capcom last make a decent game?!

9. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

There is nothing about this that even remotely resembles an RPG. Are there even stats, or anything but the most basic of character development? Combat seems more weighted towards action and strategy (use of your minions) than anything else. I'm getting a sense of "Devil May Cry + Overlord" from everything I see of it, nothing even remotely RPG-like.

Then again, these days "RPG" mostly just means "you can pick how big your character's boobs are" and "you can level up inconsequential stats that have no effect on gameplay" so I'm not surprised this is how it's being marketed.

Also:

ENOUGH

WITH THE ****ING DRAGONS

I AM TIRED OF DRAGONS

DRAGONS ARE NEVER WELL IMPLEMENTED IN ANY GAME EXCEPT FOR MAYBE DIVINITY II

JUST LIKE STAR WARS IS MARKETED AS BEING ABOUT LIGHTSABRE BATTLES AND THE PUSH TOWARDS MAKING THE MOVIES 3-HOUR ACTION SCENES WITH LIGHTSABRES GODDAMN EVERYWHERE BY AND LARGE IS WHAT RUINED THEM, THE INCLUSION OF DRAGONS IS A NOT-SO-CLEVER PLOY TO TAKE THE MOST HEAVILY MARKETABLE ASPECT OF FANTASY AS A GENRE AND SELL IT TO THE WIDEST POSSIBLE AUDIENCE, BUT ULTIMATELY JUST GETS ****ING TIRESOME AND RUINS WHAT COULD OTHERWISE BE INTERESTING UNIVERSES

DRAGONS ARE ****ING HUGE POWERFUL MONSTERS WHO LOOK AT MORTALS LIKE ANTS, I SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO KILL THEM BECAUSE SOME DESIGNER THINKS I NEED MY EGO STROKED BY AN UNCHALLENGING QUICK TIME EVENT BOSS BATTLE

Sorry, just needed to get that out.

10. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

sears, not sure what fantasy you've been reading, but all the fairytales and fantasy stories I can think of, the dragon ends up dead.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yep it always gets the wrong end of a sword.. it will fry a choobie here and there but there's always that one red headed guy who will roid rage in the story and manage to best it- with tricks usually

12. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Allow me to point you towards the Earthsea Quartet.

13. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

In a couple of previews of this game I read a while ago, it was stated that this wasn't going to be an RPG at all.

If this preview is on the money as far as the release code goes, then I think they should've stuck with the original concept.

14. logonui

logonui Minimodder

I think I might wait until I see a full review before I part with my money. Having said that I'll definately keep my eye on this one.

Hopefully they won't completely balls it up like so many others have with RPG's in the past.

15. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

Or a few trilogys from robin hobb

16. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Love those graphics.

17. Phaedros

Phaedros What's a Dremel?

Man you guys are dumb, i'm sorry. This "journalist" is a prime example of what is wrong wit video game journalism. For people who like Monster Hunter, this game sounds amazing. I mean this guy witnesses an epic battle and says the game must be terrible? I guess he wants everything handed to him on a silver platter. Has he ever played Shadow of the Colossus?

18. Phaedros

19. Phaedros

Tags: Add Tags