1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Dremal?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Omnituens, 5 Oct 2006.

1. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Can anyone recommend a DECENT tool that is Dremal-ish? a few people have said that the dremal is somewhat unreliable.

I needs to be fairly compact, with the ability to cut and drill. cost? up to £30, but willing to spend more IF it is worth it in the long run/

Any input would be appricated!

2. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

A Dremel.

3. cire9753

cire9753 What's a Dremel?

get a black and decker clone dremel
    its lik 30USD

4. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

Go to the huge B&Q Warehouse in Stockport, they will have a fairly large selection and I think there are some prety nifty dremEls for around £50 including a lithium-ion one so there is no need for annoying wires getting in the way of your cutting.

5. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I dare say an official dremel is nothing like unreliable. I have had mine for about 5 years now I think it is. Never replaced the brushes. Cord has not frayed or anything. Spend the few more to get the real deal. In the end you will be happy you did. Skimp out now and you will pay more for it later with a replacement.

Plus dremel's have many nifty attachements such as the flexshaft, and the router assembly. There is even a flash light attachement which will light up your project when the dremel is spinning. :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

6. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

The dremel?
    BTW the 220 work station comes in realy handy.
    Dremel estimate tha t evey 50 hrs of working, the brushes need replacing

7. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

pishposh, silly recomendations to get me to spend undue money. I took the brushes out and looked at them, still plenty fine. Just oiled it not long ago. Perfect working order

Recomendations, warranties, specifications.... who needs those

8. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Get a jigsaw instead. Dremels are only good for detailing work. For work outside of that usage they'll just be a huge waste of money. Especially if you're working with metal.

9. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

its for small jobs, mostly with plastic

10. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

As I said, go to the B&Q Warehouse in Stockput

11. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

yes.. i agree with captain slug, ever since i started modding, i have only used the dremel a couple times, other than for deatail work, the dremel is highly inacurate, weak, and heats up way to fast. I dont doubt it is a good tool, but i do doubt you will be using it for precision drilling and sawing

12. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

That's pretty much what I did, except it wasn't Black&Decker. Just so much cheaper to just buy another standard Rotary Tool instead of an actual Dremel - they do the same stuff anyway!

13. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Rotary tools and plastics don't mix all that well either. THE best tool for working with plastics is a combination of a scrollsaw, a set of files, and some X-acto knives. What I can try to do, but usually screw up, with a dremel I can do easily and more safely with other tools.

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i hate dremel's for doing any work with any materail. plastic melts or explodes, steel burns the disc's out, aluminium will just mess up the disc's, and its a really annoying sound!

but hey got to own one! build up a kit like slug said. plus you feel better working by hand rather than by evil electrical tools.

15. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

I've found a Dremel handy to have, though I've hardly used mine - mainly cutting steel bolts down and a few cutouts in some stainless steel plate when I was desperate (and 30 cutting disks later lol!).

For windows/openings I'd rather a jigsaw (and of late, I've been using a milling machine). But yeah, they do seem to come in handy for odd little detail jobs - and versatile too: cut, grind, polish, engrave, etc all with one tool is handy. Kind of a modder icon; but I find them an awkward tool in most cases, when there are usually better alternatives available for whatever specific job you want to do. :dremel: