1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Dual Loop CM Stacker est. 2009 - update: 13th April '13

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ry@n, 4 Jul 2009.

1. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

noooo way lol I love the brushed alu exterior :) Ok cheers mate, let me know when you find a cheap block and pump so we can set up your WC :rock:

I cant actually remember, its the same bottle of Feser I used in my last build so I've had it over a year now. I will have a look on the bottle itself later, it should say on there.

2. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I think I remember it being acid green.

3. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Nice setup, the color scheme is eye catching. Watercooling is outside of my want and know-how.

4. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Tiny update

[​IMG]
    I didn't want to take any chances this time and run out of cable sleeving or heatshrink :D

[​IMG]
    These work really well at making the case fans silent without affecting airflow too much, although after shutdown they make the fans squeal (they are powered for a few minutes after shutdown as they connected to my Be Quiet PSU)

[​IMG]
    Akasa extension cables

[​IMG]
    Akasa fail quite badly at cable sleeving :jawdrop: luckily this will be cut off and sleeved MurderMod style :p

[​IMG]
    Spent 4 hours sleeving all of the cables today, I didn't bother taking any pics so I will take some later this week.

[​IMG]
    Once I sleeve the 24 and 8 pin power cables and do something with the two 6pin graphics card cables all of the internal cabling will be hidden :thumb: My camera doesn't cope well with indoor lighting so when it stops raining I will take some outdoor pics. I have also sleeved all of the white cathode wires and fitted an addtional 2x 30cm UV cathodes which has made the watercooling look even better (although the pics don't do it justice).

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Now that's a lot of cable sleeve, I am gonna have to place an order like that for my next mod lol.

6. Richh999

Richh999 Small Time Modder

I love the colour of your green coolent.. I can't wait to see the rig with the second loop as well.. I'm using the same colour scheme however my green dye is pretty crap ( and so I may get you acid green dye..

Another thing I was wondering was whether the gigabyte motherboard showed up alot as it is blue as I have found quite a cheap deal with one but I don't want it to stand out.. Ideally I would like ate all black evga x58 LE..
    Thanks

7. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

@ ry@n

If you had used the edit button to just add the pics to the first post i would have given you Rep :D :p

8. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Its a excellent board in all areas but it does show up quite, especially all of LEDs and the red debug panel and when you overclock theres a line of blue LEDs that light up in the corner which are quite bright.

I thought I was a mod earlier haha, I may add some final pics just for you ;)

9. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Delete pretty please

10. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

Only joking dude :)

It looks really nice.

I dare say if you added up all the money spent you would have a shock. :eeek:

11. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Cables!

[​IMG]

It's still raining, I wanted to take some outdoor pics but nevermind. Today I used loads of cable ties and cable hooks and managed to hide all of the cables behind the motherboard tray and the side panel still fits! I will be re-visiting this area later though as I still have some cable sleeving to do and I want to make it look tidier (even though it wont be seen!).

To do:

1. Decrease vibration on both pump mounts
    2. Finish cable sleeving/ cable management
    3. Finish the second loop, need a GTX 285 block
    4. Mount the slot loading DVD drive above the fan controller

After that it will actually be finished :rock As I said this rig is to last me through uni but if I have some spare cash I may buy a set of EK motherboard blocks for it aswell as a nice shiny SSD when they become more affordable.

Stuartwood89 has agreed to take some decent pics for me at our next LAN party which is coming up.

12. Sni9er

Sni9er Ermmmm 42 ???

i like it, i have the same moderate mess behind my motherboard atm lol, but its all good will be out of sight out of mind soon enough hehe

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Looks good, very nice work! :thumb:

14. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Update after almost 4 years

To cut a long story short, after I finished this build in 2009 it was used as a work horse while I was at uni and never received any care or maintenance. I lost interest in the computer scene (I think doing a Networking degree put me off a bit :p) and I haven't upgraded my computer at all since building it apart from adding a £20 second graphics card to enable me to run 4 monitors.

[​IMG]
    At a glance the inside of the Stacker didn't look too bad as I occasionally wiped over the watercooling hoses with alcohol wipes.

On further inspection after removing the external panels its rather worse for ware:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan is to rebuild the Stacker and give it a few new touches to give it a fresh new look. The coolant hasn't been flushed in almost four years so the w/c parts are going to need a thorough clean at least, after doing a bit of research i've decided to steer away from using Feser One and use distilled water with a dye bomb. I won't be doing any hardware upgrades at all, simply because the machine is ample for my needs - watching films, browsing and occasionally gaming.

Im on a veeery tight budget with this revamp but the plan is to add a second watercooling loop to cool solely the graphics card, make a custom switch panel as the power button is a bit temperamental and no longer illuminates. Im also going to touch up any chipped paint on the chassis and possibly respray the outside of the case but im not decided on that yet. Im also going to rip out all of the UV lighting and replace with a couple of subtle white cathodes (to people still used cathodes? haha)

Parts I already have from over the years:

Black ice 240mm rad
    DDC 18w pump + clear top and bracket
    150mm tube res
    fittings
    tubing
    plenty of fans, sleeving, heatstrink, screws etc
    2 x green Lamptron vandal resistant switches

So as it stands the only parts I need to acquire are:

A cheap GPU block to fit my aging GTX295
    some spray paint
    dye bombs - 2 colours
    white cathodes

I have no time limit for this revamp as its really just something to do using parts I already had lying around. The loop is long overdue a flush anyway and im hoping the 4 years of Feser abuse hasn't caused any internal damage.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions I would love to hear them as like I said, I've been away for a few years so there is definitely a gap in my knowledge. Thanks :thumb:

15. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Please also do decent cable sleeving and perhaps add one or two dustfilters? ;)

Good luck in the V2 of this project.

16. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

The last picture IS a dust filter believe it or not :eeek:

Cheers :thumb:

17. stuartwood89

Yes! Glad to see this back up and running :D

18. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Mini update

[​IMG]
    The standard front panel is very plasticy and doesn't do justice to the rest of the case which is build like a Volvo. As I've mentioned the power button needs replacing anyway and the two USBs were never connected as there are another two sat underneath this panel.

[​IMG]
    I made a replacement panel from 1mm aluminium I had lying around. Im actually going to attach this to the original panel for ease of fixing.

[​IMG]
    A nice blank canvas to work with.

[​IMG]
    A very crude mock up in photoshop of what im thinking at the moment. A vandal resistant power and reset buttons (as I already have these) and two fill ports for the cooling loops. Im still not sure about this layout, any suggestions?

Im also going to re-cut a new panel as it could fit better along the right hand side and things like that bug me.

19. stuartwood89

I think it looks OK, the fill ports are a bit big but I like the symmetry. Perhaps a mesh cover or something.

Edit:: Or just leave it blank and use it to hold drinks.

20. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Im not sure if my mock up is to scale, I think the fill ports are a bit smaller in reality. I might steal your idea and incorporate a key swtch, just to fill the gap in the middle.