1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dyn confirms Mirai behind Friday's DDoS attack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Oct 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Another win for the Insecurity of Things.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm against the 'internet of things' since I believe that you should only connect to the internet with something that actually 'needs' it. This only strengthens my argument and resolve, frankly. Why the hell does my fridge need to be online anyway?

Last edited: 24 Oct 2016
  4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

In theory IoT is probably a good idea, but these things shouldn't be internet facing directly. Instead it should interface to a home server which interfaces to you. The home server would validate the traffic, so that your thermostat doesn't start sending queries to a DNS server for example. They would basically become firewalled devices.

Having isolated devices only exchanging information related to their function and only to a single server the user controls is not as profitable as having a slap dash device with little or no security development or life time security updates, exchanging all of your behavioural patterns to a cloud server the vendor controls. So we end up with Cluster **** of Things instead. I don't think that a secure IoT implementation is compatible with modern technology related business practices