1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: PC gaming is wrongly categorised

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 May 2008.

1. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I'd be all for digital distribution if I didn't have a 25GB a month cap (reduced to 64kbps after hitting said cap) on my broadband (which has now gone down to 6GB for new customers with my ISP for the same damn price). I'll be all for everything digital if and when I find an ISP in NZ that has unlimited downloads and doesn't cost my left nut to sign up to/stay connected with, cause I always hit my cap even though my harddrives have been full up for months(~15GB free space left).

2. banshee256

banshee256 What's a Dremel?

It seems that every company is hell-bent on having some form of program running in the background on my computer. HP likes their printer software, Apple and Logitech wants various update-programs running, Nokia has their PCSuite. Then there's anti-virus programs, firewalls and other security software that you 'need' to run, because someone wants to break into your computer and steal all your pictures of your horse!

If all these companies had it their way, I would not have any space left on the taskbar, because of all these background programs, that also steal resources that I need for gaming.

And now you want me to have yet another program running? Or 2? Or one for each developer? No thank you. Give me a box and a DVD. They may take up space on the shelf, but at least they don't have to run constantly on my computer.

3. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

Yea DD programs definitely need to keep their resource footprint to a minimum. I definitely think this is sense coming from EA. If you are sensible you do not need to base your game around "who sunk the most money into" because money could be used to buy non competitive things. Flashy skins, faster mounts, and other fringe benefits that aren't going to directly give you a combat advantage. If companies switch on to this way of doing things and the massive costs it can save (think of the production costs for 1,000,000 a game boxes!) PC gaming can remain viable and even profitable for much time to come.

PS. To all you fags that moan about the cost of a gaming rig, go die, play older games or get a console. So long as the market place can remain competitive (COME ON AMD!) you will get what you pay for. S and D, go learn it!

Tags: Add Tags