1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA promises no season pass, lootboxes for Battlefield V

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 24 May 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Hopefully this came about because the guys at DICE finally put their foot down with EA and demanded an end to the incessant cash grab that EA are doing so much damage to this industry with.

The people at DICE are old school PC gamers and even they must have felt uncomfortable with what they were being asked to do.

The failure of Stars Wars Battlefront might have given them the ammunition they needed to face down EA management.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I don't believe a word of that.

Well, actually I do, but only because it sounds like they intend to implement some variation on the free-to-wait model. Or everything will be micro transaction based and cost an absolute bomb, or if the 'the scale' is so massive they've secretly built a MMO and it's going to need a subscription. Or the game won't contain any game at all.

This is Electronic Arts, if they give up on an anti consumer practice it's because they've found something worse that the rest of us couldn't even imagine.

#EDIT
    "In Battlefield 5, every player will be able to outfit and customize a number of different soldiers in their stable, referred to as the Company."

Bingo, they're going to make people buy player character slots and limit the number or type of loadouts each one can have. That's my prediction at least. Their press release guff about having 'multiple versions of the same weapon' per character fills me with dread too, instead of altering loadouts between spawns it sounds awfully like you will need to unlock rifle #1 multiple times to outfit it differently, or no doubt spend £2.50 to get another slot straight away.

Last edited: 24 May 2018
  4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I could see them charging for additional character slots but I can't see the characters being limited other than cosmetically. I'd still expect you to go in with 'stock character #1' and switch from support/assault/recon/engie roles in game and swap your loadout.

Same with multiple versions of the weapon, I'd imagine each weapon can have a skin applied to it, possibly the skin could be moved around like an attachment so you'd need to remove in from one gun and place it on another but you can't just change every version of the gun now that the skin in unlocked. Or they could be gits and say after you use a skin you've lost it, if you change the skin back you have to re-buy the skin/acquire it again.

I agree, though this could be the olive branch game to win back some good publicity before they resume shafting us. On the plus side, ammo hasn't become a microtransaction..... yet......

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I watched the launch. They said you wouldn't be able to pay to upgrade your character, you have to play your way and put the time in.

6. iggy

iggy Minimodder

Will believe that when I see it.

RedFlames likes this.
  7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Too little too late?

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

They will screw us some other way no doubt, I mean the game is still £69.99

In the long run seeing as I have played BF1 for 900 odd hours the bang per buck is pretty good and cant think of any other entertainment that can beat that price but its still a lot to shell out in one go.

Tags: Add Tags