1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: "Singleplayer is no longer the future"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Shame that every one else is going out of there way to gimp multi player games.

3. Deact

Deact What's a Dremel?

Sometimes peoples' power of observation truly astounds me....

But here's to hoping that it goes in the right direction for the PC market.

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

I don't play online games, and don't WANT to play online games.

No more singleplayer, means no more games for me.
    Not from EA anyway....

5. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Idiotic comment from the mouth of EA, different games suit different features, although since a few of the other companies seem so determined to kill proper multiplayer gaming on the PC perhaps this is a time for EA to come up with some innovative multiplayer games to the market.

6. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i'd hate to see fifa multiplayer only, 21 other players slide tackling the one player with the ball. itd be a nightmare

7. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Good move on EA's part if you ask me. Multiplayer is where its at. Once you played a SP game it goes on the shelf and gather dust. MP carrys on for ages.

I still sometime play Medal of Honor Allied Assault!

IW are currently shooting themselves in the foot and I hope it hurts them as I have utter contempt and hate for them at teh moment.

8. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

I love MP games but sometimes they are ruined by... well... people. I probably spend an equal amount of my time getting stuck into well crafted single player experiences and I think my best gaming memories were found there.

9. markwalker84

markwalker84 What's a Dremel?

I like games that have a story i can get engrossed in.

You simply dont get that with Multiplayer.

10. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Multiplayer is more important than single player to me these days. I just think that most development time on single player games is spent on a few set pieces so you end up with a game that lasts 6 hours tops. Either that or you get a repetitive generic first person shooter. Spent most of the last few years gaming on Day of Defeat, Day of Defeat Source, COD 4 multiplayer and now Shattered Horizon.

11. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

12. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I think that is very disappointing to hear that a developer thinks that single player games are on their way out. Developing multiplayer games is so lazy compared to single player so there its of no surprise thats what they want to do.

I like to play through games that have a strong story that makes you want to play on, much like a good book. Multiplayer gaming is just so repetitve and boring, offering no motivation to continue to play other than to achieve a better score.

13. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Oh well. I don't buy EA games much anyway :)

14. xrain

xrain Minimodder

The general attitude in the games industry always seems to be, well it works here so it must be good for everything!

Multiplayer is quite nice, and I do spend a lot of time on it, but there are plenty of times where I just want to get away from all the hassles of multiplayer, and have a good story told to me. The single-player story in C&C Renegade was quite crappy to put it nicely. But I still find myself firing it up now and then.

15. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I think EA has smoked way too much crack with their profits.

16. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

That theory only runs true on certain types of game, and without player personality profiling (which nobody does, we can only do this ourselves with clans), the ability to game with people who want to get the same thing from the game is severely limited.

I still haven't figured out how to get an online game in GTA4, there's enough gameplay in it offline and frankly as the nature of the game is as a sole operator (note it's a highly successful game too) the notion of the future being in multiplayer is largely nonsense. I even frequently play guildwars which by definition is a multiplayer game, doing the missions solo. EA have never been at the forefront of games development or publishing, even in the early days of gaming they were all about the franchises & character tie-ins. Still, you can't fault their marketing division, they seem to be able to get the sales figures in.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2009
  17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

as long as Games for Windows Live is not part of EA's future, im fine with whatever.

18. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

QFT.... But from a 'business' view point MP is officially where it's at. The publisher/dev has a far greater control over the product and IP. They can mitigate profit loss from piracy and second hand sales and maximise DLC, in-game advertising, subs, micro-transactions, which all add revenue beyond the initial selling point.

I know it's naive to think that games should be produced without thinking about profit... but it doesn't stop me thinking how good those games could be.

19. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I don't know about deathmatch style mp games, but for me co-op is where it's at. Increasingly I'm looking out for more games with co-op options, ones with a good storyline or team tactics.

20. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

These sum up my thoughts.

MMO's don't count - I don't wish to feel pressured into playing a game because I'm paying a monthly fee simply to be able to play at all.

Tags: Add Tags