1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EE to double 4G speeds in 10 cities by summer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 9 Apr 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am not touching 4G till they drop the prices of the tariffs and increase the data allowance.

I use my data allowance now more than I have before because I have my phone connected to the stereo on my car and stream DI.FM, and on a 4G plan I would use my allowance up in about a week compared to a month on the 3G network when looking, at a tariff with the same data allowance but the cost of the 4G is around £10 per month more.

Maybe in a year or two the prices and data allowances will be better for me to think about using it, but at the moment it's not worth it for me.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Speeds seem great and all (if you can get them), but unless you have lots of the green stuff you have to put up with silly low data caps rendering the downstream speeds somewhat arbitrary no?

Better for a laptop that sometimes needs connectivity on the go, but still quite expensive really.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'd be happy if I could get 3G occasionally.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

^ +1

I can't get 3G around here in any consistent way; I'd prefer they work on decent 3G coverage before they start touting 4G.

6. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Until they massively increase the Data caps, 4G is all but useless over a good 3G connection.

7. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

I think if I was to download using the full amount of bandwidth for around 60 minutes then I would have exhausted my allocated bandwidth cap.

With nothing greater than 8GB it is kind of useless at the moment.

Before I had an UNLIMITED tariff with Tmobile, those were the days!

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

They need to drop the prices and up the bundled data limit.

They also need to improve general 3G coverage first.. there are plenty of suburban black spots, let alone black holes in the countryside.

9. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Double the fun, double the cost, double the complete waste of money...

10. themassau

themassau What's a Dremel?

my adsl speed is slower than this top speed. and about the same as the average speed.
    (ps i live in Belgium and i have the fastest line of my provider for consumers)

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Also remember that if you are using EE you cannot use the 3G network so if the 4G ain't workin' you ain't getting **** boy.

12. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

As soon a you don't get 4g reception you revert back to 3g, so signal is always available.

You can get a 20gb package if you are willing to pay for it so lots of data I available if you want it.

4g isn't really aimed at power users that use 5gb+ a month at the moment. The proving isn't really sensible above the 1/3gb plans.

13. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Oh, I was told that EE wouldn't give you 3g by a member of staff in one of their stores!

14. rowin4kicks

No that's incorrect, if you are on EE you have access to the whole EE network so 2g,3g and 4g, whereas if you are on T-Mobile or Orange you only have access to the 2g & 3g networks on EE.

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

That would be commercial suicide, given how little of the country has 4G at the moment

16. rowin4kicks

At the moment only data travels over 4g on the EE plans, the calls and texts still go through on the 3g spectrum on the EE network.

17. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

4G on EE is pathetic. You get petty 2GB ish limits on something where you can download so quickly. Your not encouraging people at all unless they fork out even more. Its a monopoly that needs quashed. Hopefully when competition comes we can get high usage high speed for our mobile devices not feeling like were being punished financially to watch more than 5 HD videos from BBC iplayer whilst on the bus or train to work..... I do neither but you get my drift. Imagine streaming and hour long 720p clip and then finding out you got next to no bandwidth left to check your mail (who needs to just check emails and occasionally browse at 20mbps over the current 7~14 mbps in a city centre on 3G?

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Wow. These guys are having a larf, surely? The top tier tariff is for 20gb data per month for the princely sum of £76 a month. At the equivalent of what I pay now - £41 per month - I'd get 1gb. I p*ss more data than that; I get through a good 200-400mb a day with spotify alone.

Sure, Cardiff has 4G, but right now I'm quite happy on 3G with ~7-9mbps download and no data cap.

Tags: Add Tags