1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Eee Monitor is in the works

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

I'd be really tempted if it didn't look like it was designed by Fisher Price

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Now if that was a touch screen...

4. Risky

Risky Modder

Actually I can see that as being usefull for, say a kitchen PC where you just want a tidy terminal for the web or similar and maybe music/radio.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

remembers me a mac....

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Is that an RJ11?
    WTF is that for? I know what it's for I just want to know what it's doing on there...

Unless it's for an optional telephone attachment, so you can use the Thing as an IPphone terminal.

7. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

My guess is it's nothing more exciting than a modem connection. I guess some people still use dial-up, for some strange reason only known to them.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

They can't find the broadband train. Too busy waiting for google to load, y'see.

I agree with the Fisher Price sentiment.. Seriously, 'My first computer' is being screamed by that, er, thing.

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Yeah, good thinking, just a PC for general web browsing or watching videos/listening to music.

A touch screen would make it perfect for this though..

10. liratheal

Since some smart-ass shoe-horned a touch screen into the laptop, I'd be very surprised if one wasn't shoe-horned in here either by Asus or a third party.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

+1

Are you man or a mouse?!? If you don't like the look, mod it! :dremel:

Seriously, it's functional and cheap enough to mod to within an inch of its life. You could put it in a nice oak picture frame. You could mount it behind a one-way mirror. You could drop it in a coffee table. You could build one in the bottom of a breakfast tray: have breakfast in bed and surf the net. The possibilities are endless.

12. liratheal

I'm lazy :p I have one mod a month in me >.>

I'd be more interested if it gave me multi-touch control for RTS games, though.

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

everyone's gone crazeee

14. scarrmrcc

scarrmrcc What's a Dremel?

there are many places where you can't braodband (unless you want to pay out the nose)

my parents for instance, have dial up, becaseu they live far enough out in the boonies, that it would cost $1200 just to get a cable line run out there.....and satellite is just crazy expensive, for how little they use the internet.

Asus is not trying to sell this to hardcore gamers, or even thinking it could be fast or powerful.
    it is cheap, simple, and inexpensive. perfect for retired, fixed income people, or casual web surfers. people that it would be a waste to spend the money on even DSL.

you don't have to use the dial-up, but it is nice to have the option (i mean really, it probably added...what? a buck to the total price?)

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i hope they won't be sued by Apple.

16. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

All you people talking about the modem - it may have ADSL built in? Asus do make routers too...

17. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

this is an awesome idea, the only other small form factor( this small that is) is only in the mac flavor and Im sure this would be powerful enough for the people who will buy it. Would be great for airports etc who currently use lots of lcd's replace them with this and you could do alot more. It is kinda ugly though.... but so are most of its competition

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Looks like a good idea to me, I know Sony do something similar but they're pretty bulky things, this one looks like it could be quite useful.

19. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

If it's anything like the eeePC notebooks the RJ11 port is non-functional, the modem chip isn't even installed.

I installed, more soldering than installing, one onto my eeePC to allow voip (it's a Conexant 56K RD02-D110 if anyone is interested).

20. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

If they made a touchscreen model it would be perfect for kitchens and such, for music, media, ingredients and such.

Tags: Add Tags