1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC Cases Mineral oil PC build! Updates every second day!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 21 Mar 2009.

1. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Mineral oil just turns heads, people still ask me how parts can be fishtanked and survive and well, im about to find out first hand.

This computer is huge but small (mini ATX), its going to be dipped in oil so overclocking is a must and its going to be dual booting open source ubuntu and beta windows 7 which is interesting because I have yet to use either operating systems.

On top of this the case will be the show pony for my company "Epic PC Cases". News, reviews, forum and custom case building will all be launched once I finish the web side of things mid april.

I am currently pumping out a client build due for completion in two weeks and then I will be able to fully focus on this scratch build. Surprisingly though, I've already made quite a start.

Specs.

CPU: e5200
    Mobo: Mini atx P5n73-AM
    GFX: Integrated nvidia 7300 chip
    HDD: 500gig WD 7200rpm
    Pump: XSPC pump/res combo
    Rad: Swiftech 240mm Radiator

What will it look like?
    Something like this hopefully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worst drawings ever, I need to get my pc tablet fixed ><

So I made a start on the box keeping in mind that it would need to hold back around 4.5 litres of the mild laxative....mineral oil :p

[​IMG]
    Started shaving off the sides so it would all fit perfectly. The crevas would also account to any expanding the acrylic would do due to heat.

[​IMG]
    Assembling the pieces, all of them are 6mm thick!

[​IMG]
    Parts started to arrive. Mmmmmm xsm2 ram.....

[​IMG]
    Mini atx and the e5200....

[​IMG]
    The box that will be filled with oil

[​IMG]
    The pump, the corsair PSU and the box!

[​IMG]
    Got going on the mobo tray, epic tray!

[​IMG]
    Yes I know, much more filling to be done...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The tray installed. It slides up and down into the oil now.

[​IMG]
    More on this particular piece later, it will hold the powersupply, radiator, pump and harddrives.

[​IMG]

I'll sign off here, I think thats enough for one day.

Until next time. Btw do I ring the vets for mineral oil or is there some other way to get it?

Last edited: 24 Mar 2009
  2. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

My latest youtube vid shows a better progress of how this mod should turn out. The first part is the build im doing that has to be complete in 2 weeks.

The second part is the mineral oil pc that this log is based around. Worth a watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbkSI-56QCw

There is no immediate time constraints on this project so yeah, its a long ride!

3. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Subscribed :) It's looking good already ;)

There is another build very similar to this going on here, you could check the thread for details on mineral oil or whatever, I'm sure I saw somebody writing about where to get it before.

4. retrogamer1990

retrogamer1990 What does 'Stock' Mean?

I hope the "epic" means epic win and not epic fail! :p

5. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Heh, it will be epic either way! The case design looks pretty cool though.

6. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Thanks! Yeah ive been scrolling through his project log and it looks pretty well funded. I'll be ringing some vets on monday to see if I can secure a few litres of the stuff.

I'm not new but ive been lurking for ages, only recently have I decided to take an active posting interest in these forums. You can learn heaps just from watching other people!

Haha cheers, yes I hope it doesnt fail! Once its in the oil, no warranty >< .

7. beesbees

beesbees What's a Dremel?

Looks interesting, hope it works out OK!

8. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Another update?
    Yup :)

I said i’d harp on about this component some more and now, well im now im about to do just that. This is going to hang off the back of the computer, sure you wont be able to see it but that doesn’t mean it has to look crap.

Quite the opposite, the back will be adorned with the ultimate in cable management. The PSU will be right next to all the major components needing external power such as the HDDs, pump and radiator fans.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The PSU fits in the rails with 1mm to spare. Im starting to like this back bit.

[​IMG]
    Bit more work on it, this time installed the HDD mounts, the HDDs are mounted in such a way that they can get air flowing through them and at the same time have easy access to the PSU power cables.

[​IMG]
    An example of what a HDD will look like when mounted in the case. The pump and psu are sitting nice and plump, very space efficient. This case is going to be quite small, smaller than most people would have thought possible for a mineral oil system with a radiator.

[​IMG]
    Just another look at how the HDD mount will work.

[​IMG]
    On paper, this seemed like a good idea, supporting beams for the 240mm radiator, sure just glue them on, wait for the glue to dry and bend it all....what could possibly go wrong....? Idiot :p

[​IMG]
    The glue formed bubbles.....internally it cant be fixed without removing the panels and starting over but those who have used weldon16 know that once its on, theres no way that joint is ever, ever coming off.

Ive decided that ill sand both sides to give the frosted effect. Sure the radiator will be on there so you wont see it anyways but presentation counts for everything. Ill spend the extra time sanding and polishing the edges.

[​IMG]
    The whole unit, I can fit the pump, radiator, 3 HDDs, PSU and 2*120mm fans in a fairly small space.

More to come, I have two shipment of goodies arriving tomorrow!

9. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

As long as you don't have any leaks, this is starting to look like a pretty cool looking computer!

10. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

You cant imagine how scared I am that this thing will leak, mineral oil all over the carpet at a rental place :p not good.

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Two updates on two separate mods on the same day, modding marathon today : )
    So.....had a little change in plan after reading up on pudgets oil cooling adventure, they claim that a zalman resorator can easily cool the oil to accommodate some pretty hardcore components in which case my radiator cooled oil case with a mini atx was looking....well....massive overkill.

[​IMG]

To fix this problem or at least to make myself feel better I decided that changing the plan to allow the psu to be cooled by oil as well would in part make the project seem less like overkill.
    Achieving this feat would require almost doubling the weight of the computer which again brought in concerns just how well the case would stand. Sure 6mm is the king of solidness but even 6mm acrylic tremors in fear thinking about how 12 litres of mild laxative would hold on its frame.

[​IMG]
    The seemingly great idea of adding the PSU to the mix was thought up AFTER i had made the effort to go build a box....for the PSU.

[​IMG]

In any case, I should start commenting on these pictures instead of randomly posting them even though they are mildly self explanatory. The indents help create a better seal, the box hangs off the main frame, behind the main frame will be the now oil cooled PSU box which also houses the pump.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The theory behind putting in the lanes is that any expantion of the acrylic due to heat will not crack the case or the glue holding it together. We shall see how it survives the Australian summer in a few months.

[​IMG]

Needed a weight to put on till the glue dried :p sooo I used my other mod! http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=165501

Sitting nicely above that will be the HDD and somewhere, somewhere ill have to construct a box to put all those unsightly wires.

[​IMG]

Im in the process of editing a video that explains all of this in a mildly entertaining way, should be up by tonight if im not capped!

12. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

13. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Alright! Im modding pretty much every day or every second day so Ive changed the title of the thread to accomodate that, putting up "new update on said day" is just getting annoying :p

Ive decided to cool the psu which has given me new problems and challenges. I have a fair idea how to tackle several issues such as flow and weight distribution.

[​IMG]
    Weight distribution is a major issue. Going ahead with the plan to cool the psu adds around 15kgs to the case structure all hanging off one 6mm sheet which is already holding 20kgs. Ive decided to reinforce it with a 4.5mm sheet that will be bolted and glued to the frame.

[​IMG]
    This means that theres 10.5mm thick acrylic supporting the computer now. I have yet to test whether the "lanes" actually help in holding back the water but it makes mounting the enclosures on alot easier so its a method I might just adopt.

[​IMG]
    A hole will allow oil to flow between both enclosures.

[​IMG]
    Its all looking a bit strange atm but after tomorrow itll be standing upright and should make alot more sense!

Until tomorrow....

14. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

erm, quick question, are you sure the two sides are going to be of similar weights? or have you planned for ballast?

15. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

The front side will be slightly heavier than the backside but this has been accounted for in the design and yes I have planned for ballast :)

When the case is full of oil, both sides will have a level amount of water seeing as oil can freely flow from one tank to the other.

16. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Well I had a day off today so I decided to do some more modding. I actually managed to do some leak testing and strength testing on the case, filled the entire thing with water, theres a youtube vid on it that im currently editing.

I'll post the link when its uploaded.

[​IMG]
    Above, tungsten carbide being a *****.

The day didnt start well, my tungsten carbide drill bit which I always had thought was invincible bowed down and died in the face of a not so mighty foe, 6mm thick acrylic. I mean what the hell was it thinking?!?

[​IMG]
    But hey, those drill bits are cheap so I got another one and started reinforcing the frame with m3 bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Whats a case without a base? started the base bending.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    More reinforcing, thats 20mm's of acrylic bolted together to suppor the entire computer's weight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Finally! The case was standing on its own three feet.

[​IMG]
    Added the PSU box which holds...the psu, pump, HDD's (above the oil) and all the cable management.

[​IMG]
    Totally unrelated but my clients gear arrived at my door step, he bought some pretty nice stuff, noctua fans, 140mm kaze maru scythes, ultra 120 extreme :p

[​IMG]
    My radiator arrived!

[​IMG]
    The PSU and pump box, all bolted to the main case.

[​IMG]
    Front view of the case, youll be able to see the radiator and fans when installed.

[​IMG]
    Did a leak test and a wash out, the results of that test ill leave up to the video which shows it as it happens. Ill post the link soon!

17. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

18. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Well it was back to gluing after my initial leak test failed. One small leak just had to ruin it for everyone.

[​IMG]
    The leak area in question, still couldnt find it with the naked eye...glued the hell out of it anyway.

[​IMG]
    Components drying in the sun after a night of leak testing.

[​IMG]
    All glued up again, next leak test ill include the pump and hopefully have everything running for around 5 days before im happy with it.

[​IMG]
    This is how the components in the back box will look like. all but the hdd and radiator will be submerged though.

19. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Woohooo!

Got it on with some leak testing, some very mild leak testing mind you. But before I dive into that, lets start with the feet, they underwent surgery in a big way.

[​IMG]
    Now you see me

[​IMG]
    Now you dont :p

[​IMG]
    After putting in some supporting frames (thats alot of water), we were ready for some leak testing!

[​IMG]
    These black bars "click" into place to make sure the HDD's can be swapped easily and are secured.

[​IMG]
    One of the bays that will be filled with oil

[​IMG]
    The main bay, the water flows between the bays through the pump and radiators, there will be complete circulation of oil.

[​IMG]
    If I ever need to change the parts, i can easily debolt the PSU holder off the frame and replace it with quite a bit of ease.

[​IMG]
    I think im just going to absolutely love putting CD's into this case :p

Shoot me whatever questions you have, I cover pretty much everything in the progress build videos which are short, sharp and entertaining! Dont hestitate to subscribe to my youtube as I update it as much as I update here.

The link video for the content in this post can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re-c6xF_iKE

20. lolabunny087

lolabunny087 There's a first time for everything

Hi .. just wondering .. have you thought of the oil that u gonna be putting into this rig ? .. have u like chosen a particular brand of oil , type ? ... is there any reviews about the kinds of oils that are in the market which is best suited for a pc cooling mod ?

___________________________________________________________________________________
    MY CURRENT GAMING RIG
    Intel Core2duo E8400 3.0ghz w Thermalright Ultra Extreme120 HSF | Cooler Master COSMOS S | Gigabyte EP35DS3 | Sapphire RADEON HD4870X2 stock * need to change the damn cooler* | Corsair 4GB ddr2 667 RAM | 3 x 500gb Seagate HDD 16MB Sata II | Acbel 800w PSU | 2x LG DVD R/W | LG FLATRON L1952T 19" LCD monitor | Altec Lansing VS4121

Last edited: 2 Apr 2009