1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Evolution

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Editor22, 19 Jan 2010.

1. gnutonian

gnutonian What's a Dremel?

+1. I don't post my "encouragement" in project logs enough, but I'm one of the many anonymous visitors following them with great interest!

2. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks for taking the time this time :) half the fun of writing a log is knowing people are following along and getting their opinions.

3. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Right so with my gammy finger it was off to see what I could mess about with :)

First off I'm going to pad an otherwise light update with some old pictures I've been holding back on till I needed them :) so here we go...

To mount the PSU I needed to create a bracket, started off sticking a template to some 2mm aluminium sheet then cut it out with the jigsaw followed by a range of files.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done the same process with some blue plexi slapped in some hex mesh and it was time for a test fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that's the uber light update over and I realised I've been slacking with shots of the rear so heres a couple of full shots of how shes standing this evening :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

5. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks man I was just shooting through the beto log and thought exactly the same thing to
    http://tosed.dk/billeder/PC-Beto/update_7/12.JPG :thumb:
    I really wanted to save the PSU plate until it had been sanded and finished but felt it was time for a mini update lol.

6. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

hehehe thanks:D
    its good with updates:D how is cabling going to go?

7. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Something like this with each colour representing a different cable route

green & red = Mobo and gfx
    yellow = Lighting junction, dvd-rw & fan controller
    black = Power/reset etc

[​IMG]

Mind you that is likely to change once I get started, hopefully the wife will let me send nils an order this month :)

8. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Lookin better every update! Glad i subbed. :thumb:

Diggin the blue acrylic.

9. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Cheers Robby that blue stuff is lovely to work with, so much so I'm on the last scraps of a 1000mm x 600mm sheet :jawdrop:

10. ModaRobby

Never played with it myself. I'm just a fan of using my dremel tool to make extra holes in my case. heh heh. Ipod docks and what not right on the top.

11. jasric

jasric What's a Dremel?

Cool MOD

I think the work your doing is wicked. Cant wait to see the end result. :D

12. Vaptor-x

Vaptor-x What's a Dremel?

Great mod :thumb:

13. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Well its that time again :) as the project is called evolution I thought it only right that it evolves (that's my way of getting out of changing my mind so much lol)
    As you may know from the start I was unsure about my HDD mounting method so after much pondering that's changed. The reason being I'm going to be adding a second 240 stealth radiator in its position :)
    ok with that out of the way on with the log.

I started the day with some light sanding work on the bottom panel. Its not perfect but there's not a gap greater than 1mm so at this stage I'm fairly happy considering I'm a bit gun ho with measuring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I'm using 1/2" bars for the main frame of the case I've found that the number of screws being used due to the inability to pop out the rivet gun is getting out of control, plus there are certain panels and bits that I need to permanently attach to the bars. Not to be outdone I set about trying a method out on how to rivet the new PSU support bar into place.

Started off with the usual measuring and marking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was onto the drill press. I took a 3mm bit all the way through followed by a 8mm 75% which would serve to give the rivets 5mm bite inside the bar.
    [​IMG]

Popped them in and smiled as it was solid as a rock

[​IMG]

I also countersunk the top just for ascetics.

[​IMG]

The HDD rack is nothing special yet but I thought it best to share the progress.

Started with some more 2mm aluminium then marked, drilled and squared the piece.

[​IMG]

Tapped the 2 test drives to M4 and mounted them to the plate using 12mm rubber tap washers to stop nasty vibrations :eyebrow: This section then got mounted in place with some more M4 button heads threaded through some grommets.

[​IMG]

All fitted with the test hardware

[​IMG]

14. ModaRobby

Lookin better every time bro. Keep it up. What type of paint is the outside going to be? i.e. Gloss or Matte?

15. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Cheers Robby, I'm thinking of going gloss black for the outside and satin black for the inside but haven't sprayed anything in about 10 years so if it all goes wrong I may just send it of for a powdercoat.

16. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

MAN that would look tits with 2 velociraptors downthere:D really digg the hdd mounting :rock:

17. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I wish pope... Maybe ill get really lucky and find an SSD in one of my birthday boxes lol till then its a lonely 320gig F1.

Thought I'd post a pic of what I was up to today, started work on the 2 bottom panels and also received the aluminium for the sides. Now Ive gone really close up for this one to show how its almost a perfect fit but not quite. I'm a total perfectionist so its going to bug me but as its only a 0.75mm gap and will be covered I'm trying to forget its there :p

[​IMG]

If all goes to plan I should be bringing an update containing shots with all the side panels cut and fixed tomorrow :)

18. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

put some bondo on that thing, and seal it shot for good:D

19. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

A little gap like that is perfectly acceptable. Please don't bondo it :(

20. ModaRobby

That would look tits.... Lmfao.

Anyway, so Gloss on the outside and Satin on the inside. All black. Nice.

And i wouldn't worry about the gap. If you are going to have lights inside, like the blue i've been seeing, then you might want to seal it up. Or put some tape on the inside of the gap. You don't want a seam of blue light leaking out.

EDIT: I just realized in your post that you said it's going to be covered..... So on that note, **** it. :thumb: